Will Your Body Settle Into a Certain Weight??

Options
Next week I celebrate 1 year on MFP and you would think I would know the answer to this but I am stumped. I lost 100 pounds in my first 9 1/2 months and at the one year mark I am down 109 pounds. I have been at my current weight for a long, long while now and it seems that no matter what I do, I am stuck right here. I am just 6 pounds shy of being in my healthy weight range for my height of 5' 8" I workout hard, I eat right, never cheat, etc. and I am stuck. Does anyone know if the body will settle into what it wants to be? It's like my body is saying "we're done, good job, but we're done."

fatfatfat.jpg
009.jpg
010.jpg

Replies

• naecarter
    naecarter Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer to this, but I wanted to say you look AMAZING! Way to go!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    First off, amazing job!

You can weigh whatever you want to weigh. You have lost a ton of weight in a short amount of time. If spiking is not working for you, you may need to switch to maintenance for a few weeks then resume with the plan I gave you.
  • myskinnyyear
    myskinnyyear Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You look GREAT! I don't know the answer to that, since I can't ever remember being a "Healthy" weight! That is definitely an inspiration!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think my body has settled into its current weight, but that doesn't mean I can't go lower it just means I need to change things up and try something different. My current weight is very close to my goal weight and it's also the weight I was for many years before I got divorced and put on 30 lbs, so I do think it's my body's comfortable weight. But, I don't really plan to stay here even if it my body is settled in. I still want to lose another 5-10 lbs, so this week I'm starting to experiment with some different things.

You do look amazing-- congratulations!
  • LuckyMah
    Options
    WOW, you are an inspiration to all! An amazing job. Your weight might be 6 pounds off to you but you have more muscle now!
    Don't fret over it.. you look great!:happy: 14473934.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • km47
    km47 Posts: 34
    Options
    I don't know either----but I have 90 pounds to go and want to know what you have done so far? I have been working out three to four times a week for an hour doing strength/weight training and cardio buring at least 350 cals/session. I have followed a 1300-1500 cal diet trying to target 100 gms protein/day. I am usually under if anything and have lost notta! I feel better and people comment that I look better, but I am wearing the same size 18 pants, they are looser but still can count as fitting and the 16's are tight so I am sorry I don't have an answer for you---but maybe you have one for me! Congratulations.
  • Gennawest
    Gennawest Posts: 171
    Options
    love the BIG pictures. wait, is saying "BIG" on here a sin? lol, love ya friend! I dont know what to say, other than you are a beautiful, amazing person. Both inside and out. You are my friend. And I am your biggest fan.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    First off, amazing job!

You can weigh whatever you want to weigh. You have lost a ton of weight in a short amount of time. If spiking is not working for you, you may need to switch to maintenance for a few weeks then resume with the plan I gave you.

I agree with this! You can do anything you put your mind to. Congratulations on an amazing weight loss. You are doing fabulous!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    First off, amazing job!

Thanks for your constant wealth of information my friend. I was just thinking the other day of moving into maintenance for a few weeks and then coming back hard again and see if that gets things moving. Along with the strength training I've also added running to my routine. This scale will move come hell or high water!
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    You do look AMAZING!!!
  • keeponkickin
    Options
    I don't know either----but I have 90 pounds to go and want to know what you have done so far? I have been working out three to four times a week for an hour doing strength/weight training and cardio buring at least 350 cals/session. I have followed a 1300-1500 cal diet trying to target 100 gms protein/day. I am usually under if anything and have lost notta! I feel better and people comment that I look better, but I am wearing the same size 18 pants, they are looser but still can count as fitting and the 16's are tight so I am sorry I don't have an answer for you---but maybe you have one for me! Congratulations.

I don't have any magic secret. I workout pretty hard most days of the week. I eat spot on 99.9% of the time. I am always mixing up my calories by zigzagging, changing my calorie goal from time to time, a spike day here and there. I do it all to keep the metabolism guessing and moving. Keep doing what you're doing. You are right, your body is changing even if the scale isn't budging. Look at my profile picture. That is a two month difference and only 7 pound difference and you can see the picture on the right that my body has shifted.
  • frumpytofit
    Options
    Congratulations, you look great!

Being so close to ideal weight, maybe you need to move out of weight loss mode and into muscle building mode. Up the calories and hit the weights extra hard.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    First off, amazing job!

Thanks for your constant wealth of information my friend. I was just thinking the other day of moving into maintenance for a few weeks and then coming back hard again and see if that gets things moving. Along with the strength training I've also added running to my routine. This scale will move come hell or high water!

I think this is the best advice. I went into maintenance mode, not meaning to, over the holidays. I still have 9-12 lbs I want to lose. In no way have I settled for the weight I am at. If anything, I feel more confident going into losing the remainder, because I know I will be able to maintain it when I finally reach goal.

I also think you should maintain your workouts to the level that feels good to you. The fitness should be fun and something you are doing out of enjoyment.
    Great job! You are truly one of my most inspiring friends on here!!!
    M
  • Sho_Rowell
    Sho_Rowell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    You have done such a brilliant job! I have just started again as you can see on my ticker. The one thing I would suggest is to look into Jillian Michaels workouts. I have done loads of research on them and have read many times that it helped people to break through a plateau. I have just started Ripped in 30 again and I really love all of her workouts. Just as an idea :smile:
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You look great! What are you basing your "healthy weight" on? If it's BMI toss it lol. Go to your doctor an ask them if you still need to loose more weight.
  • Campnhike
    Options
    Hi,I'm back! Wow awesome pictures! You look terrific!!!!
  • keeponkickin
    Options
    Great job! You are truly one of my most inspiring friends on here!!!
    M

Thank you. I think I will try the maintenance after I finish up this week.
  • km47
    km47 Posts: 34
    Options
    thanks, I will keep working at it----it has been a long time for such a small loss (14 weeks of really focused effort) but will try to keep my head in the game. I have committed to 100% compliance for the next three weeks each 1300-1500 cals, 100 gms protein, 10 glasses of water and eating every three hours. I work out consistently 3-4 hours a week. wish me luck---you look great and I hope that is me in a year!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    First great job.

Second, yes, weight can stall; I call them "walls".
    To break through, you must change intensity and duration of exercises - both cardio and resistance.
    And you must make sure you're eating enough to sustain your high activity level.

And yes, eat back your exercise calories.

Simply stated MFP has already figured out your total calories you need to eat per day to lose 1lb etc. a week. That's WITHOUT exercise. You'll notice that when you actually add exercise in, the calorie limit goes up. Why? Because it's telling you to eat your exercise calories. Large deficits aren't really good to do because while you will lose weight, what kind of weight will it be? In many cases you'll lose lean muscle tissue which LOWERS your metabolic rate even more. Then you have to eat even less to compensate for less of a calorie burn to continue to lose the same amount of weight each week.
    Be efficient. Exercise hard and eat back the calories. The hard exercise will RAISE your metabolic rate and burn more fat at rest.