Running Shoes

Options
I just started the couch 2 5 K and after 2 sessions have decided I really need running shoes. I'm currently wearing some old new balance cross trainers. I'm unemployed, but have about $50 in Christmas money. We also have a nike outlet, reebok outlet and new balance outlet close by.

Any suggestions of shoes I should look at?

Replies

• TidoWyla
    TidoWyla Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of asics, I bought them this summer when I was doing C25K and I love them!
  • am0313
    am0313 Posts: 1
    Options
    Do you have a JC Penney? You can usually get a coupon and they normally have their shoes on sale. I got a really nice pair of asics jels for $40. They were marked down from 79 to 49, then I had a $10 off coupon. I like asics jels, new balance, and my new favorite are the Kswiss tubes (running shoe). You can also find decent shoes marked down at TJ Maxx or Marshalls.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I have Nike Free Runners from Lady Foot Locker-super light weight and super flexible. I love them
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm a New Balance fan. They have to wide sizes that fit my feet. Very comfortable and they last well.
  • WillowD227
    WillowD227 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 5k goal! If you have a running specialty store nearby, ask for their help. The right pair of shoes will make a huge difference in your comfort & lack of injuries. Running shoes can run the gamut in cost, but most running stores have sale items or closeouts. Our local one often has $100+ shoes for as low as $20. Tell them your budget & they should be able to steer you to the right shoe.

good luck!
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I love my Saucony's, although I don't run I was told when I was looking for a pair for my daughter for track that they are great for runners. She ended up going with a pair of Asics, said they were a bit more comfortable on her.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    The ones that fit the best. Period. End of conversation.

Go to the outlets since you'll get a little more shoe for the money there (typically). Also check out places like Kohls, TJ Maxx/Marshals, etc.

Places like Famous Footwear or DSW have A TON of shoes to pick from, and all the shoes/sizes are on the floor so you can try on as many as you like without needing someone to constantly run in the back ot get your size. Places like that are a great way to find a shoe that fits well before you go buy it online. Personally, I don't do that (buy online) if someone helps me, either takes the time to fit me or just runs back and forth getting me sizes in a bunch of different shoes.
  • cpow81
    cpow81 Posts: 114
    Options
    I got a pair of New Balance running sneakers from Kohl's for like $40 (used coupons too).
  • lovepenguins
    lovepenguins Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I just bought a new pair of ASICS last night. My friend told me that she really loved hers and had no problems with them before. I had to buy a bew pair because I had Sketchers and my feet and shins were killing me.
    Good luck on your sneaker search!
  • kryshouston
    Options
    Asics are said to the the "runners" shoe
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I run in Asics because that's what the military prescribed for my feet (I have high arches). However, if you have flat feet, the military says you should get New Balance.

Also, another good shoe for high arches is Mizuno, but they are a little more expensive, and I go through shoes quickly.
  • soymilkcoffee
    Options
    I love my New Balance shoes!
  • thejackswild79
    Options
    I know it is really tough to do this with a budget, but take the time to go to a running store in your area and get fitted for a good pair of shoes. By running store I do not mean a big box store or department store. Of all things when starting C25K, do NOT skimp on the shoes. Not every shoe works for every person. An ill fitting shoe can make you miserable and even result in an injury.

Right now, last year's shoes are on clearance so you can probably get a good pair in your price range. Or get fitted for a shoe, make a note of it, let them know you need to think about it then search online. I just picked up two more pairs of my shoes (Asics 2160) on clearance for about $40 each. They are usually $100. I am hoarding them. ;)
  • sydanne33
    Options
    I have a pair of Under Armour shoes and I love them. They are way more comfortable than my Nikes!
  • Missjilly1025
    Missjilly1025 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm a Saucony fan myself. I do suggest that you pick up a pair specific to your foot and stride. You could end up with knee injuries if you don't. Running shoes are not something you want to just pick any old pair - it's important that you get a good pair.
  • Orrgarde86
    Orrgarde86 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Asics fan as well here! Mine were a bit more expensive though as I had my run analyzed etc.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    try ebay after fitting in store...I get my saucony's there for half off and they're awesome
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    I got a pair of really good saucony's from TJ Maxx for $30
  • northcastle
    Options
    You should try them on but I have found that the NIKE are the best for me.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    The real answer may be to go to the store and check them all out. Depending on the shape of your foot etc, you may find one brand suits you much better than the others. Also, check out on-line runner shoes outlets, or go to a running store where they actually fit you for your running style. Runner's World probably has a guide to help you evaluate arch type, then follows through with your weight, running style etc and will recommned a shoe type (neutral, support or motion control) and recommned a few brands to look for.