Crossfit--worth it or too extreme?

Options
So, my soon to be sister-in-law and her husband are RAVING about joining Crossfit. They are pretty consumed by it (referring to their gym friends are the Crossfit "family" and going to Crossfit Paleo dinners) and have now completed swtiched to the Paleo (aka Caveman) diet. To me, the whole things seems a little cult-ish (I mean no offense to die-hard Crossfitters on this site!) and potentially dangerous, as I've heard members pride themselves on working out until they puke. On the other hand, the people saying this are in amazing shape. I'm just curious to see what people's thoughts are on this craze....?

Replies

• Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, Crossfit is too extreme.

I know some runners that tried it for cross training, and had to miss some important races due to Crossfit injuries. After they recovered, they decided not to go back to Crossfit, because it was too extreme, but to go back to working with their personal trainer instead. The extreme nature of Crossfit does cause a lot of injuries.

People that join Crossfit can sometimes be very cultish about Crossfit and everything associated with it.

Before you make a decision, you might want to read this article about Crossfit from the NY Times-

Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all

and this blog from a former Crossfit participant
    http://theprimordialwingnut.wordpress.com/2010/12/11/crossfit-is-dangerous-or-how-to-love-a-slap-repair/
  • Modari
    Modari Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree - I personally think it is too extreme. I went to one class with my husband and could not walk up and down stairs for 4 days afterwards. I was in so much pain that I could not do the daily exercise that I do (bike riding, yoga, running) so we never went back. I know a few people who have become absorbed into the cross-fit 'cult' - all they do now is talk about cross-fit and paleo eating, which for me would never work - i think if you are working out that hard you need some healthy carbs in your body for energy and all of that meat/cholesterol cannot be a good thing in the long run. One person I know on the paleo diet deprives herself of carbs and sugar, preaches to everyone about how unhealthy carbs are, and then binge eats cinnamon buns when no one is looking. I just do not think it is a healthy, sustainable lifestyle.

That being said, just because it would not work for me, doesn't mean that it's not the right thing for someone else. You could always try out a class and see if you like it.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm very glad to see that other people are on the same page as me--I'm really worried about my friends who do Crossfit! One of them has already hurt their back, one hurt their leg, and ALL they do is talk about Crossfit and preach Paleo eating! I don't think they realize how "cultish" they look/sound...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I think it probably depends on the particular one you go to and who's running it. My brother in law and his wife rave about it. But I've also heard it's "too extreme" from some folks on MFP. LivingSocial or Groupon recently had a 1 month unlimited Crossfit offer for $50... maybe this is still available.. might be worth buying and checking out in your area.

To play devil's advocate... the normal price is $150/month, and that sounds too extreme to me..... You can get a $50/month gym membership instead and spend the remaining $100 on buying up equipment to build a home gym :)
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I just started Crossfit this week actually and have been eating paleo off and on for the past year. I am not a fan of the "preachers" by any means especially as there are several right answers to leading a healthy life regarding both fitness and nutrition. I do however love Crossfit because for me it's a time efficient way to get my workouts in when I'm working 80 hours a week. Also, a good coach knows how far to push you, so really most of the bad injuries aside from just general soreness can probably be attributed to poor coaching/no coaching.

In the long run as far as diet goes, I always fall back on "moderation is key". I don't preach paleo, all my friends know that I'm on it only because they ask why I'm not eating the bun on my burger if we go out or why I turn down offers for certain foods. To each their own. It works for some, not for others. I don't really know of a good way to shut up the "cultish" members or believe me, I would be doing it. : )

Again, I'm kind of a newbie, but have been around Crossfitters and Paleo-ers for the past two years or so and I'm kind of a nerd so I did a lot of research before I started either of them.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    To play devil's advocate... the normal price is $150/month, and that sounds too extreme to me..... You can get a $50/month gym membership instead and spend the remaining $100 on buying up equipment to build a home gym :)

-That's an INSANE amount of money!!!!!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    That is what is appealing about CrossFit I think. The fact that people develop this intimate family of others to support and help them. Honestly, I think it is whatever floats your boat. Many love it, and I would consider joining a gym if I could afford it. It's the experience, the hard work, and the close knit group that you get that people really pay for.

When I did a free class at one CrossFit gym, I thoroughly enjoyed it. People were cheering each other on, it was very supportive. Also, it really depends on the gym you join. I have heard bad things about them, but others I have heard amazing things. If you are getting pushed to an unhealthy limit, then you should consider changing gyms.

That's my two cents anyway. Do what makes you happy and what keeps you motivated. Everyone has different tastes and what works for one person doesn't work for another.

As for working out until you puke, I had a Jr. High track coach tell our entire team that we weren't real runners until we worked so hard we vomited. It's not just CrossFit that goes into that mentality.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,164 Member
    Options
    Crossfit, like everything, can be taken to extremes. I am not part of a Crossfit box, but the workout modality that Crossfit uses works very well as long a good form in the exercises is emphasized. Some boxes don't do that, they push for people to go faster and faster with no caution about good form. That is what leads to injuries. The problem with seeing it as extreme is that everything you said about Crossfit could be said about running. I have known runners who are completely into running and their running group. They run no matter what the weather conditions, even when it is extremely icy, and they push themselves and shrug off injuries. I think it is more a matter of your family members finding something at Crossfit they are missing elsewhere in their life. Thus their passion for it. BTW, I see people here being that obsessive about MFP also.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in high-level athletic performance and outstanding overall physical fitness to rival firefighters and infantry grunts in the armed forces, then it could be worth it. If you are going to be content to be an "average" human, it's likely not.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I'd give it a go when I'm fit enough but I've heard that there's a strong culture of going too far within it.

It's one thing to pride yourself on pushing the envelope but it's another thing to ignore your body when it's about to pop a muscle or wreck a joint.

Just give it a go but be mindful that the instructors will probably not care if you get a cramp and will try to make you push through pain. Stay in control of your own body and stop if you feel you need to stop.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I'd much rather be an "average human" that gets fit gradually than a Crossfitter in the emergency room!

http://www.bookofodds.com/Accidents-Death/Articles/A0501-Exercising-Yourself-into-the-ER-Living-the-Tale
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    :heart: Love Cross Fit!! I think it is awesome!! It makes you push yourself more than you really think you're capable! My husband has thrown up, but I slow down if I start to feel nauseous. Just know yourself & you don't get sick. :sick: At our Cross Fit gym, we have been told some about the Paleo diet, but we are not currently doing it, so I can't really comment on the diet part. But I think think Cross Fit is well worth it & so awesome!!
  • PrfctGdess
    Options
    I've never actually tried it but I have a good friend who is very into Crossfit and Paleo. She's a very down-to-earth person and it works for them. But then, the key to all of this is finding what works for you and your family to keep you in a healthy state long-term, so if you think Crossfit is too extreme for you, then maybe it is. :)
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I've not done Crossfit, but have looked into it. What I've found on numerous sites is that it can be very "cultish". It is very extreme and seems to throw people of all fitness levels into the same group. The fatigue factor kicks in during the workouts and a lot of times people are performing exercises, that are too advanced for them already, incorrectly. Too much potential for injury.

These are just things I've read from people who have attended these classes in different areas.
  • Gretchen27
    Gretchen27 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Maybe this was already posted but this looked scary and someone is bound to get killed.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BDDyxXyf6UU
  • xomissheatherox
    Options
    My friend was obese all of his life, one day he got into cross-fit and within a year he lost ALL of his weight, his fat, his spare tires around his waist, and he is doing very well for himself. I do not agree with his eating habits, but it works for him and he can do it so whatever works for you. He is now a cross-fit trainer and has kept the weight off since he lost it.

Before I knew what cross-fit was I asked him to help me lose some weight, and I am on a -eat meat rarely, avoid cheese, and milk is a serious no-no - diet, first thing he did was attack my diet. I told him as a woman my age I should be getting 55-65 grams of protein a day (according to most websites, doctors, and MFP), and i can easily attain that goal without animal products, he said flat up " that is no where NEAR good enough" He said that our problem in america is the carbs that we eat, our body turning it into insulin and then us becoming resistant then making us diabetic. My thing is, most Vegans LOVE carbs and eat them as much as they want to. Most vegans are on average, very fit and very healthy, and live 10 years longer than the average American. If 'carbs' do this, why do vegans on average live a whole decade longer than meat eaters?

Needless to say, we don't talk about diet or fitness around each other :)

Do research, try it out yourself, see what works for you :)
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I told him as a woman my age I should be getting 55-65 grams of protein a day (according to most websites, doctors, and MFP), and i can easily attain that goal without animal products, he said flat up " that is no where NEAR good enough"

FWIW that seems really low to me, too.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Most people involved with Crossfit are extremist about their workouts. Crossfit is known for that.

I am not training to be a first responder or hand-to-hand combat warrior, or anything like that. I just want to be healthy and reasonably fit, and for that, Crossfit offers you nothing of value that you can't get at a more reasonable, safer level at plenty of other places.
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've never actually tried it but I have a good friend who is very into Crossfit and Paleo. She's a very down-to-earth person and it works for them. But then, the key to all of this is finding what works for you and your family to keep you in a healthy state long-term, so if you think Crossfit is too extreme for you, then maybe it is. :)

Very nice response!!

I haven't been to a Crossfit box, but would love to!! My trainer has helped me modify exercises to my ability... again, I think ANYTHING could go bad if you don't have the proper instruction, it's easy to get hurt.
  • t3hsandy
    t3hsandy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    One of my friends in High School used to be into Crossfit. She had a deal with her boyfriend at the time where they would point out if the other gained any weight. He told her she started gaining some, she joined Crossfit. She told him he was gaining, he dumped her. So she worked her butt off and is now doing MMA at her University. She LOVES it, but she also looks great. I haven't seen anything in her logs or updates that things were extreme. Sure, the workouts look difficult and more power to her for doing them, but it was an outlet for her. She has a lot of energy, very sweet and not in anyway someone who would overdo something or go to extremes. So it's probably an individual thing. Could also be serotonin levels from working out. Especially as a group, that could really make one excited!