Miracle Noodle

Options
Anyone heard of or tried the "miracle noodle"? Just wondering it they're worth a try.

http://www.miraclenoodle.com/

Replies

• lincolns
    Options
    Anyone heard of or tried the "miracle noodle"? Just wondering it they're worth a try.

http://www.miraclenoodle.com/
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    does anything called a miracle noodle really sound credible to you?
  • Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    Options
    arn't they ****ake noodles? lol- basically- I don't know why you would? There gets to a certain point where you have to wonder where these food derivitives are coming from. I.E. Dextrose, Malodextrin, splenda, etc and if they are even healthy for us?

Obviously everything all natural was intended to be good for us. My advice is to lose the "miracle" and put wholesome goodness (whole wheat noodles) into your body. Your body will actually know what to do with it!
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of these but they sound weird. I have, however, tried the ones made of yam flour or something. Can't remember the name. I pretty much decided that they had the consistency of worms. Actually, worms may have been better. My friend's dog wouldn't even eat them. He eats all of the extra food around their house! :sick:
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    So are they made of styrofoam? I can't imagine something that is claiming to be a food can have absolutely no calories or nutritional value.
  • lisapisa81
    lisapisa81 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i read up on these and i guess the regular name for them is shirataki noodles, and they have been around for a while - someone just decided to brand them "miracle noodles" and sell them online to make money. they are made of a fibrous root which is why they're basically all fiber. apparently you can find them in asian groceries or even in the regular grocery sometimes.

based on what people that had tried them said in different boards, they can be pretty good if you prepare them correctly. i'm going to give them a try because i was planning on making stir fry tonight anyway. if i can find them in my local albertsons and get a chance to use them tonight, i'll post back tomorrow with the results.
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    i read up on these and i guess the regular name for them is shirataki noodles, and they have been around for a while - someone just decided to brand them "miracle noodles" and sell them online to make money. they are made of a fibrous root which is why they're basically all fiber. apparently you can find them in asian groceries or even in the regular grocery sometimes.

based on what people that had tried them said in different boards, they can be pretty good if you prepare them correctly. i'm going to give them a try because i was planning on making stir fry tonight anyway. if i can find them in my local albertsons and get a chance to use them tonight, i'll post back tomorrow with the results.

THAT'S the name! Shirataki! NASTY!!! Blech!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Well these aren't the same as the ones I've tried. The ones I tried had Tofu in them. The directions are the same however so they may be similar. The ones I tried had 20 calories per serving. You have to rinse them thouroughly and dry them completely.

I wish someone would log in and say what they think of the Miracle Noodle.

I'm anxious.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Well these aren't the same as the ones I've tried. The ones I tried had Tofu in them. The directions are the same however so they may be similar. The ones I tried had 20 calories per serving. You have to rinse them thouroughly and dry them completely.

I wish someone would log in and say what they think of the Miracle Noodle.

I'm anxious.

Here are reviews from another board I belong to.....................................

There are several threads regarding them and the reviews and recipes on how to enjoy them.

The good, the bad, and the ugly...............

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/search.php?searchid=3199309
  • lisapisa81
    Options
    so i never did get a chance to try these last weekend - our regular grocery store didn't carry them in the asian section, and i wasn't going to asian grocery on the weekend...but i thought i'd post the wiki on shirataki mushrooms (aka miracle noodles) for those that want to know what they are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirataki

i still want to try them :)
  • CarrieGabelle
    Options
    I bought Miracle Noodles and they arrived last week -- the angel hair kind. I was so excited and anxious to try them!:love: I prepared a fantastic red sauce and let it simmer for hours. I rinsed off the noodles and, while the smell was gross and I was a bit nauseated by their texture, I had high hopes.

The truth: they are FOUL. Not only do they look like oversized maggots (so sorry for the language here), but their consistency is only a little more chewable than gummy worms.

After the noodles were in the sauce for a while (so they could "absorb the flavor"), still gross. I tried adding some shredded cheese. Didn't help. I tried adding ricotta. No use. I poured the whole nasty mess down the garbage disposal.

And now I understand why the minimum purchase for Miracle Noodles is a box of 10 packs. There is no way in HECK I would ever (1) finish off my existing order, or (2) buy anything from them ever again. Steer clear. If you want pasta, just have a tiny serving of the real stuff or the whole wheat stuff.
  • lisapisa81
    Options
    alright so this is a super old thread, but even with all the poor reviews i was still curious to try this type of noodle. the other day in a local grocery store, i saw they had different kinds of tofu shirataki noodles...they're not pure yam flour like the miracle noodles; they also have tofu in them.

so i opened them and they smelled horrific, really fishy nasty. based on some posts from people that liked them on other sites, i boiled them and then rinsed them in cold water...they're already soft so they don't need to be boiled very long, maybe 5 minutes. after rinsing them, the gross smell was completely gone. after that i dried them off a little, and made a light alfredo sauce for them.

so i thought they were fine...yeah they were a little chewy, but i'd say it wasn't that different from al dente angel hair, or soba noodles. plus, it was only 40 calories for the whole package, so i was able to put more cheese in my sauce to actually make it taste like alfredo, without it blowing my calories for the day!

if anyone is interested in this at all, let me know and i will post the recipe for the alfredo sauce. this is the most satisfied i've felt with a meal in a looooong time.