Neightbor Issue!! Input Needed Please!!!

Options

Replies

• Buca412
    Buca412 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Forget the note. In all honesty, they'll laugh it off as you have no authority over them. This is what the property manager is for. Report it and let them address the issue. If it continues, then make sure you let management know. Leaving a note is only going to make the situation worse for you and your daughter, especially if management has no knowledge of the situation.

FORGET THE NOTE!!! REPORT IT TO THE PROPERTY MANAGER!! PERIOD!!
  • lmclean58
    lmclean58 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm a landlord in CA. In many cities and counties it is illegal to smoke in common areas in apartment buildings and public places. In my county an ordinance was just passed that makes it illegal to smoke within 25 feet of an exterior door or window; smoking in common areas of apartment complexes is illegal and smoking in most business/restaurants/hotels is not allowed either.

So. Go to the manager and see what your local laws are and ask them to be enforced. If there aren't any laws covering this, then ask for some common courtesy rules for smoking in your complex.

Good luck!
  • audreanna76
    Options
    Don't put the sign up yourself. It will only cause bigger issues. You need to contact the apartment manager and have them put the sign up or speak to the neighbors.
    18828 Posts: 1
    Options
    I think this is something you should go to the apartment manager for, instead of taking it into your own hands. Let them hang the signage and if that doesn't resolve the issue, then speak with the offenders directly after that.
    [/quote]
  • ShrinkingChelle
    Options
    Yes, please talk to property management directly and ask if they have a solution for the smoke entering your apartment. You can't enforce those signs, they can.

Yep!

I agree that you should talk to property management.
  • CrystalMarie253
    Options
    I would go to the manger or landlord and ask them to deal with it. That is what they are there for. I would stay out of it personally if possible.
  • loserforlife
    Options
    I think this is something you should go to the apartment manager for, instead of taking it into your own hands. Let them hang the signage and if that doesn't resolve the issue, then speak with the offenders directly after that.

I agree I think that you should have the right to live smoke free go to the manger and make them handle it this way you avoid all the stress. Cause you never know their temperment.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    <<< I'm in commercial real estate. Don't try to handle this directly, please. You don't know how the neighbors are going to respond, and it could be ugly. You also don't know if the neighbors have permission from the manager to actually smoke in the laundry room. I would suggest communicating to the manager in very general terms, mentioning that you are having issues with smoke leaking into your apartment, would there possibly be some sort of insulation or seal that could be installed to prevent this from occurring? Make sure you put it in writing, and don't name suspected smoker names. Just health concerns and request for remediation.

Then leave it up to them. The letter in writing might be useful if you have to break a lease.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options

This
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    As a former property manager and landlord, your sign, well intended as it may be will cause more harm than good. First off, NEVER reveal THAT much personal information this day in age. You're asking for trouble. How do you know one of the smokers isn't a sex offender? You don't.

Is there a building code or rule that specifically states there is no smoking in the laundry room? If yes, then you need to inform the landlord or manager. A simple fix could be putting smoke detectors in there. There should be some in there anyway. Any signage needs to be from the owner/manager to be legal. If smoking is allowed in that particular room, sorry to say but you're out of luck unless the owner/manager offers to help you.

Good luck. As a non-smoker with allergies, I sympathize.
  • peacefulwhisper
    peacefulwhisper Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree. You should definatley talk to the manager. Let them deal with it. If that doesn't work then try the sign.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    I agree to. This is a 'house rules' problem, and the landlord is the administrator of the community rules. To prevent a negative reaction, it's much better to let management handle this issue.

It's sad to see that people are still THAT inconsiderate by smoking in a common area. I am a HUGE fan of 'no smoking' laws and restrictions.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    where do you live? If you have a clean indoor air act in your state there is probably no smoking in that laundry room anyway. Check that out and get some NO SMOKING signs (or get the management) and get them hung up. Then get a smoke detector and place it in the laundry room. :)

It's not right that you smell that from a common area.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree that you should NEVER confront the offenders face to face, or post a sign with any personal information such as your name, apartment number or location. There are lots of crazies out there, and anyone who smokes is mentally deficient to start with anyway. My brother's a cop, and he gets called to domestic disputes all the time where a neighbor has confronted another neighbor who reacted violently to a perfectly reasonable request.

Go to your apartment manager. They have an obligation to make sure their tenants are following the rules of the complex as well as the local laws. If you were assured that the building/apartment was non-smoking, then they have a legal obligation to you as well.
    And keep going until something is done. Every time we have a maintenance or other issue in my complex, it takes me a very long time to get any response. But if you keep going back, politely repeating yourself every few days, eventually they'll address the problem. If for no other reason than to get you to leave them alone. :smile: I am also careful to document every request. I make copies of any notes that I leave, I note which receptionist I talk to on which date, etc. So that way if it gets to the point where I feel I should withhold rent until repairs are made, I have documentation of how hard I tried to resolve the situation first. But you should not have to put up with a situation where other residents are endangering your health.

And, I cannot stress enough, DO NOT attempt to confront the offenders or let them know who you are. That could be very, very dangerous for both you and your daughter.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    ...and anyone who smokes is mentally deficient to start with anyway.

Wow, really? Discriminate much?
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    and anyone who smokes is mentally deficient to start with anyway.

Negates anything else you have to say
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    ...and anyone who smokes is mentally deficient to start with anyway.

Wow, really? Discriminate much?
    ^This^

I'd be surprised if people are allowed to smoke in the laundry room, after all, who wants their laundry to smell of smoke? Seems odd to me.

Anyways, I agree with going to the manager.
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Any updates? I agree with everyone else in that you should not handle this yourself and go to the management. Chances are if they don't care enough to not smoke in a public laundry room, they are not going to care they it is causing an issue for anyone else. They know that other people use that room and even if it didn't come into your apartment, others are being are being subjected to this as well whenever they use the laundry room.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Well, instead of putting a note through their door, I think it's probably best to hang a note up. Reason being that I'm pretty sure I know which of my neighbors is smoking in the laundry room but not 100% positive because really it could be any of the neighbors that live in our apartment building. (There are five units in my building). So, I think it may be a combination of different people that live in the building. The laundry room is meant to be a community laundry room that we can all use & I think several of my neighbors smoke and just do it inside the laundry room to avoid having to go out in the cold to smoke.
    If smoking is not allowed on the property, than they can be evicted. Tell managment and let them handle it. Do you have an onsite manager or do you have to go through property managment? They would so be evicted if they lived here!! We don't tolorate that behavior, but we are lucky to have tenants who are considerate of the non smokers living here. :)
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    move out! Get a better place, or look to buy a house. So many of them out there being given away, a lot cheaper than rent.