Ever get frustrated with clothes sizes?

Options
TCASMEY
TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
Spring is here and that means getting out the packed away warm weather clothes. As I am going through them I realize I have shorts in there sizes 12-18. Instead of getting rid of the bigger sizes I decided to try them all on to decided what to keep and what to donate. I kept some 18 because they were snug and got rid of some 12 because they were baggy....:angry: Why can't they make size 12 clothes size 12? It sure made getting out the summer clothes take a lot longer. Tops are a whole another topic.:angry:

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a size 12 jean at American Eagle. They are now too big.
    Went back for a size 10. Can't get the damn things over my hips. Are you kidding?? My 12s are BAGGY but the 10s are too small to get on?
    Womens clothing lacks any common sense.
    Give me a man's measurements any day and you can find pants to fit, no problems.
    Grrrrr. :grumble:
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i hate the inconsistency. I have sizes ranging from 6 to 12 in my closet and it frustrates me to no end!

i agree, lets just do everything in inches. it makes life so much simpler...
  • Cinnamon_Kisses
    Options
    I was complaining about this just this morning!! I'm a UK size 12 usually, although my jeans are a 10. I tried my co workers size 14s on and I could get them past my thighs :noway:

It's so frustrating!!
  • Skinnytime
    Skinnytime Posts: 279
    Options
    Drives me crazy!!!
  • MissGorgeous
    MissGorgeous Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    agree!
    i buy anywhere from an 8/10 to 9/11
    small/medium/ large tops...go figure!
  • llmgold11
    llmgold11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The reason for this loveable madness is this....the fit models are getting smaller. Companies make clothes for the person that they want wearing it. SO if the fit model is normally an 8 and they only want size 2 people wearing the jeans they will make them so that the 8 is now a size 2. They essentially make the size 2 girl now a normal size 8. ALSO--other companies will take stacks of fabric and they press cut it. The ones at the top are more true to size and they get smaller as they go! :explode:

I've learned a little trick....and I've only had 1 pair of jeans fail this trick...look at the zipper. If you have hips and an *kitten* and the zipper is more than 4 inches long the jeans SHOULD fit. Anything under that--walk far far far away.

Trust me I have jeans in my closet that range in size from a 10-16.....how the eff did that happen?
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I feel you too! I did the very same thing last night. I am mostly in 16's now so I thought I could safely get rid of my 20's, 22's...not so much.

I had some 18's that were snug and some others that were huge. Needless to say I have a closet full of shorts and skorts ranging from 16-22.

UGH! :smokin:
  • easy2lov3
    easy2lov3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    sooo true..
  • Mrs_Ford
    Mrs_Ford Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My mom when I was growing up use to get so mad about this! And it really started to effect me as a teenager.

So, one day when I was 17yrs old I was telling my daddy about the drama of not having cute summer clothes cuz' it depresses us that the sizes are all wrong.

So, he taught me the trick of measuring my jeans by arm length. We got my fave pair of jeans & from one side of my belt loop to the other with my thumbs measured up my arm the wideth. If the loops didn't go up my bicep so far it was too small for me even if the size was bigger than I normally wore.

This trick has saved me MANY hours in the dressing room & even though some of my friends thought I was crazy at first they all now do the same thing. It's not as embarrassing as pulling it to your waist & trying to figure it out that way. By using your arm you get a better judge of sizing & if any of you are quilters you know this is the same technique you would use to measure a yard of fabric ...from your wrist to your nose is estimated 36inches. So, my dad taught me to NEVER again to look at sizes which has helped me so much with confidence in what I wear! That's one reason no one believes that I weigh as much as I do.

:laugh: I hope this helps someone if not thanks anyways reading the long advise! :laugh:
  • kelrob31
    kelrob31 Posts: 4
    Options
    I, too, have quite a range of sizes. Part of the problem is the "relaxed," "easy" and "classic" (as well as all the other creative words) fits from the different stores. Some of them allow you to cram more into them... It's so very frustrating. They should all be one size.

And skinny jeans? Forget it.