To splurge, or not to splurge....that is the question.

I'm going to my mom's house on Saturday morning, a baby shower in the afternoon, and my brother's birthday dinner at night. I'm thinking....do I be strict, count calories & be guilt (and consequence) free? Or do I let one day slide, have fun...but risk gaining a little or feeling guilty. What would you or do you do, splurge, or stick with counting calories?

Replies

• jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    id stick with counting if you have a lot of weight to loose. if you were close to your goal, then maybe slide.
  • jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    eat very little of what you'd normally eat at those functions and stick within your calorie goal... maybe do a good 500 cal burn work out in the morning so you can splurge a little.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    You can still count but allow yourself to indulge sensibly. It is about self control so if you want something, then have it but just have a small portion.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    depends on how much you splurge..its highly unlikely you'll gain any significant weight, if any from ONE day of splurging. what i'd do is eat a little bit, try to be mindful of what you are eating, but dont sweat it if you think you are going to go over.
    this is why i dont deprive myself through the week. so when things like this come up, its easier to say no, because it doesnt feel like i'm depriving myself.

if you are going to feel that guilty, perhaps its not a good thing to splurge. as guilt can lead to more spluging because we feel bad and sometimes food makes us feel better.

but thats just me
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Stick with it.

Life is a series of tests, this is one of them.

I could find an excuse every day to cheat on my diet or workout regime.

But I don't.

And look where I am now.
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    I say count but don't deprive yourself. If you can manage it, indulge in something you wouldn't normally but do it in moderation. You will be more satisfied with that at the end of the day than having a free for all eating day. :smile: Good luck!
  • bowmab21
    bowmab21 Posts: 150 Member
    Splurge, but only one meal once a week. Without it you will go crazy.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    You'll feel better if you don't splurge, so I say go with feeling good. :)
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    SPLURGE!!! You aren't going to live your life for the next 100 years not having a splurge day - just enjoy yourself and get back on track the next day!!
  • My suggestion is not to bother counting calories cuz it's hard when you don't REALLY know exactly what's in everything anyway. Allow yourself to eat a small-medium sized portion of everything you want. You deserve a stress-free day and a few small indulgences is not going to make or break you. I have a cheat day once a week and I've lost 40 pounds in less than a year, so go ahead, live a little! Just remember to drink lots of water to help fill you up and flush out any extra sodium. Have Fun!

Oh, and try to remember to give and take a little... like have a steak for supper but with veggies instead of fries & gravy, or a decadent appetizer with a salad, cake but no ice cream, etc. Pick your faves and enjoy them, but don't splurge on everything all day long. It's all about balance.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Don't splurge. You'll feel much better about yourself if you get through the day without going over. I didn't even go over my calories on Christmas and it felt like a major victory.
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    This might sound crazy but eat before you go.

Try eating a healthy meal before you go and chasing it with water. When you arrive get a SMALL plate with finger foods on it and it will be harder for you to splurge on the naughty food. Seems like when ever I get in the mind set with preparing to over eat it turns out to be an abomination.
  • aquapussy
    aquapussy Posts: 112
    Depends on you. Is a cheat day gonna spiral you out of control? I had a cheat day every week for most of my loss, and it did not affect me at all. I would eat a LOT of calories. It is good to give your body a break from starving itself and is actually recommended.