Suggested Calorie Intake

Options
Does following the suggested calorie guidelines of MFP work? If I was to do nothing but eat under the recommended calories to lose two pounds per week, would that happen?

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Eat AT your calorie goal here, and the system is set up so if you exercise you eat at least some of the calories from the exercise so you keep your deficit. The calorie goal you're given is so you can/will lose weight before lifting a finger in exercise.
  • Adina81
    Adina81 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Typically yes. Its setup to allow for you to do just that.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You would lose weight, but you would likely be super flabby and fluffy because of the muscle you would lose as well. At some point you would plateau and have to shake things up. This is my opinion, but DON'T set yourself up for that 1200 cals a day BS.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating at the recommendation, making sure you weigh/measure your food, and drinking at least eight glasses of water per day. You'll do better if you make sure your diet is balanced -- enough protein, vegetables, fruit, and some fat (to keep skin, nails, and hair healthy) and best if you can also increase your activity level.

Generally speaking, if you eat in line with the recommendations, you should lose weight.
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I changed my calorie goal. I felt it was too high originally and I get plenty of food with what I have it set on now. However, please note I did not go crazy and change to 1200 or less. I still get 1500 a day.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Does following the suggested calorie guidelines of MFP work? If I was to do nothing but eat under the recommended calories to lose two pounds per week, would that happen?
    No, you eat as close to the recommended calories as you can. No need to try to go under my more than 50 or so.

And you should be doing some exercises - both cardio and resistance.
    Health and fitness need to be a top priority or you won't last past March.

You can do this; good luck!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Yup when I started and was set up to lose 2lbs a week I ate right at my calories (within 10 over/under) and I lost 2lbs a week or MORE sometimes early on. If you have a lot to lose you might find that you'll lose more than the 2lbs a week sometimes eating those calories. It slows down later.

Edit: I focused on getting my eating under control first and didn't add in any regular exercise til about 5-6 weeks in, otherwise I find it too overwhelming. I did add in exercise after that but I needed to learn just one new thing at a time.

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    yes! even if you ate nothing but twinkies, within the calorie limits, you'd still lose weight without working out at all. working out will speed up your metabolism & help get rid of fat too, so it's suggested as well as reducing calories. ;o)
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    While you may lose weight you will plateau qiuckly. You need to add in cardio and strength even if only 30 minutes.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I started with just short walks. Try as hard as you can to get some- ANY- movement in.

Good Luck!
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The experience of most people is that the system does work. It requires honesty and discipline. Keep an honest food diary so that the data you input is correct. Portion control, getting a proper balance between cals, carbs and protein are all essential. Make sure you get the support of others on the website. we are all on the same journey. Remember " a cord of three strands is not easily broken"
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    A food scale will be your best friend! lol. You will definetely lose the weight by just following the eating guidelines that MFP gives you. Make sure you weigh and measure your food and log it. If you have a smart phone, MFP has a free app too where you can scan the barcode labels and the info will pop up, just make sure you double check it because sometimes info will come up n/a. Exercise no matter how short or small it seems will help you :) If you get cans of soup and use those as weights and just lift them up and down from the couch while watching tv, that is doing something :) I agree that you should start a few weeks with JUST eating within MFP's requirements for you, and if you are doing great with that, add in some exercise. Whatever you can handle. Walks, weights, Stretching, etc.... Everyone is different and you will know when you are ready to start some good cardio. The more weight you lose and the better you eat, the more energy you will have. My advice is to try to limit your sugar intake as much as possible starting out. Try to cut out or limit your soda and juice intake. If you want orange juice, squeeze some fresh oranges, dont buy the premade juice, it has too much sugar or high fructose corn syrup. Baby steps will get you through and in the long run, you will develope healthier habits. I have been using MFP since October, so about 3 months now, and in the beginning I was crying because I couldn't have soda and one orange juice was my maximum daily sugars, but now, I only drink water, or home made fruit blended with ice and sometimes almond milk in my blender. I haven't craved or wanted any type of soda regular, or diet...You just get used to something and it becomes easier and more natural to you.

Good Luck with your journey :)

You Can Do It!!!!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I set my loss at 2 lbs since I've got a long way to go. I eat as close to the max as possible usually I'll be under only if I workout. Otherwise I tend to get within 50 calories of the goal/target calorie amount.

Just stick with it some days you may go over some you may be under it still works out for me even if I don't make under goal everyday. But consistently tracking it helps me and I fall off a lot in the past months since my computer broke and I'm using the TV's computer.
  • lovetheweighitfeels
    Options
    Bump.