Work Out Buddy or Solo?

Options
2»

Replies

• cathleen4h
    cathleen4h Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When i go to Zumba I like to go with a friend. She and I dont really talk during class but we are there to motivate each other! But when I was going to the gym I tried to go with the same friend but I really liked that time for zoning out and listening to music. I am kinda split on this one!
  • ChevyChick88
    ChevyChick88 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I will be working out with my fiance. We will do strength training together...then when its time for cardio, we put our earphones in and do our own thing.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Cardio - alone and stay the heck away from me

Weights - I'd prefer alone, but at my gym the guys are annoying with the weights so I prefer to have my guy best friend with me.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I was going by myself but my boyfriend decided he wanted to join, so we go together when he has a day off. Otherwise I go by myself.
  • chrissyv1024
    chrissyv1024 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    solo.. the voices in my head motivate me.
  • SunshineCarrie
    Options
    I used to go to the gym with my friend but then I realized than I can do better if I work out by myself. Plus, she kind of stopped going and tried to persuade me to go have coffee with her instead :D That wasn't very motivating :D

I sometimes miss being challenged by her but I do realize that I can concentrate better if I am alone. I might call somebody and ask to come with me to a fitness class, though - I really need somebody to motivate me there!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I like to workout with my 16 year old daughter. Well...like may be a strong word, but if I have to workout, so does she! :)
  • BarbiNay
    BarbiNay Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I usually go to the gym for Zumba so there is a group there but I prefer to at least meet someone there to keep me accountable and push me to go but lately that has not been possible so usually it is solo with a group.
  • sarshooter
    Options
    I work out with my friend/trainer because she helps make me accountable to be there. I like my time to "zone out" too, but until I get the workouts turned into a habit then I won't keep myself motivated alone. I love having a workout buddy to motivate me and push me when I want to cheat too...and yes, I am a cheater...LOL!
  • adamsidea
    adamsidea Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It depends on my mood. I usually go with my wife and we strength train/lift together. When it comes to cardio though we do our own thing at our own pace. I have to admit though it motivates me to make sure I do cardio longer than she does. A buddy can be extremely motivational.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Alone......I do best when I'm not self conscious about someone else being there...
  • nukehiker
    nukehiker Posts: 457
    Options
    all the way solo here ! I workout at home doing insanity right now.
  • MissJackie88
    Options
    If its for a class I like to go with a friend, otherwise I enjoy going alone. I've always been that way though. I like to do what I need to do at my own pace and be done with it!
  • allierae14
    Options
    I prefer to go alone at this point, one friend that I go with is not at the same pace as me, and always wants to leave after 20 minutes, though I would not mind a buddy if we were into the same workouts.
  • melantie
    Options
    I prefer to do it alone. People annoy me when they talk lol!

Im happy to have friends do stuff with me, but when im nearly dying because i cant breathe from exercise, the last thing i wanna do is have a conversation with anyone haha!

I dont go to the gym anymore because of two reasons - not enough equipment available at one time and people who keep talking when im trying to be focused.

I walk my dog now and do stuff at home, listening to music instead, at least i can turn that off or change it!
  • michelleherinckx
    Options
    I usually go alone. I only have one friend that I will go to the gym with and it is because he and I do actually motivate each other to do our best. I did have another workout buddy for a while but when my fitness level started to surpass hers she got upset if I wanted to run farther, lift heavier, etc. because she couldn't stay at my pace. I think as long as you and your workout buddy are on the same level as far as chatting during exercise and it doesn't bother either person if the other surpasses them in something, workout buddies are great :) but everyone's different
  • galvodka
    galvodka Posts: 102
    Options
    Solo. I'm there to work...not socialize.
  • Jacquelyn913
    Jacquelyn913 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I go with a friend, but we do not socialize, we do our own thing and meet up after wards. That way we still have some one there to support us but we stay focused. It's very easy to be sidetracked by a friend.
  • jms1985
    jms1985 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Right now, I work out alone (other than group classes), but I'm considering seeing if I can find a friend to go to the gym with as I need someone to motivate me.
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I always work out by myself. Having two small children at home, I need the chance to go into my own little world. If I see people I know, I give them a quick wave and that is it. I am in there to focus on working out, not to chat. I watch the TV or listen to my Ipod and I don't have to worry about whether someone else likes it.