New and in need of a little advice!! SO EXCITED!

Options
Hi everyone,

My name is Shelley, I'm 20 currently studying to be a nurse. I want to lose weight so I'm not a hypocrite when teaching my patients about their diet etc.

I stopped smoking before Christmas!! And ate lots of chocs over Christmas!
And my mum told me about this site, I took my Day 1 of MFP pictures last night and was pretty much disgusted!

Every single post I have read on this site is inspirational. You guys are fantastic and it's so nice to see everyone supporting each other. Just what we all need!

Ok, so I was just wondering..

- Do you enter your weight on here every day?

- When is the best time to weigh yourself? Day/Night?

- Also, I don't currently do ANY cardio exercise.. yesterday I did two 10 minute fast pace jogging and was shattered and sweating!
Would you recommend building up the jogging and cardio workout before getting a workout vid like 30Day Shred?

If you can only answer one of my questions then please do!
Would love to hear from you all..

All my love, S x

Replies

• LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hi Shelley, and welcome!

I'm sure everyone will have their own answers to your questions, but I will give you my opinion. For reference, I did lose 50 pounds and kept it off for about 7 years. I am here because I stopped counting calories and gained 20 pounds. I know how to lose/maintain, I just didn't put it into practice.

I do not. I find that I can easily become obsessed with the number on the scale. So many factors cause weight to fluctuate from day to day, hour to hour - sodium intake, time of day, whether or not you've used the bathroom, etc. I weigh myself every Friday and that's it.

I weigh myself in the morning every Friday. I don't know if there is a "best time" but I just like to be consistent from week to week.

- Also, I don't currently do ANY cardio exercise.. yesterday I did two 10 minute fast pace jogging and was shattered and sweating!
    Would you recommend building up the jogging and cardio workout before getting a workout vid like 30Day Shred?

Do not kill yourself with the exercise. People can get nutty and really overdo things and damage their bodies. Please start slow and build up. Walking is excellent (and free). I have not ever done the 30DS, but I have heard from some people that it ruined their knees. I like Leslie Sansone's walking videos, as they are low impact but definitely effective. When I lost my 50 pounds, I never went crazy on the exercise. It was a steady routine of 20-45 minutes of walking 5 days a week. I also do a lot of walking in my daily life (during lunch hour, walk to the market, take the stairs instead of elevator, etc.)

Hope you find what works for you, and I wish you the best on your journey to a healthier you!
  • shelleydavies1991
    shelleydavies1991 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your advice.

And well done on your achievements! That is fantastic!!

I like your idea of just weighing yourself once a week at a certain time.. it does make much more sense!

I'll try not to get nutty about exercise - thanks for the advice, maybe I'll just keep on with my jogging and build up that way.

Thank you ever so much for replying so quickly!

I hope you have a lovely day, S x
  • annasaidso
    Options
    The first couple of weeks I used to log my weight every day just to see if the adjustments I made to my diet had any effect.

Now I check my weight maybe twice a week.

In terms of exercise... I started slowly with a stationary bike for 20 minutes. Over a month I built up my endurance to an hour. Then finally 90 minutes.

When I reached the 90 min mark, I decided to start training for a 5K.

I started with a couch to 5K plan 10wks ago. I could barely manage running/jogging for 2 minutes straight. Now I run for 50 minutes non-stop.

It seems daunting at first, but don't focus on the forest just yet. Focus on the tree right in front of you. You'll see the rest of the forest before you know it.
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome.

FIRST, CONGRATS ON QUITTING SMOKING. I quit 12 yrs ago. Best thing I ever did for myself!

I agree with Loreleiwalks. I would pick a time/day and use that as your weigh in. doesn't really matter if it is morning or night because if you are consistent with the time and following your program the weight loss will show. I am aware that we tend to retain some water over the course of a day but if you weigh in at night, initially, then that number would already be reflected. Start slow with the working out. You did 20 minutes of jogging. WAY TO GO. Stick with that for awhile and when you find that you are doing the 20 minutes wthout struggle then bump it up. either longer run or a different workout, whatever works for you. You don't want to beat yourself up so much that you don't want to continue.

(I've also lost a bit of weight. kept it off for several years and then, like loreleiwalks i got lazy and careless and before I knew it I had regained 20 pounds)
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options

I enter it once a week on Thursday mornings.

In the morning before you eat or drink anything.

When I started, I used to jog in place in my spare room to youtube music videos. I would start at 20 mins, and later worked my way into doing it for a full 60 mins. I also did a LOT of bike riding over the summer and into the early winter.
    Then I started the 30 day shred. It's HELL at first, but your endurance will pick up and it's definitely worth doing :)
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week in the mroning when I wake up usually friday for me

weighing yourself everyday will make you crazy lots of fluctuations

i hate running but people tell me the couch to 5K program is good for starting out

I like the beachbody programs especially insanity, I threw up the first time I did it :) but was able to do a little more and take less breaks every week lost 30 of my pounds in 2.5 months on it
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Hi Shelley, and welcome!

I'm sure everyone will have their own answers to your questions, but I will give you my opinion. For reference, I did lose 50 pounds and kept it off for about 7 years. I am here because I stopped counting calories and gained 20 pounds. I know how to lose/maintain, I just didn't put it into practice.

I do not. I find that I can easily become obsessed with the number on the scale. So many factors cause weight to fluctuate from day to day, hour to hour - sodium intake, time of day, whether or not you've used the bathroom, etc. I weigh myself every Friday and that's it.

I weigh myself in the morning every Friday. I don't know if there is a "best time" but I just like to be consistent from week to week.

Do not kill yourself with the exercise. People can get nutty and really overdo things and damage their bodies. Please start slow and build up. Walking is excellent (and free). I have not ever done the 30DS, but I have heard from some people that it ruined their knees. I like Leslie Sansone's walking videos, as they are low impact but definitely effective. When I lost my 50 pounds, I never went crazy on the exercise. It was a steady routine of 20-45 minutes of walking 5 days a week. I also do a lot of walking in my daily life (during lunch hour, walk to the market, take the stairs instead of elevator, etc.)

Hope you find what works for you, and I wish you the best on your journey to a healthier you!

Wise words!
  • AMcMaster
    AMcMaster Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    welcome!!! you can do it!!
  • shelleydavies1991
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Thanks for your advice, it's lovely to know that there are people out there that have taken their time to reply and support!

Annasaidso, I think that is what I need to do, just build up gently and do it like you have!

Well done on your weight loss, it really is inspirational to know that you started off just doing small amounts of exercise and now you're training for a 5K! Good on you girl!!

Thank you for the inspirational quote too, I'll try to remember that when I'm looking like a beetroot and sweating like mad jogging!

S, x

Cherrieruns, THANK YOU!! The smoking was really hard, but I feel so great..even after one month!! Well done on your quitting too! I'm sure you'll sympathise with the struggle!

Ok, so I will pick a a day and time I think for the weigh-in!!

Well done on your weight loss! Is that you running in the picture? I aspire to do a run one day.. Not just yet though!

I tripped yesterday when I was jogging, damn pavement.. I have a nice bruise on my rib to remind me I need to keep going!!

THANKS GIRLS - really appreciate all the support already!!

S, x
  • sjackson902
    sjackson902 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Oh wow! Two 10-min sets? To me that's AWESOME. I've been working on C25K for about three months now and I just ran my first solid mile yesterday. You're in much better shape starting out than I was about eight months ago. I bet you could push yourself and do one of those tough programs.

Keep up the great work!!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week first thing in the morning after getting out of bed before eating or drinking and after using the bathroom.
    I do not enter my weight everyday just on the weigh in days. I started 30DS without having a cardio schedule before. There are 3 levels to it with Level 1 being the easiest and there is also someone on the video doing modified moves for those of us not as fit. It can cause knee pain if you do it every day I only do the video 4x/wk and have no knee problems. The key is not to do it everyday and it works you really work up a sweat its just that it is so short I usually combine it with another workout. Find what works best for you and your schedule. I went through many workouts before I found ones that worked for me and when I get bored I go out and buy a new one. 30DS was only $6 and there are others out at around the same price. As well as free ones online and my cable company has some that are free on demand.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

My name is Shelley, I'm 20 currently studying to be a nurse. I want to lose weight so I'm not a hypocrite when teaching my patients about their diet etc.

And my mum told me about this site, I took my Day 1 of MFP pictures last night and was pretty much disgusted!

Every single post I have read on this site is inspirational. You guys are fantastic and it's so nice to see everyone supporting each other. Just what we all need!

All my love, S x

Doesn't matter when you weigh yourself, just do it at the same time everytime. If you choose to weigh in in the morning (generally when you're at your lightest) make sure every time you weigh in it's in the morning.

I do not log my weight daily, it's a hassle and there's lots of jitter since your body weight can fluctuate a lot. I personally log my weight on here once a month, and weight myself once a week.

The only way to improve your fitness is by doing it. Try to build up slowly. Google couch to 5k as a starting point, find a plan that works for you and build from there.

Workout videos may be a bit challenging right now, but as long as the difficulty doesn't get you down there's no reason not to try them out. Understand that you may have to modify a lot and that you might not be able to do everything yet, but as you work at it things will become easier.

Good luck to you!
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

All my love, S x

Morning Shelley!! Welcome and congrats and taking this step towards a healthier you! MFP is an AWESOME support site, I have met so many fantastic new friends on here!

I weigh in once a week, usually on Friday mornings (EEK! That's today! lol) and first thing in the morning... before I have anything to eat or drink and after I use the bathroom (Every little thing counts right?? haha Oh, and I also weigh in... ummm... naked!)

I started this journey with just walking each night for just a half hour then in the fall started going to the gym and now do 90 mins on the elliptical or AMT, 30 day shred (LOVE IT! It hurts... but after about 4 days it gets better) strength train.

Over the holidays I did slack off with diet and exercise (boo... gained almost 10 lbs since Nov.) and am trying to get back into routine now that the kids are in school.

Good luck!
  • ottawagirl613
    ottawagirl613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!

As far as your questions go:

I weigh myself every morning in my birthday suit but only enter the weight on MFP once a week. I find checking in daily keeps me on track and the little ups and downs dont bother me, they just motivate me. When I'm down it's a boost to keep going in the right direction. When I'm up it's motivation to be especially diligent that day. Only time I avoid weighing is that TOM. And I mean I avoid it like the plague.

I always weigh in in the morning. At night I find my weight will vary too much depending on what I ate and/or what time I ate it. Even drinking a glass of water before bed will throw me off.

I definitely wouldn't rule out the 30DS, but I would build up to it. I've been doing it three weeks now and it's still kicking my butt! It's not just the cardio though it's the strength training (if you're not used to that either). You are young enough that you should be able to push yourself with something like the 30DS when you feel you are able to. And while there is a lot of jumping around involved, jogging isn't really any better on your knees. Just remember if you do eventually get there DON'T QUIT! The more consistently you do it the less it hurts and the less exhausted you will be. Let me tell you I feel a difference on the rare occasion when I've had to skip a day.

Good luck!
  • Jnine25
    Jnine25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i weigh in the morning at the same time with the same amount of clothes on. The first day I gained so don't be discouraged if you are weighing every day. The next day I was down 1.2 pounds. I figure if at the end of the week I've lost my goal of 2 pounds, then I've done what I'm supposed to. Good luck with your weight loss and please add me as your friend. I would add you but I'm new to this site and haven't figured out how to add friends yet. Have a great weekend!

JJ
  • shelleydavies1991
    Options
    Thank you so much Ladies and Gents!!

Yes, DarlingLC I did two sets.. with about two hours in between.. not straight after one another!!
    It pretty much killed me, but I did feel better after I had done them!
    I haven't done any today, but I am going to log off here shortly and do a ten minute jog!
    Well done on your weight loss - FANTASTIC!!

Blink1021, I'm not sure if I am up to the 30DS yet!! But thanks for your advice about the knees!! Maybe a knee support might be worth wearing when doing it!
    I don't want to be a fit nurse with dodgy knees!! That's all I'd need! Hehe!! Well done on your weight loss.. and thank you for your advice!

Rtalencar, thanks for the advice! I will google that this afternoon! Thank you for your support too, it means a lot!

Kimberly702, well missy..today is your day! You best get weighing!! Hope you have lost some weight! :)
    Yes, I was wondering what to weigh in! I've just done it in bra and knicks as they hardly weigh anything! Unless I've got my Bridgets on! Wow! That's a lot of exercising! Well done!! And thanks for your support!!

S, x
  • shelleydavies1991
    Options
    Ottawagirl613, Well I will defo get the DVD and when I feel like I'm ready I shall give it a good go!
    Well done you!! I'm glad you're sticking to it! And I will not QUIT! Not now I'm on here with all this support.
    I think if I did it by myself, it's very easy to lapse and go back to old ways!
    But on here it seems like it will be different!!
    Thanks for your support and advice!

JJ, I have added you!

S, x
  • Misty_Cathey
    Misty_Cathey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just joined here and started my weight loss journey so I have no advice but wanted to wish you luck with everything!!
  • krsnjas1022
    krsnjas1022 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with the first person that answered your questions...almost verbatim ;) Good Luck!
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome,
    I only weigh myself once a week, first thing in the morning - Naked! lol.
    Good luck feel free to add me xx