Now on diet, people offering me more food ! Help !

Options
I'm really determined to lose weight this time and looking forward to my first big holiday for a long time, looking great and healthy:smile:

Anyone finding that work colleagues, friends, family, boyfriend/girlfriend etc are offering you food and normally unhealthy food at that, or putting temptation in your way however much you politely say something like no, I'm on a diet ?

I've only been dieting a few days and has happened a lot. Any tips you can offer to help me handle it ?

Many Thanks

Replies

• Kateinprogress
    Options
    I have two things that help me in social situations:

1.- Tell people about what you're doing! Talk to them about how you're getting healthy/ in shape. If you involve them in your weight loss they're more likely to support it and help you. They probably don't realize offering you food is so difficult so nicely talk about how you're proud of what you're doing+ how you're doing it!

2.- I usually bring a dish to any party/ get together I go to. Clear it with the host first but most people are more than happy to have your dish out as well. This is EXTREMELY helpful because it gives you a reliable dish you know you can eat and still be healthy with. It also goes back to the topic of point 1 where you can tell people about what you made, how it relates to being healthy, and what kind of stuff you're eating now.

Hope that helps, good luck! :)
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Two magic words:

I'm full.

repeat, repeat, repeat! eventually they will give up.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Two magic words:

I'm full.

• LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Great advice here. My biggest problem is the office. People are constantly bringing treats - birthdays, holidays, just because, etc. We have quite a few very skilled bakers, which doesn't make things easier. If stuff is just "there" for grabs, I do my best not to pass by the items during the day. I'll take the "long way" to the bathroom or whatever. If I am offered something that isn't that exciting, I just say "No thanks, I'm full." If it's something special that I really DO want (just not right that minute) I grab one and wrap it up in foil to take home for later. Lots of goodies are freezable. I always have a stash of foil, ziplocs, and takeaway containers in my desk for these situations. Another office strategy I have is for meetings/parties where birthday cake, doughnuts, and pastries are offered. I simply bring a mug of tea or coffee with me as a "prop." It may sound odd, but having something to keep my mouth busy totally helps me not grab for whatever is being offered. It also cuts down on the "why aren't you having any cake? are you on a DIET?" comments for some reason.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Two magic words:

I'm full.

That's so crazy, it just might work!!
  • SallyClare
    SallyClare Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I tend not to tell people on a diet, or I'll say something like "I've just eaten, I'm full, I'm having a big meal later".

I find that these tend to work :)
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I tend not to say I'm on a diet and now I'm maintenance I'm not eating to a calorie deficit but that doesn't mean I want to eat cake and biscuits as part of my everyday routine.

My office always has something sweet lurking about and at first declining the treats were met with a few funny looks and even some comments further into my weight loss - but now they don't bat an eyelid when I don't reach for the biscuits and I think have got used to the fact that I actually prefer to eat more healthily (I have never been a huge fan of processed sugary treats anyway). Other, though slightly lame excuses I've used are:
    "I'll have one/some later" (normally after an hour of offering they've completely forgotten and you come away unscathed)
    "No thanks I have cake at home I need to eat/friends over for dinner/eating out" I normally used that line when it truly was the case and "No I don't want to eat two servings of dessert in a day".

BUT basically the very easiest thing to say is "No thanks". You don't need to give a reason, it's your body and you can choose to eat, or not, whatever you want.

It's tough at first, but I promise you it gets easier. xx