Losing my hair and I'm 22 yrs old.

Options
About 2 months I started losing my hair drastically and it's really getting noticeable. Does anyone know what could be lacking in my diet? Has this happened to any of you and what did you change? P.s. I'm not pregnant nor do I have any kids- I've heard pregnancy causes major hair loss.

Replies

• mrskesler
    mrskesler Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    it happened to me in university. apparently it was from stress, according to my doc. it eventually stopped falling out, for whatever reason. it's upsetting, though. I fee for you!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I would go to your doctor asap!
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Go to your doctor-but here's a couple tips: Calcium+VIt D on top of my multivits have improved my hair and nail growth. I lost a bit of hair during pregnancy, and now it's almost back to its ultra-thickness. Also, even if you aren't pregnant, try prenatal vitamins (advice came from a few nurses I work with).
  • hermione_ar
    hermione_ar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Try zinc, worked for my mum.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Could it be genetic? Are the ladies in your family thin?
  • mmonconduit
    mmonconduit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have not experienced this but you may want to try talking a hair skin and nail supplement. I take one made by natures bounty.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Try zinc, worked for my mum.

Or she could try a comb over LMAO im totally kidding.. :D
  • ErikaVx3
    Options
    This happened to me like 10 months ago. I really didn't know what the heck was going on, it was shedding like crazy! I tried Hair, Skin and Nails vitamins, I tried different hair products, I tried to change my diet, and nothing seemed to work. So I decided to chop it and all of the sudden it stopped! lol! and now my hair is growing so much, and it's really thick!

But yeah, I think you should go to a doctor. This is just what worked for me so I don't really know if it would work for you, but hopefully it will :)
  • sbedwards1077
    sbedwards1077 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I began losing my hair and it became more brittle. I ended up with an under active thyroid. However, I was presenting several other symptoms.
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    some medications can cause it, also thyroid problems
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    hm hormonal changes in pregnancy can cause changes in your hair but most women think pregnancy is great for your hair cause of the vitamins. My daughter said she's taking prenatal vitamins for life LOL
    it's the ANESTHETIC - the saddle block - that causes hair loss

could you be dieting too drastically? drinking lots of water? Need to see your dr
  • parteegirl01
    Options
    If you are losing your hair it is important to have your thyroid checked. Low thyroid hormone causes you to gain weight, lose your hair, sometime have dry skin and if you let it go it can cause joint pain and reproductive problems. I'm not trying to scare you, but it runs in my family and I know that losing your hair is one of the first things people notice before they find out that's what's wrong. Hope it gets better soon.
  • rhonda_does_life
    rhonda_does_life Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Try adding more protein to your diet is the only advice I could give. Good luck!
  • fiat
    fiat Posts: 17
    Options
    if you've had a baby its natural to lose hair right afterwards, but it grows back.
    also, if you have very low iron thats a cause for hair lose in both men and women. my family carries a genetic anemia and all the men that have the trait are bald by about 25, very sad, and the women have very thin hair. we can't take iron because it complicates the condition, and so hair lose is one of the side effects of the anemia.
    i would reccomend a trip to the doctor and bloodwork to see if you are anemic.
  • TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I would suggest the Drs first of all if you've not changed anything and it's worrying you. The added worry of hair loss may cause the condition to worsen ironically.

The only time I've had this problem is with a change of medication, and also hair loss is more common in the autumn months. I've found since upping my vitamin B intake my hair is in better condition (with fewer greys...) so that might be worth a try?
  • bt_13_21
    bt_13_21 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have had hair loss 3 different times, and each was a different reason! Once was low thyroid, once was stress, once was low vitamin D (I live in a northern climate. Not much sun exposure, esp in winter).

Good luck, it's unsettling.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    My hair probably started thinning in my mid-20's. It's genetic so there's not much I can do :grumble:
    But if it happened suddenly (like it sounds from your post) it's more likely caused by something else. Hair loss can be a symptom of thyroid issues, among other things, so I would see your doctor.
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    right after i replied the today show started talking about hairloss in women. Mainly pointing out, thyroid issues- tired, hairloss, dry skin, sudden weight loss etc. They said its a simple cheap test at the dr.s office
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Stress stress stress!! Happened to me when I was 32. Scared the crap out of me. Your hair will come back. But get yourself some prenatal vitamins. If you have a family doctor, he will gladly prescribe for u.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Stress stress stress!! Happened to me when I was 32. Scared the crap out of me. Your hair will come back. But get yourself some prenatal vitamins. If you have a family doctor, he will gladly prescribe for u.