Larabar, Kindbar, Clif, Fiber Ones, which is best?

Options
MJ7910
MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
So i've been playing around a lot with different bars. The Fiber ones seem to taste the best, have lots of fiber, etc. but they lack in protein. So i tried Larabar, Kindbar, Clif. I didn't like the taste of Clif and Larabar was neutral Kindbar seemed to have the best taste. Just wondered others' opinions on these bars. Which ones do you think offer the most bang (like protein, low fat, etc) for the caloric content?

Replies

• mturek
    mturek Posts: 3
    Options
    I love the Think Thin bars. Lots of protein, low sugar, fill you up. The chocolate dipped mixed nuts and chunky peanut butter are my favorites.
  • MJ7910
    Options
    i have never heard of those. do they sell those in regular grocery stores? the other thing is maltitol is bad! any sugar alcohol really.

edit - just looked up the ingredients and they do have maltitol... can't eat those, bad GI problems. Just like the atkins bars.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I think first is to consider WHY you're eating one of the bars. The bars you mentioned are typically a high-carb, high-sugar bar. Which is FINE if you're using it as a quick energy source for activity (pre-workout, maybe during workout to sustain energy). I'll eat a Clif bar before a long run but I won't use it as a snack because it's about 46 grams of carbs, which is usually far more than I normally eat in an entire meal.

As a snack (this is my opinion only) there are better choices which offer more satiety, more protein, and less sugar like Pure Protein, Quest, or Detour. Some can also provide a convenient meal replacement.
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Check out Quest Bars. They taste good and the nutrition is great (no weird stuff in them). If I remember correctly they were around 170-200 calories per bar, 25 g carbs, and 20-ish g protein (depends on the flavor).

I'm not sure if you can get them in the grocery store but I know a year ago if you went to there website they would send you two free bars to try.

Just found it for you: http://www.questproteinbar.com/sampleoffer/
  • MJ7910
    Options
    I think first is to consider WHY you're eating one of the bars. The bars you mentioned are typically a high-carb, high-sugar bar. Which is FINE if you're using it as a quick energy source for activity (pre-workout, maybe during workout to sustain energy). I'll eat a Clif bar before a long run but I won't use it as a snack because it's about 46 grams of carbs, which is usually far more than I normally eat in an entire meal.

As a snack (this is my opinion only) there are better choices which offer more satiety, more protein, and less sugar like Pure Protein, Quest, or Detour. Some can also provide a convenient meal replacement.

those all have sugar alcohols, just checked. can't process it... bad GI effects. Pure Protein has Sorbitol (associated with GI discomfort), Quest has Erythritol (same thing, sugar alcohol, GI problems), Detour seems to have some with and some without maltitol but i'm not willing to risk it... those do have less calories and less carbs but if your body can't process sugar alcohols it will be bad GI effects. I'm glad you all can eat them. Wish I could. Learned the hard way with Atkins bars.
  • eschwanda
    eschwanda Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like kindbars and fiberone. Ive tried clif and dont get how people think they are good. Ive also tried larabars, while they have a good taste I cant get over the mushy texture.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    rawfood bar is the healthiest Iv'e had... Clif is the only one with a flavor I can tolerate.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I can't eat the Fiber One bars. They are sickenly sweet to me. I like the Kashi TLC granola bars best. They are high in fiber and protein and they taste yummy.
  • stephfree3
    stephfree3 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Clif Builder bars - they have all natural ingredients and taste pretty good. Amazon.com is the best deal. I just use them when I'm on the run or need some "chocolate". They have 20g protein and 30g carbs.

Those Quest bars sound wonderful, but are $2.00 each. Has anyone discovered a wonderful recipe for protein bars to make at home? I tried one that tasted great, but were crumbly. I think I will tweak it and try again.
  • MJ7910
    Options
    those builder bars sound pretty good and sound like the don't have gross sugar alcohols. i may have to give them a try. are they tasty?
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Nature Valley has a new bar with 10 grams of protein, if that's what you are looking for. They are good, but a little hard. My favorite is Larabar PB Chocolate Chip. Very satisfying for a sweet tooth and all natural ingredients.
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Larabars are one of the very few that don't contain FRANKINGREDIENTS!!! Stay away from the fakeness!
  • tiffany0127
    tiffany0127 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I like the Luna Protien Bars :smile:
  • mommyJto3
    mommyJto3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Lara bars - the only bars with natural ingredients - no sugar!! and most bars have 5 ingredients or less. Try the coconut pie one - my favorite!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I prefer Fiber One for taste, calories, and the fiber. However, I love Clif's taste and protein, but, I hate the calorie amount. I switch off and actually use Fiber One for snacks and Clif for desserts. :)
  • lissadavis
    lissadavis Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the Clif Mojo line. They are often sold for $.95 or $.99 each and are relatively natural. They don't have any of the fake taste, less carbs, and because of all the nuts, they claim to have a low glycemic index. I like the crunchy peanut butter and white chocolate macadamia.
  • melissakay1q
    Options
    I love Lara Bars! They are all natural, usually only a few ingredients, no chemicals and really neat flavors. I had a PB&J that was made with dates, peanuts, dried cherries and salt, that's it, and it tasted JUST like a PB&J sandwich. Peanut butter and chocolate is really good too.

They are not low in calories, from what i recall, but I'd bet they are better as a sweet treat than a candy bar.

I think the base for each one is dates but somehow they have all tasted really delicious to me. It's like magic, or something!
  • sunflower_yogi
    sunflower_yogi Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Think Thin, Larabar, Balance.
  • daddydub
    daddydub Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There is a doctor where I live that recommended Standard Process Standardbars. I've tried them. They are kind of gritty but the flavor isn't bad. http://www.standardprocess.com/display/StandardProcessCatalog.spi?ID=168

EDITED: Just looked through ingredients and it has malitol, which you said you can't do.
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    kashi bars are good. usually have good levels of protein.