Ethiopian food??

Options
Hi all,

So one of life changes is to try new ethnic food. So far so good! On Sunday I am going to try ethiopian food. Can anyone give me some good healthy ideas to order?

Thanks!

Replies

• nicolenemec
    Options
    I love trying new food but there isn't much cultural diversity in Northern MN. We have a couple of americanized mexican places and a single americanized indian place. We have a couple of chinese food places and just recently we got a hibachi grill and a couple of sushi places (not GOOD sushi but at least we have them). Just think Duluth is the largest city in MN north of the twin cities! I say read everything on the menu order one thing you know you will like and another that you have no clue what it really is. I used to let my friends order for me when we went someplace that was't american or italian when I lived in CA and I found that was a great way to try new things. I would also peruse the menu for anything I never heard of before. I miss Korean and Greek, good sushi and the seafood of the coast! Get a appetizer sampler for sure!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    omg i love ethiopian food!!! i love anything made with lentils, personally. i love misir, which is red lentils cooked in berbere sauce.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Gomen wot is stewed collard greens served with injera. My favourite.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I love Ethiopian food! Doro wat on some nice injera, plenty of berbere! Sorry that's not helpful...
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Ethiopian food is delicious and very plant based; though I would be wary of some dishes that use a lot of peanuts/ peanut butter.

Your best bets are probably Wat (stews) or Berbere chicken....steer clear of anything with Niter Kibbeh-- it's a ton of clarified butter.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I love ethiopian as well. There is a lot of spice cross over between indian and ethiopian.

Here are two tips:
    1. go slow on the injera, it will fill you up
    2. remember the injera on your plate is really good since it has been soaking up all the flavors

There are lots of dishes with lentils and split peas. The salad is yummy, and is basically lettuce with lemon juice so it is unlimited. You usually get a few stewed veggies in the middle: carrots, cabbage, potatoes. Chow down on the carrots and cabbage, but leave the potatoes for you friends.

Eat all of the gomen dishes to your hearts content, greens are good! One place near me has a gomen dish with chicken, that is one of my faves.

Eat slowly, you'll be stuffed and tempted by all of the choices. Most things are pretty healthy.

There is also a cottage cheese sort of side dish, I forgot the name of it.

You can't go wrong with at least one of the vegetarian combo plates for your group, and order 1 less entree than you have diners.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I say read everything on the menu order one thing you know you will like and another that you have no clue what it really is.
    Get a appetizer sampler for sure!

I do like the idea of ordering one thing you're sure about and one thing you're not. That sounds interesting.
  • aliciaann16
    aliciaann16 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    ethiopian food is delicious! i'm currently in the process of my first try at making my own batch of injera (no idea if it will come out edible) they have plenty of options that are low in fat and high in nutrients. the servers should be able to tell you which items are dairy free and that would be the easiest way to make a healthy choice. (if possible get a sampler dish a place by me has a "tour of ethiopia" dish that gives you a little bit of everything.) amazing!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Ethiopian food is one of my favorites. It is actually very healthy even with the clarified butter. The lentils are amazing but they are also known for their beef if you eat meat. It is delicious. You will have a huge selection to choose from and can generally get a sampler for the table if everyone is up for that. It's a great way to try all the meats and veggie dishes. and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions if you aren't sure. Every place I've gone to has been happy to help me make choices. They know it's not food some of us eat every day, (or ever). Have fun and enjoy the experience.
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I love Ethiopian food, lots of choices perfect for vegetarians! It can be high in calories. When I tried it the first time, I asked the waiter how each thing was made and if the cook could "go light" on butters and nut based flavors. He said no problem and I've been going back ever since!:flowerforyou:

I suggest googling the restaurant, checking out the menu and then googling anything that doesn't seem familiar. I didn't know what injera bread was before I did that!

Here's a link that might help: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/ethiopia/travel-tips-and-articles//75930#photo-1216-27

Our local place was featured on Diner's Drive Ins and Dives (not strictly Ethiopian but it's great!)
    Yekik We't Ethiopian Platter
    Spicy split baby red peas, yellow lentils, and sauteed collard greens served with traditional injera bread.

Sláinte
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I say read everything on the menu order one thing you know you will like and another that you have no clue what it really is.
    Get a appetizer sampler for sure!

I do like the idea of ordering one thing you're sure about and one thing you're not. That sounds interesting.

Great advice. :heart:
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Ethiopian food is so good! You'll love it. It's mainly stews, and you "scoop" up bites with injera (bread). If I'm at a restaurant with a group of people, we usually get one of the sample platters. They'll have a couple of bean/lentil things and a couple of meat stews on top of injera. Then you can have little bites of everything.

Take it easy with the injera (it's easy to overeat and fill up), but really, you can't go wrong. Ethiopian food is not fried or greasy or sugary. It's a lot of stewed legumes with a little meat here and there. It's really good!
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Misir & dora wat are two of my faves. Being from Uganda ()next to Ethiopia) our food tends to be similar so I'm partial to the taste :)

Most of the food is pretty healthy and you can always ask for them to cook with less butter.

Enjoy!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    The injera is so phenomenally yummy that it is very easy to overdo. Especially the injera that the food is sitting on because it has been soaking up the sauces and is extra delicious. It always feels like the spongy injera expands in my belly after I eat it. It's probably because I overate though.

Enjoy!
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Doro Wot is a beautifully rich chicken dish. I've made it about 4 times and you can't imagine how good the house smells while it's cooking.

If you're adventurous, Kitfo is amazing. It's the Ethiopian version of Steak Tartare. LOVE it!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Wow. This thread has me salivating.

Please don't judge Minnesota based on This thread. I am confident I can find an Ethiopian restaurant and several interesting dining companions who are game to try it. Even outside the twin cities.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Ethiopian food is one of my favorites. It is actually very healthy even with the clarified butter. The lentils are amazing but they are also known for their beef if you eat meat. It is delicious. You will have a huge selection to choose from and can generally get a sampler for the table if everyone is up for that. It's a great way to try all the meats and veggie dishes. and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions if you aren't sure. Every place I've gone to has been happy to help me make choices. They know it's not food some of us eat every day, (or ever). Have fun and enjoy the experience.

Of course everyone is always happy to help you make your menu choices. Look at you. When I show up, on the other hand, It's a 45 minute wait for a table and they put me back by the kitchen when one does become available.
  • forherbyher
    Options
    Ethiopian food is delicious and very plant based; though I would be wary of some dishes that use a lot of peanuts/ peanut butter.

Your best bets are probably Wat (stews) or Berbere chicken....steer clear of anything with Niter Kibbeh-- it's a ton of clarified butter.

Lol...peanut butter?! I'm not sure where you tried this, but Ethiopians don't use peanuts in dishes EVER. In fact, we don't even have it in our diet.

I know this is an old thread, but if anyone is interested, the best thing is to order vegan meals, which Ethiopians and Eritreans have tons of since there's often several fasting days throughout the year when no animal products can be used. You'll have a choice of meals made with of lentils, chickpeas, veggies in different stews - some made of berbers others made with turmeric and other spices.

Some restaurants offer teff injera, which is gluten-free.