The proudest momment of my journey to date....

Options
Tri_Dad
Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
What a difference six months can make. What a life we can lead if we just have faith and believe that we are capable of doing more. I completed the couch to 5k running program today. That alone is something that I would be insanely proud of ,but tonight was special for me. For those not familair with the program it is a nine week program designed to get you ready to run 5 kilometers(3.2 miles) and I have spent the last nine weeks working toward that goal. Due to my work schedule I have done 95% of my running on a treadmill at the gym. I have heard that a treadmill and outdoor running are different animals and tonight I found that to be VERY true. I thought that since tonight was my last run on the program I would head out early while I still had daylight and go down to the local bike path and try this running thing (For real). Tonight's run is about running for 30 minuetes. And I got to the path and looked down at my heart rate monitor and said... I'll give this my best shot and when I get to the 30 minuete mark I'll be done. It's won't be the full 5k but it will be 30 minuetes. Well away I went. No music....just me, my thoughts and the sound of the river that runs along the path. I always run at a slight incline on the treadmill but this pick path is HILLY. You would think it runs through the friggin swiss alps. But I kept putting one foot in front of the other. By the time I got to the 1.6 mile marker and turned to head back for the last 1.6 I was feeling it. My abs were killing me, my breath wasnt holding up as well as I had hoped and I hit a wall. I just felt like I was done...

But then something happened....I started to think about how far I've come.....I starting to think about those who have supported me in this community.(Thanks guys! I :heart: my black team.) and I thought to myself. "Giving up is not an option....in fact, just for considering it you get to run the second half faster than the first." I focused on my breathing and just kept throwing one foot in front of the other.

As I ran alone with my thoughts and the sun's reflection on the riverwater I kept seeing images of small victories and good choices I have made in the last 6 months. This drove me forward and made my go harder. I attacked each hill with a certaintey that it WOULD not stop me and I pushed with a determination that I have seen time and time again from the wonderful people who have shared this experience with me.

Well the bad news is.....I didn't make it the full 30 mins.....

The good news is.....That's because I completed the 5 kilometers in 25:55.

Thank you so much to all my friends. My goal for my first 5k in june was going to be 28 mins. I am thinking I can do it in 25.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
012.jpg

013-2.jpg

Replies

• lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    That is totally awesome! Congratulations! I'm a little more inspired now that I can become a runner!

Ya' look great and I know you feel great!
  • jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    What an amazing accomplishment!
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    What an inspirational story, SpyGuy! Congrats on the awesome time. You've obviously worked very hard to be healthy, and it shows in your pics, and in your running. Way to go!!
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    That's amazing!!!!! Way to go mister! Keep up the great/inspiring work!!
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh, you are awesome!!! you look great, i simply cannot believe the transformation.

a 25 minute 5k, are you kidding me? you are going to blow everyone away, we are SO proud of you!!!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Andrew you are amazing. I'm proud to know you.
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    :heart: Andrew...Congrats on finishing C5K. I knew you could do it. Amazing time on that run also. May all your future goals come true.:heart:
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Way to go Andrew! You are awesome! Very motivational! I'm so glad to be on your team!
  • JessDan17
    JessDan17 Posts: 9
    Options
    Wow! I am a newcomer to myfitnesspal, only been here for about a week. I read about the cough to 5K running program on Sunday, ironically after I came home from a volunteer event for the humane society-we were hosting a run/walk fundraiser. I told myself on Sunday that I will run the 5K next year, and today, I started the program. I do not think it was by accident that I happened upon your post Andrew. This really inspired me, as I am convinced I could never be a runner. Here's hoping I do as well as you.
    Congrats! That is such an amazing accomplishment and you have so much to be proud of!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    nanananananananananananananana Batman-- Batman-- Batman-- Batman-- Batman-- Batman-- Batman!!!!!!!!!!

BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you rock, Andrew--
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    How cool!
    Congratulations. You're really an inspiration to the rest of us.
  • Vanessa414
    Vanessa414 Posts: 644
    Options
    Dang, Marla got to call you Batman before I did. Awesome job, bud!!! You are SO inspirational and motivating and I'm PROUD to call myself your team member. (and I hope along the way we become great friends along with all of the other wonderful people on our team).

Way to go, Andrew!
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Holy Moly dude!!

That is SOOOOOOOOO awesome!!! Thanks for inspiring me to stick with the program!!!
    Your pics and your determination are true proof that we can do what we put our minds too!!

:drinker: Cheers to you!!!
  • FalconSays
    FalconSays Posts: 62
    Options
    :heart:
    INCREDIBLE!
    :heart:
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    Andrew I am so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so PROUD of you!!!!!
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Wow, that was beautifully written.

You truly are an inspiration and someone to look up to. :flowerforyou:

I'm just starting out on the couch to 5k program and am still unsure of myself.

Now I know that my efforts will be well worth it....thank you :smile:
  • ksproston
    ksproston Posts: 6,933 Member
    Options
    Andrew - Congratulations! What an inspiring story. You've come such a long way and those photos are proof! Keep up the good work. I'm proud to be on your black team! Thanks for the encouragement!
  • laniirvin
    laniirvin Posts: 94
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Yeah Andrew!!!!! You are awesome:drinker: You are an inspiration to us all. We can all do it, if we just try. I have to say I just finished day 2 of week 1 c25k......When do my knees stop hurting??LOL. I will keep going too. Thanks for the story.
  • wmcnicol
    wmcnicol Posts: 144
    Options
    that is awesome!!! congrats!!!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Excellent Time! And you look fantastic too.... :wink:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!