Protein Powder People

Options
I know quite a few of MFP friends use it. I am contemplating buying some...but can I hear the pro's and con's of using it? What kind do you like? And I'm sure there are different "flavors"...how much do you typically take in a day, and is it everyday that you have some? Is it expensive or does it vary?

Input much appreciated.

Thanks,

Olivia:flowerforyou:

Replies

• SteveO390
    SteveO390 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    For about three months now I've been taking GNC Lean Shake 25 vanilla flavor. The 25 is for the grams of protein in each serving (two scoops). The side of the can calls it a "meal replacement" and for some that may be a good idea but for me I ADDED this to my usual breakfast, lunch and dinner meals as a way to get extra protein into my diet. The reason I did is because I had become concerned that I was continuing to lose weight beyond a healthy amount and wanted to make sure my body was not burning off muscle. It turns out my scale didn't work properly but I have continued because my recovery time from workout to workout has been much shorter and my muscles continue to show more definition. I religiously take it two times a day monday thru friday and have one shake on saturday and one on sunday because I generally don't eat as much on the weekends when I'm lounging all day (backwards I know).

I have not tried any others so I can't comment in terms of comparison but for a short while my wife was spending $100 for a one month supply of Beach Body brand meal replacement shakes and with a GNC membership I can get two cans of the lean shake 25, equaling a one month supply for around $60.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I like to use Isopure Zero: http://www.theisopurecompany.com/en/powders It is 210 calories for 2 scoops; 50g protein; 0g sugar; 0g carbs. There are several flavors. I have had the mint chocolate chip and vanilla. I like the vanilla because then I can add whatever fruit I want to change the taste. I also usually add liquid Stevia and some vanilla extract for a sweeter taste. Sometimes I add peanut butter or carob powder (or both) for a nutty taste.Depending on the size of container you will spend between $50-$100. I bought the 7.5LB bucket for $100 but it has lasted me about 8-10 months. Granted, I don't use it every single day but it gives you a rough estimate. Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

Best wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I drink RTD Atkins shakes in the morning. Cafe Caramel (New flavor) and mocha are the best.

If I skip lunch I will have a Syntrax Nectar. My fav flavor is Crystal Sky. It mixes easily and you can get sample packs in a variety of flavors. Love this one!

I think protein shakes / drinks are completely subjective. Some people love one and some hate it.
    You have to find what works for you. That is why I always buy sample packs before investing in tubs!!

:drinker:
  • PeggysDad
    PeggysDad Posts: 105
    Options
    Prefer to get protein from real food sources rather than powders, but that's just me.