don't you just hate it, when people

Options

Replies

• Thad81
    Thad81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I think it is nice that they comment about the weight loss. I feel that they are trying to compliment me without saying wow you used to be so fat and now look at you. I actually had one guy basically say that I was so fat that he could not believe it, and how I had really accomplished alot. That one was sort of hard to totally take as a nice comment, but otherwise I would not come up with some snappy comeback as I feel generally they are trying to be nice. I think eventually they will get used to the new you and no longer have comments.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    What I really hate is running in to people I haven't seen for a long time. Having friends is such a pain!!
    and then they might invite me to lunch...gah!

How dare they take you out to eat! Sabotage!

It's because they're jealous!
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Ha ha! I just got this one recently... After asking another friend, who replied "I don't know , just ask her." An acquaintance came up to me and asked If I had any face "work" done. He said I looked amazing and wanted to know what I had done. I laughed pretty hard and told him I had NOTHING done. I swear!!!!! He high 5'd me and moved on. I laughed with my other friends, saying it's amazing what 30 pounds lost has done and how most people forgot how I looked 2 years ago.

Just roll with it and laugh it off. They mean no harm!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    It's because they're jealous!
    And boom goes the dynamite!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Honestly, people don't know what the heck to say, because there is no right thing to say. People (like you) can be sensitive so they say what they think is appropriate. For me though, I don't give a crap what they say, it all makes me feel good! The only one that really makes me laugh is, "Oh my gosh you've lost a ton of weight." Now, let's be realistic people, 42 pounds is not a ton! That said, just have fun with the answers to questions like that instead of thinking people are implying something!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I've lost 10 pounds and I do feel much better. You really don't feel any better?
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Here's an awesome comeback....

"I do feel great, thank you for noticing!"

They will be rendered speechless.

Exactly!!
  • elenathegreat
    Options
    One can choose to assume the worst of every comment, and live a bitter existence.

One can choose to give people the benefit of a doubt, and live a much more pleasant existence.

(cue the "They're jealous!" comments)

Oh, this is fantastic...who said this?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I just hate anyone commenting on my weight full stop. I hate people asking how I lost weight, and I especially hate people making comments about my sex life in relation to my weight. It's none of your d**n business!
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    One can choose to assume the worst of every comment, and live a bitter existence.

One can choose to give people the benefit of a doubt, and live a much more pleasant existence.

I did. My username was just to the left of it.
  • elenathegreat
    Options

I meant, was it a quote from someone famous or what. Since it was an original from you, Well Done, Smartycat!
  • CaptainGordo
    Options

I meant, was it a quote from someone famous or what. Since it was an original from you, Well Done, Smartycat!
    All mine, baby...
  • Heidiwarwick
    Heidiwarwick Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think their response is a polite, tactful response. They want to know how it feels for YOU. The wrong response, IMO, would be to tell you that you look so much better. That would be rude, shallow and about themselves and how they feel; which is far less important.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,791 Member
    Options
    who you havent seen for awhile, and see that you look awesome, the first thing that they say, is "so do you feel better?".
    Why does everyone assume that if you are fat, that you feel awful.. One of the reasons that i was fat for so long, was that i felt great. My blood pressure was good. cholesterol was good, i felt great. Is that so hard to believe??? I will be coming up with a snappy answer for this. It's really starting to annoy me. How about you. any good comebacks?

I don't care what you say, If you lost 128 lbs you feel better.

I know I certainly wouldn't want to get snarky or sarcastic with a person that noticed and commented on my weight loss.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I disagree with needing a snappy response as well.

Here's the thing, when I first started losing and getting comments, I was uncomfortable with the attention and a little pissed that I'd only made small strides but was getting huge compliments like I'd run a marathon or something. Then I realized, everyone was just trying to encourage me and all their comments/compliments (even if they were over the top) were coming from a good place and I should take them as such. The need to be snarky was my own problem and I got over it quickly...

Now I reply to everything with a positive energetic thankful response. Even if I think it's back-handed or has a bit of *****y venom behind it, I'll kill 'em with kindness. And if you feel up to it, share with them your reasons for losing the weight since it wasn't for the typical health reasons. I'm sure that's all they really want to know when they ask you how you feel now.

I kind of agree with TheRoadDog too - there HAS to have been some changes in your physical and maybe mental well being since losing the weight. You may not remember how you felt back then but I bet you've got more energy and better mobility. And I say that because 80 pounds ago, I was fairly healthy too but I stil feel way better now than I did then.
  • Seventoad
    Seventoad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've had that happen every time I have lost a noticeable about of weight. I know people are just trying to be nice and recognize my accomplishment. I usually just smile and reply with thank you.

When I was at my highest (300 pounds) I had energy, normal blood pressure, and normal cholesterol. My doctor always said I had the insides of a healthy fit person. He was surprised I wasn't sicker from being so heavy.

In any case, I just say thanks or whatever fits their question comment and go on about my day. Take it as a sign that you are accomplishing your goals and don't worry what they were thinking when they said it.
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I agree - people just don't know what to say. We can choose to read the compliment, or we can choose to take it the wrong way, no matter what they say. I remind myself of that and the courage it must have taken to say something to me in way of a compliment because they wanted to give me some sort of support/encouragement.

That being said...the ones that are more difficult for me are when they guess how much weight I have lost (and guess too high), or say "That's all?!" when I tell them I've lost about 110 pounds thus far. I've been told they are just trying to say I look great and look like I've lost much more, but it does get to me a bit. That's ALL? Are you friggin' kidding me?! (And I keep thinking, "Just how much did they THINK I weighed?! Holy crap!")
  • Gretchen27
    Gretchen27 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I always say "thanks" when someone comments on my weight loss, the changing shape of my face or the comment that "you must feel so much better." Like others have said it usually gets a semi stunned silent response as if they expected you to go on and on about how you lost it and why. The real thing that makes me upset is when I disclose how much I have actually lost, to some it dosent sound like an amount to match the results, like you have to lose 50lbs+ to look and feel the way you do:noway: I think they are just waiting for you to say " yeah I lost like X amount but I still need to lose X amount ", like no matter how good you look and feel they still secretly want you to be unhappy because they are:ohwell:
  • narenn
    narenn Posts: 73
    Options
    I've never been asked that... very interesting...

Ask them what they mean. Remember though, what you've done is great! Don't let others make you think otherwise...
  • Laineegrrl
    Laineegrrl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    someone asked me that today. And I was thrown. The answer is no. lmao. I feel normal but my clothes are too big now. hahah
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!