Greek Yogurt

Options
I've only had two tastes of greek yogurt. The first time I about puked, but today tried just a spoonful someone had at coffee & it wasn't to bad. Is there an advantage over regular yogurt? I know it has more protien & calories, but is there a reason everybody eats it? The brand I tasted today was Chobani? I think. Do you use this as a meal or just a snack, & do you eat other things with it or in it. Is it just for breakfast? I know this sounds dumb, but I'm kind of new to yogurt anyway & just wondering what all the rave is.

Replies

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I eat Greek yogurt b/c of the extra protein and I simply like it. I get the fruit at the bottom kind and eat it with a meal or alone as a snack. I typically have one a day.
  • kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Since it is less sweet than regular yogurt, I don’t really ever eat it plain. I actually use it as a substitute for anything needing sour cream... Baked potatoes, dressings, dips, on top of eggs in the mornings…. mmmm.....
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I prefer Greek but honestly? Why eat something you don't enjoy? I eat it because I like the taste, it is high in protein and calcium. I eat it plain so it is very low cal (100 calories for 6 oz. of Fage plain). Sometimes, like today, I mix in berries (or honey) but the pre-sweetened ones are a bit cloying for my taste.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I don't much like it........and it has more calories than most other yogurts. I'll eat it on occasion for the xtra protein, but I prefer Yoplait Thick & Creamy (it's like custard.....none of that icky/lumpy texture that other yogurts have.)
  • Stoonloveskeith
    Stoonloveskeith Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Greek Yogurt!! When I first tried it, I had bought a no name brand and it was discusting and I thought I would never eat it again and then I found Danone Oikos Greek Yogurt with blueberries on the bottom...so creamy and smooth, before you give up Greek Yogurt you need to try this one ;)
  • rellyfive
    Options
    I eat Greek yogurt because of the protein it is really hard for me to find things to eat in order to eat enough protein and Greek yogurt has a good amount but it is very dry in my opinion so I eat the Fage 2% with honey (the honey comes with it in the little containers) and it is DELICIOUS!
  • artcaro1972
    Options
    Greek yogurt = easy "cheap" protein. By cheap I mean few calories for the volume of protein. This is true at least, for the no fat, plain versions. I try to get at least 2g protein for 1g carb (sugar) in things like yogurt. They all fail miserably so I do plain, 0% Fage with berries and walnuts. I am lucky in that I don't like sweets so this works well for me.

Down sides of Greek yogurt, as I see it, are higher cost and less calcium than regular yogurts.
  • careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I love Chobani Greek Yogurt. They also have a kids version that I think is good. I have had others but they were very bad. I prefer this yogurt over others because of the protein. I usually eat it as a snack and add granola to it. However I agree with another poster - if you don't like it, don't eat it.
  • brooke4fitness
    brooke4fitness Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love it - it's like a healthy treat for me. It's lower in calories than regular yogurt, but has a lot more protein. I like the thick consistency too. 120 calories left in the food diary and need more protein? Greek yogurt is perfect!
  • infosynth
    infosynth Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of fat-free food but I will say that, after side-by-side comparisons, I settled on fat-free Fage greek yoghurt. It's delicious by itself (no sugar or fruit-on-the-bottom=empty calories) and I only need 1/2 cup to feel full. It tastes fresh and creamy, not sour like some others, including Chobani.
  • happymiche
    happymiche Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I prefer it over other yogurt...the consistency is soo good. I prefer Dannon Oikos or Chobani.
  • lookfierce
    Options
    Fage total greek is the best, I have it most days for breakfast as it's so low carb compared to normal natural yoghurt.
  • momma2jillian07
    momma2jillian07 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Chobani Pineapple is THE BEST!!!!!!! Add some granola if you need to. Its awesome because there is twice as much protein as other regular yogurts but 0 fat! YAY!! And NO artificial sweeteners, BONUS!!!
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I like the consistency and texture of the Greek yogurt. The LIght and Fit is too smooth, and feels sort of "fake" to me. Chobani also keeps me full much longer.

When I eat the vanilla, I add fresh or canned fruit to it. Delicious! I tend to not eat the plain.

I eat Greek yogurt at times for breakfast as a stand-alone, for lunch with a piece of fruit or bowl of oatmeal, or rarely as a part of my dinner. I also keep them in the fridge for snacks. I eat 5-8 a week. Delicious! Love how much protein I can get from it.
  • Mrsasessions
    Options
    I use it instead of sour cream. I also use it when I make greek food.
  • Karinwallhansen
    Options
    I eat about one a day now for breakfast but I just get the vanilla or plain and add whatever fruit I feel like eating. Usually pinapple or berries
  • Karinwallhansen
    Options
    I eat about one a day now for breakfast but I just get the vanilla or plain and add whatever fruit I feel like eating. Usually pinapple or berries
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Chobani here. Fat free version. I've been mixing it with granola/dried fruit as Ive run out of whey protein recently
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    blah
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I prefer Greek but honestly? Why eat something you don't enjoy? I eat it because I like the taste, it is high in protein and calcium. I eat it plain so it is very low cal (100 calories for 6 oz. of Fage plain). Sometimes, like today, I mix in berries (or honey) but the pre-sweetened ones are a bit cloying for my taste.

Me too.

I sweeten it myself. In the summer this means 50% yogurt 50% strawberries, peaches, plums, apricots or other berries.
    In the winter I have it with some granola or jam or occasionally frozen berries or mangos.

One of my absolute favorite ways to eat it is to make a raita or a cold cumber soup:
    plain yogurt, chopped cucmber, chopped herbs: parsley, mint, basil, cilantro or any combo of the above, salt, pepper, lemon juice, a little bit of olive oil. You caneat this plan, serve it beside indian food, dip veggies or toasted pitas in it.

Depending on if you use greek or regular plain yogurt, the texture will be suitable for soup or dip. :)

Another favorite: I add a bit of honey and use it as "whipped cream" on top of a bowl of fruit.