MILITARY WIFE, NEW TO CALORIE COUNTING!

Options
:tongue: Hello peeps, my name is Angelica and I am new to the whole calorie countiing/diary process. I am very active and love to jog and workout but hate counting calories, but I realized it is a big part of my progress. I am excited to start and want to get to know some of youz...hit me up and we can get to know each other.:tongue:

Replies

• dianarama
    dianarama Posts: 6
    Options
    One thing that is nice about calorie counting is that after you do it for a while, you learn to judge for yourself how many calories something has. (It only took me about a month to figure out how many calories my favorite foods have). Another thing that is nice about calorie counting programs like MyFitnessPal, is that you have access to a huge database filled with calorie information for you. This way, you don't have to write down the nutritional info for every little thing you eat. You can just remember what you ate, look it up here at the end of the day, and add it to your meals! Welcome to MFP!
  • wattsam1
    wattsam1 Posts: 95
    Options
    :smile: I notice the longer I do it I can judge when I've consumed enough calories for a meal or even if I have enough calories for the day...something that I used to ignore in my heavy days! Welcome and good luck!
  • MissVitaVonCherry
    MissVitaVonCherry Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    welcome. I am a military wife as well!
  • angguad0406
    angguad0406 Posts: 11
    Options
    Getting of the subject...love the background! Thanks for all the information and the greeting, I am excited about the process and look foward to the journey. Another thing, you are so right I love the way it counts the calories for you!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing the diary did for me was make me realize just where all the extra calories were coming from. Once I got used to it I found that I could adjust things and stay within my budget and be healthy and not be hungry.

Example - Dinner before:
    8 oz pork chop, Shake-N-baked,
    Big helping of Mac&Cheese,
    Some green beans,
    3 Dinner rolls w/tons o' butter
    Sweet tea
    Total of 1000 or 1200 calories.

Dinner now:
    6oz pork loin, braized in a li'l EVOO with some green peppers & onions & garlic
    Little taste of the Mac&Cheese
    Big generous helping of the green beans
    Slice of wheat bread - toasted + a dab of butter
    Splenda tea
    Total of 400 to 500 calories.

And that's just as yummy a dinner, probably tastier if you get fresh greenbeans :smile:

Before I started cal-counting I really didn't realize how much I was eating or how bad it was - and I certainly didn't know about all the better alternatives. Look, listen and learn and you'll find out all kinds'a good stuff here.

Welcome aboard!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. I think you will love this site. I do. This site is so supportive, helpful, motivational, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: