I'm not saying it doesn't work, but...

Options
I've heard multiple times that if you stop losing weight then to up your calories.

I'm not saying it doesn't work, but I was just wondering if someone could explain to me how it DOES work.

I understand that if you've been eating 1200 calories for a while you'll stop losing weight or hit a plateau, because your body gets use to getting the 1200 every single day.

But in my mind, if you eat more calorie, you're eating more food, so you'll gain. I mean, that's how I got fat in the first place, the more food I ate the more food I gained.... I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying that it doesn't make sense to me.

So I guess my question is: How does eating more help a person to lose weight?

Thank you for any replies I get =)

Replies

• vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly not sure about this either. I asked my good friend who is a trainer about this the other day, as a matter of fact. She said that it is just too simple to say it that way. Basically, from what she told me, you have to "shake up" your body to lose weight. It's about calories in, calories out (metabolism). If metabolism slows, you shake it up. She recommends changing workouts more than changing foods. SO, if you always jog, you need to add in other workouts, more weights, etc. to get your body out of a rut. She also is a big believer in increasing protein. I don't know the science behind it all, but I agree with you, it is confusing!
  • Kksd605
    Kksd605 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you are pregnant (due Sept 2012). You really shouldn't be trying to lose weight at this point. You will likely gain at least 25-30 lbs during pregnancy. BUT... you will lose most of that right away.
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you are pregnant (due Sept 2012). You really shouldn't be trying to lose weight at this point. You will likely gain at least 25-30 lbs during pregnancy. BUT... you will lose most of that right away.

This wasn't really a question regarding me, it's just a general question. Everyone talks about it, and I was curious how it actually works.
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Why... Why would you try to eat under maintenance when you're pregnant? Why chance the health of your unborn child?
  • myiceisonfire
    Options
    Why... Why would you try to eat under maintenance when you're pregnant? Why chance the health of your unborn child?

Really? This post is not about ME. It is a general question.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I don't understand that line of reasoning either unless you have actually gone into a starvation mode with <1000 cal/day.
  • tinyjourney
    tinyjourney Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Your body is very adaptable. If you have been consistently eating 1200 cals it will get used to that level, know what it is going to get, and become more efficient. By upping your calories you show your body that food is more plentiful and that there is no need to hold on to any excess. It is a very delicate balance. You can expect to gain at first until your body adapts, then you'll stabilize, before you loose any more. If you increase too much you will just gain, if you don't increase enough you risk gain. It is about encouraging your body to utilize the fuel you are giving it, see that it get's enough and there is no need to hold on to excess, and to get rid of stored fat because it does not need it in case of famine. By eating low and staying low your body holds on to the idea that food is not plentiful and it needs to store in case of famine.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    To answer the OP's question -

Many people eat too FEW calories, especially those who workout a ton and don't eat back those calories. You need a calorie deficit to lose weight, but too much of a deficit is a bad thing. Your body expects a certain calorie level for general maintenance and daily activities. If you don't get it, your body starts adapting - it causes your body to lower it's metabolism rate. A lower metabolism means that you are burning fewer calories in your day to day activities, which makes it harder to lose weight.

When people are recommending for people to eat more, they are suggesting that people eat enough so that their body snaps out of this lower metabolism mode. You can't just keep upping calories and expect to lose weight - if you eat more than you burn you will gain, but it's also not healthy (or productive for long-term weight loss) to eat too FEW. The advice to increase calories is about finding that healthy range where you are still at a deficit, but not eating too few calories.
  • Shirls2012
    Shirls2012 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think it's because if you set the calorie limit too low your body goes into "starvation mode" and hangs on to every bit of nourishment it can. Thus when you increase your calories it lets you start burning them again.
  • myiceisonfire
    Options
    Your body is very adaptable. If you have been consistently eating 1200 cals it will get used to that level, know what it is going to get, and become more efficient. By upping your calories you show your body that food is more plentiful and that there is no need to hold on to any excess. It is a very delicate balance. You can expect to gain at first until your body adapts, then you'll stabilize, before you loose any more. If you increase too much you will just gain, if you don't increase enough you risk gain. It is about encouraging your body to utilize the fuel you are giving it, see that it get's enough and there is no need to hold on to excess, and to get rid of stored fat because it does not need it in case of famine. By eating low and staying low your body holds on to the idea that food is not plentiful and it needs to store in case of famine.

Perfect answer! Thank you very much! =) I understand it a lot better now =)
  • myiceisonfire
    Options

Many people eat too FEW calories, especially those who workout a ton and don't eat back those calories. You need a calorie deficit to lose weight, but too much of a deficit is a bad thing. Your body expects a certain calorie level for general maintenance and daily activities. If you don't get it, your body starts adapting - it causes your body to lower it's metabolism rate. A lower metabolism means that you are burning fewer calories in your day to day activities, which makes it harder to lose weight.

When people are recommending for people to eat more, they are suggesting that people eat enough so that their body snaps out of this lower metabolism mode. You can't just keep upping calories and expect to lose weight - if you eat more than you burn you will gain, but it's also not healthy (or productive for long-term weight loss) to eat too FEW. The advice to increase calories is about finding that healthy range where you are still at a deficit, but not eating too few calories.

This helps too, thank you =)
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    I've never been a real believer in it myself, although saying that might generate some negative comments. Here's a site that debunks the starvation mode theory, which is what is often cited when people encourage others to eat more calories. If I had more time, I would try to find a more reliable source than the National Health Association (I have no idea who they are except that they believe in a plant based diet.)

http://www.healthscience.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=512:are-you-in-the-starvation-mode-or-starving-for-truth&catid=102:jeff-novicks-blog&Itemid=267

Personally, I hit plateaus in my weight loss and never found that eating more really helped. What DID help for me was changing up my exercise routine.
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    How could you know you are pregnant at this point? That is exactly nine month from now, so you are two weeks pregnant and know? I didn't know that was possible.
  • aleatha5
    aleatha5 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I know that your question is a general one, butI hope that you have talked to a doctor about planning to not gain weight during your pregnancy. Even obese people are told to gain between 10-15. I know it is important to be fit and eat well, but I have an aunt who wouldn't allow herself to gain at ALL during her pregnancies (she weighed in the 160s at the time) and both of her boys have severe problems (like they will never leave her house and she has had to make plans for them to live in homes if anything happens to her and my uncle). Maybe you should work with your OB/GYN to eat healthy and gain on track for your weight with pregnancy.

I've read that if you eat too few calories you kill your metabolism and then it takes for ever to rev it up again. I've been reading a lot about the idea that you should have some lean days and some bigger days (which is what people would have had before food was plentiful) because our bodies are designed to have days where we don't get as much and days where we get more. Also, white anything is an empty calorie, so if you are wasting any of your daily calories with sugar, white rice, etc. you are not eating to lose.
  • myiceisonfire
    Options
    How could you know you are pregnant at this point? That is exactly nine month from now, so you are two weeks pregnant and know? I didn't know that was possible.

How does my pregnancy keep getting brought up?

Okay my last cycle was Dec 4th, I will be 5wks prego on Jan 8th, and my due date is 40wks after my last cycle so that puts my due date at Sept 9th. I know because I peed on a stick & got blood drawn & the dr said Sept 9th.

THIS POST IS NOT ABOUT ME =) Just thought I'd cover that... again.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    As other posters have stated, if you eat at maintenance you will stay the same weight. If you eat to surplus you will add weight. If you eat below maintenance you will lose weight.

Now, you have eaten below maintenance for awhile & your body recognises food is scarce. So to compensate it lowers your metabolism, this results in you plateauing & the weightloss coming to an end.

You could change your calorific goal by adding more calories, therefore telling your body food is plentiful again "you no longer need to hoard our meagre resources". You will gain initially until your body adjusts & then you should lose again because food is more plentiful, now you should only add in small increments & see how much weight you lose/gain. I hope this helps.

To the original poster, congratulations & I hope all goes well for you :)

Russ
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options

Actually, it is. If the due date was Sept, she would have gotten pregnant in December.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options

How does my pregnancy keep getting brought up?

Okay my last cycle was Dec 4th, I will be 5wks prego on Jan 8th, and my due date is 40wks after my last cycle so that puts my due date at Sept 9th. I know because I peed on a stick & got blood drawn & the dr said Sept 9th.

THIS POST IS NOT ABOUT ME =) Just thought I'd cover that... again.

It is a bit ridiculous...congrats!! I hope you enjoy a healthy pregnancy and baby. :smile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Essentially, food is fuel. If you don't fuel the body properly, the body can't work to burn calories and in fat will preserve calories for later on. This becomes more apparent in those with little weight to lose or those who have low body fat. Your fat stores work harder to retain calories as a quick source of food; essentially, they want to stock up for the winter. When you eat more, your body not only gets the nutrition is needs, but also doesn't anticipate a short fall in energy, so it quickly will process and release the food from your system, aka your metabolism works higher. Now the issue comes in play when those who eat very little over extended periods of time lose a bunch of weight. What happens when you eat low calories, your body has to find a way to produces energy. What happens is your body will cannibalize your lean muscle mass for the amino acids, as it's a source of energy. The problem with is, your lean muscle mass will decrease, which has a direct affect on your metabolism. The lower your lean muscle mass, the slower your metabolism. This is also why you see people gain a lot of weight back from diets. Many of them are very low calorie and destroy your metabolism in pursuit of lower weight. This is why there is a difference between being fit and healthy, and being skinny. Skinny doesn't equate to healthy.

theoneandonly, When you tried to eat more calories, how long did you monitor your progress? Was it a week, a month, several months, etc.... ? The reason I ask, many people say once they ate more, they gained. What they don't say, is this happened for two weeks in a row, they freaked out and reverted back to their old ways. The problem is, your body and metabolism have a period where it needs to adapt to more calories. Generally, it can take 4 weeks for this to happen. Also, generally what happens when you increase calories, you increase carbs. Increasing carbs will increase the amount of glycogen in your system which increases water retention (up to 10 ish lbs). This is the same affect of coming off low carb diets. This is one reason why low carb isn't necessary unless you have an intolerance to carbs; such as women with PCOS.

In my opinion, this is why people should know their body fat (using calipers and not bio impedance machines). Knowing your BF % will allow a person to understand their BMR at a much more consistant level which allows you to calculate your TDEE. At that point, you can determine caloric needs based on goal.

I will add one more note, eating low calories only does one thing; it preserves body fat. You can't build muscle on huge deficits and frequently have trouble maintaining lean muscle mass on big deficits, thence the metabolism slow down.

lemon
  • aquapussy
    aquapussy Posts: 112
    Options

That just doesn't happen. If you exercise and have low glycogen stores (bonk) then you KNOW IT! You don't just go along happily having a huge calorie deficit and exercising. If you ever bonk you won't do that again!

The eat more calories thing is a total myth. WHEN YOU ARE LOSING WEIGHT YOU ARE IN STARVATION MODE ALL THE TIME!

The reason it is good to eat more calories some times is to give your body a break from starving.

Also it is nearly impossible to gain muscle on a calorie deficit. If muscle is your goal, you have to eat more.

The reason to lift weights on a calorie deficit is to maintain your muscles.