Lowest Fat and calorie meat is..... not chicken?

Options
I was just surfing the internet and came up with the info that Lobster actually has only 98 calories per 100 gram serving, with 0.5 grams of fat while the next best, white chicken, has 170 calories and 5 grams of fat. Though we can't afford to eat lobster every meal and it is cholesterol dense, next time you have some savor it because its the lowest calorie animal protein and doesn't taste like that at all!

Replies

• tsegears
    Options
    Good information. I'm always interested in knowing how to eat wiser. Though I certaintly can't afford to eat lobster everyday and as you mentioned, the cholestrol content is very dense, I do enjoy having it from time to time. With this new found information, I just may have to find a way to add it to my meal selection a little more regularly.

13107194.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Lobsters way more expensive though
  • I think Tilapia is pretty low on calories and fat as well
  • inge88
    inge88 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you can get it over where you guys live... but kangaroo is amazing meat! Very low in calories and fat, and very high in protein. And it tastes amazing!
  • Goldenbast
    Goldenbast Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Rabbit meat beats out every other meat such as chicken, pork and beef. It is all white meat (as opposed to chicken with white and dark) plus it has lower fat, lower calories, lower cholesterol, highest in protein, and low in sodium. Plus, rabbits (at least the bred ones-not wild) have the highest percentage of meat to carcass ratio (how much meat you can get from one animal).

I was researching info on food for those who watch cholesterol and sodium and came across the info. There is a website that describes this in a very informative article:

http://www.threelittleladiesrabbitry.com/blog2/2011/01/20/nutritional-value-of-rabbit-meat/

But you can go to the nutrition database and look up rabbit meat and see for yourself.
  • Lose_It_Leo
    Lose_It_Leo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    ostrich is very healthy... great alternative if you dont like fish. nice too!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Many seafood items - prawns, scallops etc are pretty low in cals but still have a fair bit of nutrition in there too - and a bit cheaper than lobster.

Regarding the recommendation to eat kangaroo - I know its very good for you (high in iron, low in fat, lots of protein) - but I just can't stomach the taste of it! It's a very strong tasting meat and although I've tried it a number of times, cooked in lots of different ways, I still can't do it. Pity!
  • raindropwishes
    Options
    I wouldn't have a clue on how to get the different meats to be honest. I would like to try ostrich and rabbit but I think it would cost quite a bit because I live in the city.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you can get it over where you guys live... but kangaroo is amazing meat! Very low in calories and fat, and very high in protein. And it tastes amazing!

I heard the taste has a real kick!
  • CountDown321
    CountDown321 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have a clue on how to get the different meats to be honest. I would like to try ostrich and rabbit but I think it would cost quite a bit because I live in the city.

You could see if your city has a butcher shop. I think Ive seen ostrich and kangaroo at my local butcher, as well as pre-marinated chicken and beef varieties that were about the same price as the local store. Sometimes the reduced prep time/effort is all it takes to eat a little healthier.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but I like the taste of fat in my animal proteins. I'll stick to salmon, tuna, rib steaks, skin on chicken thighs etc.