Is there really a correct way to do a squat?

Options

Replies

• Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    His knees do go past his toes. Not that you can learn anything useful from a 200+lb guy squatting 95-135...

what kind of an ignorant statement is that?
    are you saying a person can't practice their form if they're not using a heavy weight? that's exactly how a person should learn. by using a light weight until they feel comfortable with the lift.
    Yes, that's how beginners learn at the start, to get comfortable with the lift. Once you get past the beginner stages, you learn by lifting close to your max where flaws in your technique start to show and you can improve by working on those weaknesses. I've never seen a guy who has never lifted heavy in his life and has perfect technique.
    The guy in the video is lifting so light, he could be squatting on his toes with his back rounded and he would still be fine. I trust people who can actually walk the walk because then I know their form was good enough to get them there alive. I'm not saying you have to be a world record holder to give advice but if I see some guy squatting 135 and he tries to give me advice, why should I listen to him?

@Jeff: He's not even breaking parallel so what's the point of discussing if his knees go past his toes or not?
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Why would his knees move out past parallel if they aren't past his knees at this point?

Most that squat bad, will move their knees out pas the toes right from the get go.
  • Jesung
    Options
    Breaking parallel means that the crease in your hips goes below your knees. I'm not sure I understand what you wrote in that first sentence. Knees behind toes is a bad cue because some people take it literally. If you're doing the important things right, your knees may or may not go past your toes depending on the width of your stance, the bar position, your anatomy, and other factors. Trying to force your knees from going forward and "sitting back" instead, you put a huge amount of strain on your lower back and it will lead to injury.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    The only thing that will over stress your back is of you bow it. Or if you fold it while going down or when you start the intial lift back up. You can avoid both while keeping the knees at or in back of your toes.

Putting the knees in front of the toes puts you at a mechanical disadvantage and requires the knees to start enduring the weight load vs the muscles.

In fact, one of the moves you are supposed to do is to imagine you are going to sit down. In order to do that, you have to reach out with your butt. that doesn' t mean you have to fold your back to do so.

I know what going beow parallel means. I had to do it alot while competing.
  • Jesung
    Options
    The only thing that will over stress your back is of you bow it. Or if you fold it while going down or when you start the intial lift back up. You can avoid both while keeping the knees at or in back of your toes.
    Sure, if you're a powerlifter that may be the case but you're completely missing my point. I never said knees should always go past your toes for every person for every variation of the squat.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Sure, if you're a powerlifter that may be the case but you're completely missing my point. I never said knees should always go past your toes for every person for every variation of the squat.

What I'm saying is the knees going past your toes is never a viable way to do a quat properly. There is no mechanical advantage to it
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Breaking parallel means that the crease in your hips goes below your knees. I'm not sure I understand what you wrote in that first sentence. Knees behind toes is a bad cue because some people take it literally. If you're doing the important things right, your knees may or may not go past your toes depending on the width of your stance, the bar position, your anatomy, and other factors. Trying to force your knees from going forward and "sitting back" instead, you put a huge amount of strain on your lower back and it will lead to injury.

I think he might be referring to people who start the squat by bending the knees first rather than "squatting" at the hips.

You are describing it just right. The "knees must always stay behind the toes" idea can be helpful for beginners to at least get the movement started in the right direction. I do find it helpful with beginners to use a dowel or my arm in front of their knees as a cue to get them used to dropping the hips rather than bending at the waist. But then I emphasize getting the right balance and "feel" for the movement rather than just focusing on knee position.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    but if I see some guy squatting 135 and he tries to give me advice, why should I listen to him?

idiocy!!!
    do you think the guy in the picture maxes out at 135 lbs? it's called a demo. if mark rippetoe put an empty bar on his back and was showing you proper squat form would you not listen to his advice because he didn't have 3 plates a side on the bar?
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    if you want a good idea on a proper squat its just like you about to sit on a public toilet but not letting your butt touch the seat.....

Great description!! Right on the money~ :laugh:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,943 Member
    Options
    Is there a "trick" to making sure your back doesn't "bow"?? Is it just about tightening up all of the muscles of your body while you do the squat, or is there something else?? (I think I'm worried about my lower back, when I squat, so I do something unconsciously which has my toes over my knees and the weight moving off my heels and into my toes...)
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Take a deep breath and flex your upper body tight before you start your squat. It's natural to bend over to squat but you have stick your butt out as the first movement down. It will seem like you will fall back (use a spotter) but you won't. Try squats with just the bar or no weight at all.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,943 Member
    Options
    Thank you.

I had to laugh at your suggestion about using "just the bar or no weight at all"....because, I have dropped ALL the weight to try and work on my form. So, even with NO weight, I'm trying to preserve a lower back injury (I think????) and my form is still needing work.

This weekend, I will:

1. buy new flat-foot shoes;
    2. practice squatting with a broom handle above my head a couple of times in the morning and a couple of times at night;
    3. take a deep breath and flex my upper body tight before I start my squat;
    4. stick my butt out as I'm dropping my hips.

My next squat day is Monday, and I will have a trainer critique my form, again. I am adjusting so that my toes are pointing about 10% off straight, because if I put my toes straight, I just CANNOT get to parallel. Period.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Doing it in front of a mirror will help. Have the trainer spot you and really try to get back on your heels. He can catch you.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Doing it in front of a mirror will help. Have the trainer spot you and really try to get back on your heels. He can catch you.

People often lean too far forward facing a mirror, so be carefull about that one too.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    A kid can squat easily, because most of his weight is in his head. All he needs to do is put his head approximately over his shins. A man can squat easily, because most of his weight is in his upper body. All he needs to do is put his upper body approximately over his shins.
    A woman with a big butt has one devil of a time doing a squat. How on earth is she going to balance that big butt that needs to hang off the back of her legs? She needs exactly as much weight (OK, technically she needs exactly as much torque) FORWARD (in front of her shins) as she puts BACKWARDS (behind her shins) when she is doing the form correctly.

I submit that many male trainers didn't pass their freshman physics exams, and so have no idea why that woman in front of him can't do a proper squat.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Knees going over toes is a big no. Every trainer I have ever had has said that. It puts unnecessary stress on your knee joints.
  • Jesung
    Options
    but if I see some guy squatting 135 and he tries to give me advice, why should I listen to him?

idiocy!!!
    do you think the guy in the picture maxes out at 135 lbs? it's called a demo. if mark rippetoe put an empty bar on his back and was showing you proper squat form would you not listen to his advice because he didn't have 3 plates a side on the bar?
    You do realize he's squatted more than 3 plates in competition right? This is my way of finding good information from the sea of bad ones out there. As far as I'm concerned, the guy in the video did nothing to convince me that he knows what he's doing.
  • addisondisease
    Options

idiocy!!!
    You do realize he's squatted more than 3 plates in competition right? This is my way of finding good information from the sea of bad ones out there. As far as I'm concerned, the guy in the video did nothing to convince me that he knows what he's doing.

Rippletits can show how to squat with an empty bar because he's god, and can do no wrong.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

idiocy!!!

I've squated with more than 4 plates in competition.
  • addisondisease
    Options

I've squated with more than 4 plates in competition.

Its doesn't really show.