can't get it started!!!

Options
I have been trying to get started here for the last two weeks. every morning i am pumped and ready for a healthy day. but the second i get home from work i'm finished and i have a hard time caring. i riun the day and eat whatever i want. is there any tips or advise that could help me get over this? thanks guys:smile:

Replies

• fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing. It is easy to stay on track at work, but being home is a different problem.
    It helps me to plan out what I am going to eat before I get home. I know what I will be eating and how much and when I will be eating it. This helps me to stay on track...if I start thinking about eating something in between meals, then I try to find something to do to keep my mind off of food.
    I will go outside, play with my kids, clean house, do dishes...
  • anthrochix
    anthrochix Posts: 264
    Options
    I pre-count my dinner in my food journal before I even fix it. Without counting, I would definitely blow a "good" day. Also, I go to the gym on my way home from work. That way I get my exercise in before the home-life distractions can get to me. Good luck - it is not impossible and you can do this!
  • bbright53
    bbright53 Posts: 81
    Options
    I understand. I've been struggling with this for months now. My problem is I don't even get home (I might have a chance if I did.) My car keeps stopping at the mini mart for JoJo's and cookies.

I've been trying to stop this behavior, but it seems like someone else takes control of the car and I can't help myself.

Anyone have any advice?

Barb
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    The PP is right, log everything you are going to eat. That's #1. #2 is to make sure that you are eating something healthy every 2-3 hours, and PLAN for that drive home - have something already with you to eat and drink. Water, flavored water, and a good snack. Almonds are great and keep you fuller longer. I literally have a few snacks in my bag wherever I go, and when I get hungry, I reach in and grab a protein bar or a 100 cal pack of almonds... keeps me from hitting the drive thru or the mini mart.

This is not about willpower or facing temptation - its about changing your lifestyle.

If you have a low calorie count in a day, but feel hungry all the time, eat raw carrots or peppers and don't count them. It's good food for you and for a time, they can be "free". That way you can always be chewing, crunching and not worrying about calories.

Make sure you eat a protein, carb and fat every snack, it will give you energy and keep you fuller longer. You can go over the protein on MFP, it's set low, dont' worry so much about that.

I go to a sports nutritionist and their percentages are 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat. Try changing those in MFP for your dietary goals and see if that helps.

YOU CAN DO THIS. Just tell your car that you've already got a snack, but "thank you very much for thinking of me." :happy:
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    Planning, planning, planning!

Plan your day before you even leave the house so you know what you are eating and when you are eating it. Include snacks and if you must, a daily treat. If I feel deprived or like I can't have something, I'm going to rebel and cheat. A lot of times I plan for a bowl of ice cream and never end up eating it because I'm too busy and forget. At first, I NEVER forgot. But now that I know it's not off limits, I know it will be there whenever I want it. Find what motivates you mentally with that kind of stuff and plan ahead. It may help to create a list of quick-fix healthy dinners for when you forget to take something out for the night or plan ahead. This way you're not relying on your oh-so-hungry brain to come up with something healthy. I crash and burn when I do that! Good luck!