Pet peeves at the gym-_-

Options

Replies

• lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Wow... all of this makes me so grateful I work out at home :flowerforyou: But then again, my youngest sons undo my barbells and hide my swiss ball... :ohwell:
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    There's a gym down the hall from where I work, so we get free passes.

Guess my biggest annoyance, to date would be my work colleagues laughing when I try to lift weights -because I always go for the smallest. Hey, you gotta start somewhere..

Either that, or the guys deciding that you *need* to do *this, that, or the other* to work out properly!

Ehhh. AnnoyinG!

S
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    definitely slow swimmers in the fast lane.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Way too many to mention however if I was to narrow it down to my top 3 pet peeves then it would be...

-Reading magazines/books on the cardio machines, c´mon are you really wanting to work out or do you just want to catch up on the latest celeb gossip.

no problem there. I've read time to time on the machines ... helps pass the time and takes your mind off of the work so you can go longer. not sure what that matters at all to anyone.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    For me it is the people who do not listen to the instructor and then try to compensate by putting all their strength into moves where they do not know/understand the technique. Always ends up with my wrist, shoulder, ankle or neck getting wrenched!
  • houstonmacbro
    houstonmacbro Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I know there are a lot of weird things that people do at the gym. What are some of your pet peeves you see at the gym. My personal favs are people that sit in one spot and text for an hour.... but dont worry they still went to the gym lol. And the people that stay on one machine/bench and refuse to allow you to work in with them or even move until they've done their 12th set.

Mine are generally the following (not necessarily in this order):

1. Loud talking and socializing (go have your buddy chats in a bar or the barbershop!)
    2. Shaving, cutting fingernails, and/or other personal hygiene habits not generally associated with bathing or showering (this includes cleaning out your nose, trimming nose hairs, and other things that should be done at home!)
    3. Sweating to the point of WATER (read: Sweat!) collecting in puddles around the machines - GROSS! ... get a towel

Other than that, it's like whatever.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    The only thing that bothers me at the gym is when my gym crush isn't there. LOL
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    When people don't clean the machines after they use them. I want nothing to do with other people's sweat, etc. :grumble: :noway:

This! I don't need your germs!

I also get frustrated when two or more people come in together and have a LOUD conversation. I'm going to go deaf from my iPod so you can get your weekly chat in.

And seriously... why torture yourself by watching THE FOOD NETWORK while you work out??

That's all. :)

My gym ALWAYS has the Food Network on. And it seems like when I go, it's all baked goods on - my weakness!
  • mom2nate08
    mom2nate08 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    -People who take your spot in class when you go to get water during a break. That is just not on!

[/quote]

This one. Definitely this one.
  • MissJackie88
    Options
    For me it has to be when a guy is looking OVER you to look at the much hotter girl in the tight spandex and sports bar on the other side of me, or even worse tries to start a conversation that way..seriously? Or people who sit and TEXT on a machine instead of, you know, using it.
  • jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    24 hour fitness -
    When people keep farting while I'm on the elliptical and I still have over a half an hour to go... if it smells more than once get out of there!

Also when a personal trainer comes up to me and says I should take my hands off the bars on the tread mill while I'm walking... I have bad balance, leave me alone!

When a personal trainer offers me a free session and then gets mad when I turn it down.
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    When people don't clean the machines after they use them. I want nothing to do with other people's sweat, etc. :grumble: :noway:

I also get frustrated when two or more people come in together and have a LOUD conversation. I'm going to go deaf from my iPod so you can get your weekly chat in.

And seriously... why torture yourself by watching THE FOOD NETWORK while you work out??

I think we must work out at the same gym. LOL
  • mcrmsi77
    mcrmsi77 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    * not cleaning off the machines after they are done yuck!!! One guy seriously left a pool of sweat on a machine!!
    * being followed by a guy that hits on everyone in the gym
    * the people that come in there just to show off and pick up people
    * the people that go to the 30 minute circuit area and sit and chat even when I go over there to actually work out and they still won't move!!!!!! why even come!
    * people who make fun of other people while they are working out
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    When people keep farting while I'm on the elliptical and I still have over a half an hour to go... if it smells more than once get out of there!
    Ah, c'mon! He who smelt it, dealt it! 'Fess up!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is the guy who ripped his shorts and is trying to have a conversation with me with his junk hanging in my face. Worse yet, he's OLD!
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    My personal favs are people that sit in one spot and text for an hour.... but dont worry they still went to the gym lol.

Exactly! I know people who do that all the time, then come complaining to me about how they're not losing any weight :/

Other pet peeves:
    - People who don't wipe down the equipment after using it.
    - People who stand in front of gym machines and chat (A.K.A not letting me get through to use said machine)
    - People who use a machine for less than 5 minutes, switch to another, then another (all of the exact same type i.e "treadmill").
    - People who give up during class warm ups.
    - People who make loud moaning and groaning noises. There is NO need for that. It's obnoxious. Save it for a bedroom.
    - People who use treadmills to read magazines. What a waste of energy (and I mean electrical)
    - When some people form little cliques in classes; some people never grow up.
    - When people try to talk to me during a sprint while my ear phones are clearly in my ears, haha. Why?!!?!
    - People who sit naked in the sauna..in co-ed gyms and womens only gyms.
    - People who keep weighing themselves at the gym (especially at night, that's not your real weight...)

Haha, that's all for now.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I don't really have pet peeves... But there are a set of things that I do in the gym as a ritual:

- Leave my things next to the bench so when I superset an exercise, nobody takes it from me.
    - Change without covering up anything in the locker room. I typically perform my cooldown session here and walk @ 3.5mph pace in circles around he lockers in the center.
    - I sweat on every machine, but the staff is paid to clean it up so I leave my excess on there in support of their job security
    - I text in between sets
    - I talk on the cell phone while on the treadmills, I make sure that my tone is loud enough so the people around me don't get odd feelings of me talking about them when I'm not
    - I swear at myself out loud when I don't reach the final rep of my last set.
    - I don't just drop weights, I slam them.. this ensures that my company, around the gym, knows that I'm working diligently
    - I bring food with me to eat while I'm doing cardio on the bike... gotta make sure I hit all of my macros.

And that about does it.
  • houstonmacbro
    houstonmacbro Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    -People who take your spot in class when you go to get water during a break. That is just not on!

This one. Definitely this one.
    [/quote]

What kinda wolves do y'all workout with!?!
  • mcrmsi77
    mcrmsi77 Posts: 216 Member
    Options

My gym ALWAYS has the Food Network on. And it seems like when I go, it's all baked goods on - my weakness!
    hahahahaahahahahaah do you go to planet fitness?? They do the same thing drives me up the wall!! Its always something that i can not eat!!!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Why does reading during cardio bother so many people? How does it affect you? Is it any different than watching TV or listening to music?