For people under 5'4"

Options
2»

Replies

• olympicathlete
    Options
    Don't agree with this. While shorter people don't have the advantage of eating as much as someone who is six foot, there is still no need to eat such silly low numbers of calories. I'm 5'3", eat 1400-2100 a day, dependant on exercise, and I'm losing weight just fine. Also, cardio makes you hungry because you're supposed to be eating back what you've burnt to minimise lean tissue loss! Maybe if all you want to lose is mass, but I want to lose pretty much only fat as far as possible. As long as you eat below your maintenance, you'll lose weight. It's pretty simple.
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • sawells94
    Options
    totally worth the read.. I read the whole thing in just two days. It's totally interesting.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Interestig take, but I find strength training is what makes me ravenous. At 5'3 1/2 I barely fit into this group though ;)
  • christenafreda
    christenafreda Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jillathena
    Options
    I'm 5'3 1/4" and am trying to find that magic number of calories that will keep my metabolism going and help me lose weight. I tend to eat less than my 1200 a day and have been at a standstill for about 2 weeks. I wonder if I'm not eating enough...
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    5'4" here. No way in hell I could ever survive on 1,100 calories per day, even if I sat on my *kitten* all day.

What got me to where I am was 1800-2400 calorie per day and P90X (mix of lifts and cardio). What's keeping me here is 1600 on rest days and up to 2200 on active days. I do some bodyweight to maintain mass, but my primary form of exercise is hiking (cardio).

Too many people trying to get fancy in order to sell books. It's not nearly as complicated as they would like us to believe.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    ALL of this makes sense to me, but it makes me a little sad because I LOVE to speed walk/run. Although, I have noticed that the harder I workout, the more difficult it is to lose weight. In fact, I have gained weight during months that I have been most active running 100 to 120 miles that month.

Oh well... good to know. I will do something with this info. Thanks for sharing =))
  • Joebob8
    Joebob8 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    All deficits = weight loss. The issue is really with regard to what plan works best for a particular individual.

Nothing kills my appetite like cardio. A good run at the end of the day and I forget to eat dinner (almost, ha ha).

Strength training on the other hand makes me voracious!!!!! I do serious lifting three days a week and have to exercise quite a bit of self control on those days.

My sweet spot for fat loss is 1300-1500 daily (and I do mean fat loss---I gained 1/2 pound of muscle this month while eating at this deficit). I pretend I eat 1200 calories a day but I don't count things like oil, I don't have a food scale etc. so this helps give me some wiggle room. I'm right at the very end so I'm trying to be extra vigilant.

If I could just do a little bit of strength training and have the self control to eat 1,100 calories, and then go sit and watch tv instead of killing it on the treadmill that would be so cool....sigh