OMG!!!!

Options
I used my new heart rate monitor. According to it, the calories I burned on the treadmill are half of what is shown on the machine's display. I am guessing my HRM is correct and the machine is wrong.

THAT SUCKS!

Replies

• slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options
    I honestly wouldn't get so caught up in the numbers burned it can be overwhelming and frustrating. If you are having success with your workouts and diet then keep doing what you are doing.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    machines tend to over estimate calories burned, i don't know why. but when you start concentrating on form, instead of calories burned, thats when you're really going to get good work outs.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    yep, my DH and I both burn much less using our HMR then what our tread climber says. Though we still burn well, as our condition has improved, but not what display says. :)

Keep in mind, everyone burns different based on age, weight, size, condition, fat mass,sex. Generally a machine just gives a general estimate.Your HRM will be closer to accurate.

Just keep pushing yourself, to give your best on EVERYworkout - it all still helps.
  • Allyson1985
    Options
    I used my new heart rate monitor. According to it, the calories I burned on the treadmill are half of what is shown on the machine's display. I am guessing my HRM is correct and the machine is wrong.

THAT SUCKS!

This is a common thing to find, and I wish more people would realize it and invest in a HRM. I know its frustrating, but you'll see better results with using your HRM. :)
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Very sobering to get an HRM, but you need to know the truth....Don't worry... you will start pushing yourself a lot more now and see much better results! :flowerforyou:
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    My HRM gives me a much lower cals burned than the gym equipment.. buuuut once I started using my HRM I found my weight loss sped up cos suddenly my number counts were so much more accurate!

good luck!
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Yes. I experienced a similar awakening....
  • Radcliffe83
    Options
    I input weight and age into treadmill. Do you do this?
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Better to find out the truth now rather than later so you aren't cheating yourself. And yes, that is common. Machines overestimate to make you feel good about yourself and keep using/buying the machines. My calorie burn from my HRM is about 1/2 of a machine's as well.

Try not to freak out so much, just accept it and move on.
  • abitzan
    abitzan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    That is why i tell all my students to get hrm because they are WAY more accurate.
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    It's such an eye openinging experience lol. Damn HRM's!!! At least weren't not maybe sabotaging ourselves because we're thinking we're burning way more calories then we are.
  • Mocha02
    Mocha02 Posts: 96
    Options
    Looks like I need to invest in one of those too!
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Most cardio equipment I've seen at the gym will only allow you to enter your weight. There are other factors just as important that your HRM will allow you to enter. Sex, age, height all make a big difference in your count.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    This is the very reason I got an HRM. I wanted the truth! I don't want to hear that I'm buring a bazillion calories when I actually only burn 500. I need to know what I can eat back and what I need to curb!
  • jsteffen80
    Options
    Your settings for max and resting heart rate, and VO2 max (if your HRM support it) play a HUGE part in the amount of calories it tells you that you have burned.

And always remember that even a HRM is still just an estimate.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    When i do machines...I use those numbers and when i strength train or take a class I go by my HRM....I agree about not stressing over it.. As long as you are eating properly with your cal burn...You should be fine!
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    thanks do you know how many time I just used the F word!
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    When i do machines...I use those numbers and when i strength train or take a class I go by my HRM....I agree about not stressing over it.. As long as you are eating properly with your cal burn...You should be fine!

If you're using your HRM for strength training you're getting an estimate that is going to be high. HRM's are designed for and use calculations based on cardio exercise and will give false readings during strength training.

The science behind that would be comparable to watching a scary movie and getting your heart rate elevated. Even though your heart rate is elevated, you're not going to burn calories like you would if you were running or walking at the same heart rate.
  • OneFitMom_
    OneFitMom_ Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM!!
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm sure if I got one, it would say the same. But a HRM will not be accurate for me. I take medicine to slow my heartbeat. That said, the medicine itself makes it harder for me to lose simply because I have a harder time getting my heart rate into that fat burning zone. Regardless, I'm still losing, albeit slower than I'd like. But a loss is a loss and I'll take what I can get.