Crossfit--worth it or too extreme?

Options

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,130 Member
    Options
    I'd much rather be an "average human" that gets fit gradually than a Crossfitter in the emergency room!

http://www.bookofodds.com/Accidents-Death/Articles/A0501-Exercising-Yourself-into-the-ER-Living-the-Tale

You made your point earlier. You have a real vendetta against Crossfit, and a tendency to put forward situations like this as the norm, not the exception. Again, as I said above, I can point you to examples of this with pretty much every exercise modality. Enter anything from weight lifting to running to cycling knowing the potential dangers, but don't demonize it because of the wack jobs out there.
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Any form of physical activity runs the risk of injury. Period. Know your limits, remember technique, and get help, if needed. I've seen the inside of a CrossFit gym and personally, I wouldn't know how to work half of the equipment, and even if I did, I'm not sure I'd want to put my body in some of those situations. That's JUST me, though. My advice would be to check out the gym for yourself, maybe take a session with one of their trainers and make a decision from there.
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    I think, like any exercise routine, it's dependent upon how far you take it and what the instructor is like.

I'm starting to get into it, it's fun! I really like it. I am totally a puker no matter what exercise it is, so I'm sure I will puke before long :)

And there is no way I am giving up bread. Or cheese.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    My advice is just go to a normal gym and forget Crossfit. Then you won't have to figure out how to modify their extreme exercise routines so a normal person might be able to do them.

Crossfit routines were created for fitness extremists. If you're not an extremest, you probably won't enjoy being in that kind of an environment.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    If you do a quick google search on the Crossfit "mascot," I'd say that pretty much says it all about their philosophy and whether or not it's extreme (imo very likely too extreme for most people).
  • snkeller24
    Options
    Those of us who crossfit bash our heads every time we see her posts. Talk about beating a dead horse. Bottom line you can get injured doing anything. Crossfit takes functional everyday movements, makes you stronger at them, and like at my box to your ability level. That's important to look for in a box....my coach pushes me when he knows I'm gaming a workout. I've never piker, piker more in high school basketball practice.
    I'd much rather be an "average human" that gets fit gradually than a Crossfitter in the emergency room!

http://www.bookofodds.com/Accidents-Death/Articles/A0501-Exercising-Yourself-into-the-ER-Living-the-Tale

You made your point earlier. You have a real vendetta against Crossfit, and a tendency to put forward situations like this as the norm, not the exception. Again, as I said above, I can point you to examples of this with pretty much every exercise modality. Enter anything from weight lifting to running to cycling knowing the potential dangers, but don't demonize it because of the wack jobs out there.
  • fitTP32
    fitTP32 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Any form of exercise can be extreme. We all have different body types, personality and fitness goals. The question isn't" Is crossfit too extreme" but it should be is 'Crossfit too extreme for me"? Crossfit maybe pricey but have you seen the price of some yoga studios, dance studios, martial arts gyms, Kettlebell workouts and personal training session with a decent personal training. The price really isn't that much different. When you invest YOUR money in doing any form of workout it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks. Its your money and your life. So if Crossfit is "too extreme" or "too pricey" then don't do it and really worry about others who love Crossfit b/c they are definitely not thinking about you.

I love Crossfit it works for me and my personality. I have been working out for years. I got injured running, doing boot camps classes and boxing classes. I also have friends who are professional ballet dancers and they have done more damage to themselves than you can even imagine. They continue to dance b/c they are passionate about it and for them its worth it. Do whatever work out makes you happy and don't criticize the choice others make.
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Things I enjoy about CrossFit:

* The workout is always different. Some days are more strength focused, some days are more cardio focused, some days are a really good mix of the two.

* All the workouts can be modified based on skill and strength.

* There is a trainer there who can and will point out right away if I'm doing something wrong, or if I need to push harder, or if I'm pushing too hard and need to go down in weight or speed or whatever. It's almost like having a personal trainer.

* There is a great sense of community. When someone does something great or needs support, the whole class is right there. And this doesn't just apply to the super strong guy setting some amazing PR. It's also for the 60 year old grandmother who just set her own PR.

But I'll admit it, there are people I know that CrossFit who are extremists. I am not, and in general, people at my box are not. There are people there who do paleo, but our onsite dietitian does not recommend it.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    While I know there are some extreme people that enjoy programs like Crossfit, I really hate to see it advertised as being for people of all fitness levels, because most Crossfit facilities do focus on the extreme, and while they are happy to take your money and let you in the door to do the beginner classes, unless you are into extreme exercise, you will probably never feel like you fit in with the group.

Having a sense of community where you do your workout is nice, but I would never join a Crossfit gym just to have that, because I can get a sense of community from my running group and other places.

I would much rather see a lot of the money that people pay to Crossfit go to the YMCAs, because the YMCA is a non profit organization, and they do a lot to help the communities.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on which Crossfit you go to. My son has friends who go to the one in our city. He went with them once to observe their workout and he said the form was really bad, and the trainers weren't bothering to correct it. He said he was just cringing waiting for someone to get injured. That said, his friend's mom has had great success with weight loss and her only workouts have been at Crossfit.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Even outside the issue of the extreme level of intensity with Crossfit workout routines, I think Crossfit is one of those franchises that grew much faster than it should, and is at a point where there is absolutely no assurance of any kind of quality or level of experience of the owners or trainers.

From what I understand, all people have to do to gain the legal right to call their facility a Crossfit "box" or gym is attend a short training and pay out some money to the organization.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/start-crossfit-business-13646.html
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is the right choice for me because I really miss fifth grade PE class and recess :) I missed having a group of friends (well, some you could always take or leave, right?) that I saw five days a week to run around with, race, goof off with and engage in friendly competition with. Crossfit fulfills my human need to play. I'm sure there are other groups that offer this as well, but this one suits me best. This doesn't mean it may be best for all.

If you find it too extreme, I entirely respect that :) I belong to a great facility with quality coaches. I'm still scaling down almost everything we do, but I'm getting stronger!

I will say though, that it makes me sad when I hear people say things like how the videos are misrepresentative of what most people can do. Sure, they typically feature elite crossfitters, no doubt! But I think many would be surprised at what most people can accomplish... without making fitness their life. (Will all women get a 300+lbs deadlift? Perhaps not! But I bet most can break 200lbs!) We're moving in ways the human body was designed/evolved (whichever you subscribe to) to move! Humans are capable of great speed and strength. Our ancestors were incredibly strong, quick and fit! Especially women - don't sell yourself short. If you have no desire to get faster or stronger through any medium, or do crossfit specifically, I 100% respect that! BUT if you want to and think you can't, I implore you to reevaluate! Of course you cannot step in and start doing 200lbs deadlifts or swing a 35lbs kettle bell over your head coming from a very unfit body (if the coach advices this, run away quickly! in a crossfit gym or otherwise) - it takes time and work and patience. It's about the long term.

I don't go to crossfit to burn calories. I don't go to crossfit to get skinnier (admittedly it has had quite the positive effect in my physique lol).

I go to crossfit to have fun and play with my friends :) I sincerely hope everyone here finds what fulfills that need for them, be it crossfit, a running group, a recreational sport team or otherwise.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    absolutely too extreme for my husband, but definitely not too extreme for me. And if the WOD is one I can't Rx, I will scale it to something I can do, pushing myself to my own limits.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It's not an intelligent way to approach resistance training.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I'm glad I have places I can play with my friends that does not involve dealing with Crossfit Workout of the Day extremism and Crossfitters with elitist attitudes!
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    How'd I know Racheal would be all over this like stink on ****.:laugh:
  • sertcelik
    Options
    I do SOME CrossFit workouts but they are monitored by my trainer and even tailored so that I'm not injured.. my number one priority. Once you've spent time with a hurt back or pulled hamstring you are more cautious. CrossFit or sit on the couch? CrossFit for sure!! Just be careful and do what you can do well, and leave the extreme stuff for when you are ready.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I have places I can play with my friends that does not involve dealing with Crossfit Workout of the Day extremism and Crossfitters with elitist attitudes!

I'm happy you have found places to incorporate play in your life. Many people today don't, and it makes me sad that a lot of us have lost sight of this.

I wish you the best.
    And again, thank you for your caring, genuine concerned attitude and general uplifting spirit to help all MFP find something that can bring them joy, happiness and fitness.
  • try2basunbeam
    Options
    How'd I know Racheal would be all over this like stink on ****.:laugh:
    I thought the same thing! LOL
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    bump to read later :)