How do you cook lentils?

Options
fultzjaf
fultzjaf Posts: 141 Member
I heard that lentils are good for you and make you fuller etc, but I have NO IDEA how to make them. So, how do you cook them, and what kind of recipies do you have for them with other foods or ingredients? I'm kinda new to trying new foods so bare with me here. Thanks!

Replies

• faylenechung
    faylenechung Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    In a pot lol J/K.................... Never made them.
  • fultzjaf
    Options
    In a pot lol J/K.................... Never made them.

LOL! Well now I know, thanks Faye! I never have either so I'm totally lost!
  • faylenechung
    faylenechung Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    How about a soup? I have seen them in a soup at the store and soups are filling.
  • fultzjaf
    Options
    That's a good idea but I'm not much of a cooker, so idk what all to put in there with it, or how to seaon it. I'll try that though, I'll make my hubby do it, lol!
  • kwlkr76
    kwlkr76 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bring water or a broth & Lentils to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about an hour.

They are really good in soup! You can add them to just about any soup.
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking you cook them just like you would with rice. 1 part lentils, 2 parts liquid, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or so until liquid is absorbed. Longer with more liquid if you want super soft lentils. I like them to have a texture more like beans.

I use them to replace beans and/or rice in recipes. I add them to soups. I add it to stuffing mixtures for everything from cornish hens to bell peppers. They're excellent for nutrition and filling you up and personally they don't mess with my GI track like many beans do.
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I do beef broth with some cloves. That's the way my grandma made them so that's how I do as well.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    A bit of broth, along with some diced onions. When they're about done, toss in some cilantro and diced tomato.

Also, your mileage may vary, but they give me some wicked gas. It's AWESOME!
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
  • Adshill
    Adshill Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My mom makes a delicious lentil soup. When I asked for the recipe she told me she just uses the one on the lentil package. lol. I still have never made it, but that is sounding really good right about now. I'm not sure the calories/nutrition since she puts ham in it, but I'm sure you could leave it out. It freezes well too.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I make them in my rice cooker :)

edit: no seasonings or anything else added. just a cup or two of water and a bunch of lentils (under the water level) until the cooker goes "POP!"

I have them as a side dish or a snack. They are so tiny and cute. I love beans! (lentil is a bean, yeah? if not, i'm calling it one. :laugh: )
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    When I buy lentils the bag usually has a recipe on the back and I have tried it a few times and it worked out great. I also like to make a lentil and turkey sausage soup. Basically it is broth ( I usually use a low sodium chicken). lentils, carrots, celery, onion, diced turkey sausage. I use herbs and seasonings I like ie basil, rosemary, thyme, etc.
  • vitahill
    vitahill Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have not tried this recipe yet but it's on my list!
    Curried Lentil Soup
    http://www.nutritionmd.org/recipes/view.html?recipe_id=193
  • pretty_ribbons
    pretty_ribbons Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    its really nice boilled with some bouillon and chopped onions and eaten with rice, you can even add potatoes and depending on how much water you use you can have it as a soup or as a curry, even add it to a curry, i find the water evaporates quite alot so the thinkness can vary.
  • TWrecks1968
    TWrecks1968 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have them as a side dish or a snack. They are so tiny and cute.

LOL
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    1/3 c. lentils to 1 c. water seasoned with your choice of seasonings...Bring to boil, reduce to simmer about 20 minutes or until done to taste....Red lentils are much tastier then the regular brown ones...Good luck on your journey..!!.. :flowerforyou:
  • anima_gemella
    anima_gemella Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Spiced carrot & lentil soup

1) Heat a large saucepan and dry-fry the cumin seeds and chilli flakes for 1 min, or until they start to jump around the pan and release their aromas. Scoop out about half of the seeds with a spoon and set aside. Add the oil, carrot, lentils, stock and milk to the pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have swollen and softened.

2) Whizz the soup with a stick blender or in a food processor until smooth (or leave it chunky if you prefer). Season to taste and finish with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkling of the reserved toasted spices. Serve with warmed breads.

:)
  • FrankWorsley
    FrankWorsley Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pariskelly
    pariskelly Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just made a soup with them last night:

http://peppertree.wordpress.com/
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Red lentils are smaller and cook softer; I make extra reds and use them in place of bread crumbs in meatloaf. Green puy lentils are bigger and have a firmer texture; I like to make them with diced onion, peppers and garlic in broth. They're also good in beef barley soup and vegetable soup.