ZERO calorie food? Not fat free... calorie free?

Options

Replies

• Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I would say for the purpose of losing weight I see no reason why not to use this stuff however let me warn that most things that say 0 calories do indeed have some calories. If I can remember correctly I think if its under 5 calories a serving they can say 0 calorie food (product).
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I've heard that stuff is disgusting. It's not calorie-free either. There are trace calories in the food... I think like ~30 calories per jar or something. It's not much, but it's still not zero lol.
  • Mardill
    Mardill Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    How could marshmallow cream or peanut butter have Zero calories? I'd be afraid to even sample them!
  • Gauntlettes
    Options
    I tried the pancake syrup tonight. Not bad, I would recommend it. The Walden farms Peanut butter is disgusting. Don't waste your money.
    As for whether they're "real" foods or not, I don't consider their respective full-calorie versions much more real...Calorie free marshmallow cream vs. Full calorie marshmallow cream? Whichever type of the treats you enjoy, I'd say moderation is the important part.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Yeah, one portion is zero calories, but two portions is 10 calories. Unless it's like sugar free syrup or something. That said, Walden Farms "zero calorie" ranch dressing is so good I prefer it to the real thing sometimes, and it has mostly ingredients I recognized. Their other things are pretty nasty.
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If it's lower in calories than it normally is, it's not real food, and your body is not going to benefit from it. Trust me. I don't buy a whole lot of things that are low fat, sugar free, etc. because of this. If it's naturally not that way when it grows (IF it grows), it's not worth it.
    This!
  • Beckym1205
    Beckym1205 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Has anyone actually looked at the ingredient list for these items? The ones I looked at are mostly water (first ingredient) vinegars and spices. The ingredient list for the products is on their website with the nutrition facts. I was a little wary of using these products until I actually looked at the ingredients and found they don't seem bad. I looked at the ingredients in Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing and it has more crap ingredients that I don't understand than the Walden Farms Buttermilk Ranch dressing.
  • Arwen1922
    Arwen1922 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Fake foods makes your liver work harder so not it is not processing fat. You can't loose weight if your liver does not work on fat.
  • judgejava
    Options
    I would stay away from rubbish fake food like that.

True Zero calorie food is more accurately negative calorie foods, which take more energy to digest than the calorie content they contain.

Example would be a tomato, it contains around 25 calories for an average tomato, but take about 50+ to digest it, leaving a negative of 25 +-

Stick with real zero calorie foods and not that *healthy* zero calorie rubbish.

Cheers
  • dwardkaiser
    Options
    IT WAS D-I-S-G-U-S-T-I-N-G!!!!!! :noway:
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Tried the ranch...gross...much prefer Wishbone Spray Ranch

Tried the balsamic...I actually threw up...much prefer Wishbone Spray Balsamic

Tried the syrup...It was okay but there's a sugar free brand called Cary's that LITERALLY tastes like it came from IHOP. Way delicious.

And pickles totally have calories.
  • Ruz456
    Ruz456 Posts: 99
    Options
    theres no real zero calorie food but there are some zero calorie dressings and stuff to add variety to your meals

mustard
    hot sauce
    buffalo sauce

those are some of the dressings I use to mix things up
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    The label said zero calories

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/GuidanceDocuments/FoodLabelingNutrition/FoodLabelingGuide/ucm064911.htm

FDA allows calorie free lable if it is "Less than 5 cal per RACC and per labeled serving".

thanx for posting this :)
  • Mama_CAEI
    Mama_CAEI Posts: 235
    Options
    I would stay away from rubbish fake food like that.

True Zero calorie food is more accurately negative calorie foods, which take more energy to digest than then calorie content they contain.

Example would be a tomato, it contains around 25 calories for an average tomato, but take about 50+ to digest it, leaving a negative of 25 +-

Stick with real zero calorie foods and not that *healthy* zero calorie rubbish.

Cheers

^ This. Eat celery. You burn up the calories chewing it! :happy:
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    The zero calorie appellation is a labeling fiction. It means that a usual serving size contributes insignificant calories to your diet. It actually does have some calories.
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    IT WAS D-I-S-G-U-S-T-I-N-G!!!!!! :noway:

exactly! I tried a few of them... tastes like straight up chemicals. I probably lost a few years on my lifespan due to that experiment. :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Unless the only igredient was ice, there are calories. Likely they've just set the serving size so small that it legally qualifies as 0 calories, which is not the same as actually having no calories.
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I tried Walden farms Alfredo sauce. It was totally disgusting!
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    These are the only foods of this kind that exist. :)

http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Zero_Calorie_Foods
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    Sounds nasty! I have tried the low calorie stuff and it is nothing near the real stuff. I would recommend anyone reading this to buy something that tastes good and work on portion control and exercise regularly.