frustrated with home/goal page.

Options
I am told we should not go under 1200 calories a day. I put the maximum exercise i could aim for a day (75 min) and even at 6 days a week, its only showing me to have a goal of losing 0.7 lb a week. Gosh, i want to loose 1.5 to 2 a week !! I toyed a minute with the customized version and i think i had to drop it to 700 cal a day to get close. Is that really ??? what i need to do? any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I might be mistaken, but entering your exercise "goals" has no impact on your weight loss goals. Set a realistic weight loss goal to the recommended 1 lb. per week. You should get a calorie alottment of around 1300-1400 (or so) cals per day. This is a built-in calorie deficit for you to lose 1 lb. per week BEFORE exercise. So, if you exercise daily and burn 500 cals per day, that would theoreticaly be another lb of weight lost per week. Some people eat their exercise cals, some don't. The bottom line is, eat smart and exercise. This site really works.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it. My goals said I was losing 1.4 pounds, and I lost two pounds a week for months.

Don't go by those estimates. They're estimates. Just eat well, exercise well, and what happens happens, because everyone is different, and there's no way a website can perfectly tell you how your body will react.
  • UltraThinJen
    Options
    I had the same problem. The site said even if I exercised 7 days a week for 30 min. I would still lose 1 lb. a week and I wanted to lose 2 so I had to do the custom goals and chose 1000 calories a day. I don't understand why exercising more wouldn't increase your chance of weight loss. Oh well, I've lost 20 lbs. in 4 weeks with 1000 calories a day. I know some people say thats too low of a calorie intake but its working well for me.
  • judymari
    judymari Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input -- i find it very helpful. Somehow the obvious doesn't seem so obvious at times. I wasn't even thinking if i didn't eat all my weight loss calories, how much impact that might provide. By your sig's, you guys are doing GREAT!! that's so inspiring. Hope i can become consistent...again, thanks for all comments:love:
  • tbrown1025
    tbrown1025 Posts: 165
    Options
    Just wanted to second that the numbers here are only estimates. And I wanted to caution against eating too little -- yes, it will work in the beginning, but will cause you to plateu or even gain. I can speak from experince, as I have been on a plateu for a year, and have even gained 5lbs although I haven't eaten more than 1200 calories (most days less) and worked out 6 days a week. I've readjusted my calories to actually eat more so I hope to see an improvement on the scales at my next weigh-in. Just a thought.
  • judymari
    Options
    thanx! I've heard similar before, so there must be something to it.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to second that the numbers here are only estimates. And I wanted to caution against eating too little -- yes, it will work in the beginning, but will cause you to plateu or even gain. I can speak from experince, as I have been on a plateu for a year, and have even gained 5lbs although I haven't eaten more than 1200 calories (most days less) and worked out 6 days a week. I've readjusted my calories to actually eat more so I hope to see an improvement on the scales at my next weigh-in. Just a thought.

:drinker: here here!!

I plateaued for months due to under eating. You body needs food to lose weight too!

Weird I know, but true

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • judymari
    Options
    from what i understand, when we don't have enough calories, our bodies kinda hoard them, as if in fear we won't feed it!! but i can promise me that won't happen!! :laugh:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. The site said even if I exercised 7 days a week for 30 min. I would still lose 1 lb. a week and I wanted to lose 2 so I had to do the custom goals and chose 1000 calories a day. I don't understand why exercising more wouldn't increase your chance of weight loss. Oh well, I've lost 20 lbs. in 4 weeks with 1000 calories a day. I know some people say thats too low of a calorie intake but its working well for me.

eating only 1000 calories is drastically too low. Anorexics lose weight too, but they also damage their liver and heart. This is not a healthy way to lose weight, or to maintain the loss.

unless you are four feet tall, 1000 calories is FAR TOO LOW.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

Please read the vast amount of well researched information available in the links above.