how do you curb your sweet tooth?

Options

Replies

• EIEIannone
    EIEIannone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I really try and keep things real....this is a forever lifestyle for me, so I allow what fits into my caloric intake. There's really nothing you can't have, only the amount should really be the focus...

Exactly! This is all about lifestyle changes. You don't want to deprive yourself of some of your cravings. It's just a matter of controlling them. What you did was perfect. If you constantly say no to yourself for the cravings, you will go insane and you most likely will not stick to your new habits.
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to find healthier choices in sweets that I like.

Here are some -

- Coffee with 1/2 cup skim milk, cocoa powder and splanda
    - Fat free pudding
    - Sugar free jello
    - Hot chocolate make with skim milk, cocoa powder and splenda
    - Fruit
    - Pineapple broiled, then sprinkled with a little cococnut and broiled until toasted
    - Frozen yougurt (use fat free, and my own machine)
    - A small slice angel food cake
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to find healthier choices in sweets that I like.

Here are some -

- Coffee with 1/2 cup skim milk, cocoa powder and splanda
    - Fat free pudding
    - Sugar free jello
    - Hot chocolate make with skim milk, cocoa powder and splenda
    - Fruit
    - Pineapple broiled, then sprinkled with a little cococnut and broiled until toasted
    - Frozen yougurt (use fat free, and my own machine)
    - A small slice angel food cake
  • Jd1360
    Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    This is my ABSOLUTE solution. I don't even call it cheating it works THAT well for me.
    I am a dark chocolate fiend. I get the the Hershey's Special Dark chips and stick them in the freezer. When I get a craving, I munch a serving size (about 70 cals).
    Works every time for me!
  • mbar12
    mbar12 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Over the past month I have had several events to attend with food and tons of sweets. I went for the fresh fruit (was so thankful that they served some), had small portions of potatoes, etc., larger portions of lean protein like turkey, and allowed myself tiny portions of my favorite desserts. This worked until I came home and there were still Christmas cookies around, lol. One night I think I had 4 or 5, along with exceeding my calories in general. The next couple days I added some extra exercise, made sure I went to the gym and actually lost a pound. This gave me the incentive to get back with the program. I normally use things like yoplait light yogurt, apples and other fruits, and occasionally a square of chocolate to satisfy my sweet tooth. Hope this helps.
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Homemade hot cocoa. 1/2 skim milk, 1 1/2 teaspoons cocoa power,1 splenda packet ,top up cup with water. Microwave for 3 minutes stirring in between. Comes to 58 cals,throw a few marshmallows on top for a 100 calorie treat. Takes long enough to make and drink you will forget about your other cravings.
  • learningtolove
    Options
    I also love a square of 70 % dark chocolate dipped into peanut butter. MMM
  • learningtolove
    Options
    double post
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    i just snack on fruit- sia bevis
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    One ouce of pure maple syrup which contains fewer calories and a higher concentration of minerals than honey! 74 calories, and some good stuff in there too like maganese and zinc both good for your heart and immune system. Not so bad after all!
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Options
    Tea!

There are a few varieties that taste sweet to me, even unsweetened. A couple of the holiday teas from Celestial Seasonings are quite good, like "Sugar Plum Spice" and "Nutcracker Sweet".

I agree with the previous posters who say there's nothing wrong with having a small chocolate or a little piece of dessert, but I have trouble stopping with just a little bit, so I don't use that strategy often.
  • Kimmers1969
    Kimmers1969 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What I have found (after decades of struggle) is that if I follow a primal/paleo lifestyle, I don't have cravings or a sweet tooth. As a cancer survivor, I do not consume artificial sweeteners. Also, I have read that there is no evidence that people who consume artifical sweeteners are less heavy than their real sugar-eating counterparts. Finally, I do not believe in the calories in/ calories out theory. I believe that weight is mostly regulated by hormones. That's why fat people can stay fat or gain weight even when eating a moderate amount of calories - their hormones are out of wack. In any case, it seems that if I eat even moderate amounts of sugar, grains, or starches, I crave them beyond what I can stand and I end up bingeing.

If you can stop after just a small treat, good for you! I would be perfectly fine with that. It's just not true for me.

Good luck!
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    This is radical, but slicing out processed sugars for 2-3 weeks and getting over my cravings is what allows me to keep my portions VERY small when I do indulge. In dark chocolate (a square or two of Ghirardelli), in Skinny Cow ice cream, apples with cinnamon, that sort of thing.

I also love mint tea, and I find that it satisfies my craving for something dessert-ish with zero calories.
  • ShaSha620
    ShaSha620 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    thanks everybody, i'm gonna try a few of your ideas like the hot chocolate and the ice cream ideas for sure, or might get me some 100 calorie packs of sweet snacks but thanks for the tips now i have something to work with!
  • LoriCooper1961
    Options
    Skinny cow has really good candy bars they just came out with 110 cals I found at Walmart Super center
    Lori
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Simile WIN xD
    Sometimes you have to do like the Emporer from Star Wars and give into the dark side. Otherwise, you'll go crazy. Like most things in life, moderation is key!
  • peggy2165
    peggy2165 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    would love the recipe for those pumpkin cupcakes!!!!!
  • amh1974
    amh1974 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a sweet tooth. I have a salt tooth! :tongue:
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Fat free cool whip mixed with sugar free jello pudding or jello!!! Yummy and low in cal.

Jello is sweet and low in cals.

Eat something and plan it in your calorie count.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin cupcakes. One box of cake mix, sugar free kind is lower in cals than regular if you can find it. One can of pumpkin. Half a cup of water. Batter will be thick. If you can handle the calorie throw in some coconut or chocolate chips. Bake in muffin tins or cupcake papers as directed on cake mix packet. Chocolate is a good flavor. Spice is good with the pumpkin. Vanilla is good but you might want to throw in some pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon. The pumpkin takes the place of oil and eggs so any flavor will work. These are really most and don't rise a lot, so don't always come out very pretty but moist and taste great.