25yr old wanting to lose weight

Options
Hello My name is Michele and for the new year I am going to see about losing about 80-90 pounds. I am being constantly told by family I should lose weight cuz I am too fat to be looked at. I am trying to lose this weight because the doctor told me I was type 2 diabetes and if I lose the weight the diabetes will go away, so I am not doing this for the family I am doing this for myself.

Replies

• kstevens61
    Options
    I am wanting to lose weight myself just need motivation and tips to keep me going. I love food. I come from a large family that eats alot. I want to learn to have better habbits and lose weight. I would love to have others to talk to and keep each other motivated.
  • hermione_ar
    hermione_ar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    That is horrible that your family said that! You deserve to be loved unconditionally and respected, whatever your weight or anything else! You'll find lots of support here. Add me if you like, and good luck with your journey to get healthier.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Welcome to you. You will get lots of support and encouragement on here. Good luck with your journey to a new you. Believe you can do this. Even small changes can make a huge difference. If you want another buddy add me :O) x
  • veronicastelo
    Options
    Wow those are harsh words from your family!! It´s good that your listening to you doctor and doing it for you. Good luck with your new journey and don´t be too hard on yourself it takes time.
  • tinitinytrina
    Options
    that's really horrible that your family would say that to you! I think it's good for family to tell you when you need to lose weight, but not because of how you look but because they love you and want you to be healthy and live long.
    I'm trying to lose weight too... I come from a big family and they never told me that I was overweight although that is something I really needed to hear.
    I was never taught healthy eating or exercise and it's something I'm still learning how to do.
    It's great that you're trying to get healthy for YOU and no one else!
    It takes time and patience so don't give up! Add me if you'd like :)
  • serentity78
    serentity78 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    That is horrible that your family would say that. i need to lose a good 70pounds and am coming back after a year hibernation! Wishing you the best as you start your journey!!!!
  • tinitinytrina
    Options
    I just looked at your profile and just wanted to add some friendly suggestions: as a fellow soda lover I think it will be a lot easier for you to not completely take soda out of your diet but to cut down and maybe eventually cut it out for good. My soda of choice is Coke and I used to drink 6-7 a day. I switched to Coke Zero and limit myself to 2 a day. I was surprised at how much I enjoy Coke zero.
    Also, if you start a diet but don't like what you're eating... you won't stick with it. Try taking foods you eat now and making them healthier.
    Good luck!
  • itsasecret22
    Options
    I think it is horrible of your family to say that! My mom constantly says crap like that too to me, like "you really should lose weight", "youre gunna lose more weight before you have another baby, RIGHT?" and it annoys the hell out of me. Some friends told me about this app so I decided to join. I am 24 and also from Ca. I have ummm.. like 162 lbs to lose.
  • itsasecret22
    Options
    I totally agree. Doing extremes like cutting out all soda really make it harder to stick to it!
  • patricia_love
    Options
    Hi! Don't worry, as soon as you start losing weight, you'll find more motivation! i.e: you'll find it easier to find clothes, you'll get positive comments from friends and others, you'll have more energy...

And the other good thing is that some of the cravings for food that you currently experience will go away or at least get weaker.
  • Acherona
    Acherona Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hello My name is Michele and for the new year I am going to see about losing about 80-90 pounds. I am being constantly told by family I should lose weight cuz I am too fat to be looked at. I am trying to lose this weight because the doctor told me I was type 2 diabetes and if I lose the weight the diabetes will go away, so I am not doing this for the family I am doing this for myself.

hello and welcome, cant believe your family can say things like that, however i know how it feels my family is the same, I am 24 and wanting to lose 100 pounds so if you want to be fitness pals just add me, I will support you as much as i can :)
  • chugglebunny
    Options
    I'm 25 and have about 60-70lbs to shift so feel free to add me too if you want some more support. I'm proud you are doing this form you and not your family, means you have the right reasons at heart and you'll succeed :) You can do it x
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Welcome to you as well - you family may be trying to help you but the comments you metion do sound mean.

I have a very sweet tooth but I have found lots of sugar-free candies and chocolate that taste the same as the 'real thing' and so these are my treats now.

Look at the labels on food at the store as some products have way more sugar and fat in them than others (some breakfast cereals have way more sugar than others).

You will find all the support you need on MFP. don't be afraid to ask
  • jennsavage88
    Options
    On the topic of drinking soda, I was a BIG soda lover. I would drink a 12 pack of pepsi a day! I started by switching to sparkling water and then to seltzer water. Now seltzer water is something that a lot of people don't like the taste of, so you can always add a splash of grape juice... but just a splash!.. for flavor. It's a low cal way to drink something carbonated but still a little sweet. It helped me a lot, hope it helps you too!

Feel free to add me if you want a motivationn buddy!
  • jesshaley93
    Options
    :noway: shelly i have never ever herd anyone tell you. youwhere to ugly to be looked at:mad: none of us think that at all we all love you exstremly and we absalutly suport you on this thats why we helped you learn to eat better when you go out to eat. im very sad that you think that thats what we think of you.:sad: i love you and i got your back always:heart: