I Lost 10lbs in 4 Days; Is This Healthy?

Options
So I've started a simple regiment of eating better/less (within 300 to 500 cal. of my daily goal usually) though I have gone over on occasion. Before I started tracking my intake through MFP I was largely sedentary at home, though my work demands I be up on my feet and moving around a bit.

As a compliment to my eating I've started walking/jogging around a small path in my apartment complex. I average about 4mph and do go for an hour (thus I go 4 miles).

My initial weigh-in (Jan. 1st) on my scale said 303.5 lbs. Today I had an itch of curiosity and decided to step on it just to see. It said 293.5! I'm not sure how to feel about this. Is it just water weight? Is it actual fat burning? Either way I'm not sure it's as healthy a result as it seems.

Anyone have a clue/tips/way for me to be sure? Unfortunately it didn't occur to me to take a resting heart rate at the start of my journey, so I can't be sure if I take one now that nothing has gone awry. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Water weight and/or normal body fluctuations. Did you weigh in the same clothing, and had you consumed any food or drink beforehand?

Many people experience this at the start of a diet - it's not something to worry about. If you continue to lose at this rate, then you can worry. (Won't happen.)
  • pyiiwakitt
    Options
    Many people experience this at the start of a diet - it's not something to worry about. If you continue to lose at this rate, then you can worry. (Won't happen.)

I totally agree it drops off pretty fast at the start and then you'll plateau, that's where i'm at now.
  • MHunte
    MHunte Posts: 149
    Options
    I don't think its fat, i think its water weight.. weigh yourself next week on the same day and see what it says.
  • MHunte
    MHunte Posts: 149
    Options
    if all you are eating is berries that weight will fall off like a ton of bricks......
  • DocNorton
    Options
    I'd say water - normally when you start out you get a big loss.

The same happens when you start out lifting weights - affectionately know as "Noob Gains"; you find that you gain a lot of muscle mass so I suppose you could call it "noob loss".

Make the most of it and good luck on the new plan :)