Whats more important sleep or exercise???

Options
I have been beating myself up for not working out everyday. I read everyones posts about their awsome workouts and I am trying to figure out when I could fit it in. So any advice would be helpful.
I work 2 jobs. I am a baker in a grocery store so I work from 2am to 7am 5 days a week. Never the same days. Then mon-fri I have a daycare from 7am to 5pm then dinner and if I have to work that nite I try to get to bed by 8 so I can get at least 5-5 1/2 hrs of sleep. I try to do some type of activity on the nites I dont have to work. Is that enough??? Or should I push myself to workout everyday and just get less sleep.

Replies

• MattArcade
    MattArcade Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    man thats a hell of a work life! maybe just start with getting your diet right, eat the right things and eat your daily calorie goals. Work out when you can and have energy to do so - maybe eat more on exercise days so you don't knacker yourself out. Take it steady and do little steps at a time. At day care do I suppose you get a lunch hour? What if you ate throughout the day and used lunch to go for a walk outside to jog or something? Leave your evenings to unwind
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Don't cut your sleep. Two jobs can you bike to them jobs or is there not enough time in between. How about just parking a half mile a way from business or at the other end of the parking lot. I know it is not enough but cutting to much sleep and your workouts will be not much anyway.
  • deblc6836
    Options
    You work in a bakery and a daycare...that's hardly a sedentary lifestyle. Work out when you have a day off, and cut yourself some slack. A recent study showed that if you sleep an extra hour each night, you'll lose 14 pounds in a year...and I think you deserve that extra hour of sleep!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    sleep....but in an ideal world if both can be had in adequate amounts would be best.
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    As a fellow foodworker, I get the odd hours thing. I have given up on sleep. I have no time for it. I get up at 3:50am, get 45 mins on the ski machine, then shower and head to work for 12-14 hours.

I am lucky to get 5 hours a day. It is tough on the body, not sleeping.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    The two are not mutually exclusive. BOTH are important, not only to weight loss, but to your health in general. I agree with the previous posters about getting the eating right and trying to fit exercise into your every day routine, but if that is the work schedule you have, I'm not sure I have any answers for you as to how to fit more exercise in.
    Zumba with the day care kids?
    Kaye
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    As a Baker & a daycare worker, you are most likely on your feet and moving a lot. This is exercise!
    How have you set yourself up in MFP? I work in an office so I have set my profile as sedentary. You are obviously not sedentary!
    Best bet is to get the rest you need and then follow the calorie suggestions made by MFP for your category of daily activity.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Sleep & the correct diet are going to be your best friends. Exercise has become more prevalent because we lead increasingly sedentary lives. You are burning the cals through "light exercise" & just need to concentrate on sleep, without adequate sleep you could be putting yourself (or the little ones) in danger. If & when you have down time do what you can & REMEMBER judge yourself by your efforts NOT others :)

Russ