Healthy Breakfast I Can Make at Work

Options
Hey all!

I started my healthy eating plan recently, but I need to make some edits. My goal is 1300 calories/day, but this week I've fallen short every day. I want to re-work my breakfast to be a bigger meal, but I have some qualifications:

1) I need it to be between 200-400 calories and
2) I need it to something I can put together/make in the microwave at work. I have a loooong commute and don't have time to do breakfast at home.

Any healthy options you guys know of? My oatmeal and fruit isn't cutting it anymore!

Replies

• sgilmour83
    Options
    I had a similar issue. I've started to eat turkey sausage to make me feel more full at breakfast. Jimmy Dean does some that are pure turkey and it's only 70 calories for three links. They are pre-cooked so you just stick them in the microwave for 30 secs to heat them up. You can also use egg beaters in the microwave for quick scrambled eggs. Hope that this helps!
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    ive made up breakfast sandwiches ahead of time and put them in the fridge to grab in the morning.. eggwhites with whatever you want in them on bagel thins . and of course oatmeal is good .just put a 1/2c in a tupperware container so all you have to do when you get to work is put water in it and zap it in the microwave. if you want more protein than what oatmeal has to offer bring along a greek yogurt or throw in a serving of protein powder in the oatmeal

im a big one on cooking a hand full of meals on a saturday or sunday to get ready for my week because i am on the run alot too .
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I too was going to suggest oatmeal. I start with thus and then an hour or so later grab a granola bar. Puts me around 250 calories.
  • skedzie
    skedzie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Fruit is always a good option to add in....yummy, easy and good for you!
  • noiva
    noiva Posts: 94
    Options
    I had a similar issue. I've started to eat turkey sausage to make me feel more full at breakfast. Jimmy Dean does some that are pure turkey and it's only 70 calories for three links. They are pre-cooked so you just stick them in the microwave for 30 secs to heat them up. You can also use egg beaters in the microwave for quick scrambled eggs. Hope that this helps!

The turkey sausage sounds like a great idea. Sounds like I could add that to my oatmeal and fruit routine for a more filling breakfast. Thanks!
  • noiva
    Options
    ive made up breakfast sandwiches ahead of time and put them in the fridge to grab in the morning.. eggwhites with whatever you want in them on bagel thins . and of course oatmeal is good .just put a 1/2c in a tupperware container so all you have to do when you get to work is put water in it and zap it in the microwave. if you want more protein than what oatmeal has to offer bring along a greek yogurt or throw in a serving of protein powder in the oatmeal

im a big one on cooking a hand full of meals on a saturday or sunday to get ready for my week because i am on the run alot too .

I'm trying to steer clear of too many carbs in these first few weeks, but I will definitely do the pre-assembled sandwich when I'm ready for more bread products. :) I've been eating Greek yogurt for a snack, so it makes sense to move that one up to breakfast!
  • noiva
    Options
    I too was going to suggest oatmeal. I start with thus and then an hour or so later grab a granola bar. Puts me around 250 calories.

That's also a good suggestion...add a snack closer to breakfast instead of making breakfast bigger. So many good ideas!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl has some things that you can cook in microwave, Like egg cups.
    I like oatmeal, with nuts and dried fruit.
    Pre cooked turkey sausage, Vita Tops...
    Lots of fiber and protein will help keep you full :)
  • Akahime
    Akahime Posts: 35
    Options
    I mix up flax pancake batter and keep it in the fridge. A 1/4 cup spooned onto a plate takes 1 1/2 min to cook in the microwave then top with greek yogurt and berries. It keeps me full all morning.
  • fnm101
    fnm101 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If you like hard boiled eggs, you could boil some in advance. They last a couple of days in the refrigerator.

I also like to drink unsweetened soy milk; it's thicker than skim milk, which may help your satiety.

Best wishes!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Boiled egg with an ounce of cheese and a Fiber One bar.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Well, why not make a protein shake at home and then drink it at work (just shake it up when you get there - but blend at home).

1 scoop vanilla whey
    1 tb cocoa powder
    1 cup blueberries
    1 cup almond milk

I think it's a little over 200 calories, but I also add wheat germ (for fiber) and sometimes super green food powder which makes it a little over 300 calories.
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to add calories, peanut butter added to oatmeal is good and adds some protein.
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Can you take along a boiled egg? Or what about a banana or apple with peanut butter and granola. Or lox and cream cheese. Here's a recipe I am using a lot these days for breakfast.
    Creamy Caramel Pear with Granola

1 small pear (approx 1/3 pound)
    1 Tbsp Caramel syrup - sugar free and fat free
    1/4 cup light Ricotta cheese
    1/4 cup granola

Peal and cut pear into bite-sized chunks. Place in 8 oz bowl and spray with butter flavored Pam. Cover and microwave 2 minutes. Allow to stand in micro 2-5 more minutes. Top with caramel, ricotta, and granola. Cover and microwave 1 more minute. Stir and enjoy. With the products I use it's about 300 calories, 6 gms fat, 15 cholesterol, 101 sodium, 36 carbs with 5 fiber, and 7 protein.
  • noiva
    Options
    Fruit is always a good option to add in....yummy, easy and good for you!

I'm definitely working to add more fruit into my diet!
  • luvtrails
    luvtrails Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    *peanut butter on toast or apples, pears or bananas
    *string cheese and fruit
    *hard boiled egg and toast
    *smoothie (prepared)
    *V-8 juice and cheese
    *amish baked oatmeal (made lower calorie by cutting sugar and butter to a minimum) see recipes on line. I cook a batch on *Sunday night and micro it. (Like a big warm, not too sweet oatmeal cookie)
    *"Morning Rounds" found at Whole Foods (toaster deliciousness!)

hope these help!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!
  • fnm101
    fnm101 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Oh---and going "outside of the box" with breakfast also helps me to fill up...

There's no rule against eating salad, steamed veggies, or raw veggies for breakfast! All of these options fill you up with plenty of fiber, water, and vitamins without the calorie density that other filling foods have.
  • noiva
    Options
    Hungry Girl has some things that you can cook in microwave, Like egg cups.
    I like oatmeal, with nuts and dried fruit.
    Pre cooked turkey sausage, Vita Tops...
    Lots of fiber and protein will help keep you full :)

Wow, all great suggestions. Thanks!
  • noiva
    Options
    I mix up flax pancake batter and keep it in the fridge. A 1/4 cup spooned onto a plate takes 1 1/2 min to cook in the microwave then top with greek yogurt and berries. It keeps me full all morning.

That would for sure be a good way to add in something new. Thanks!