Shirataki Noodles

Options
2»

Replies

• scarlettd12
    scarlettd12 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I thought I wasn't preparing them right, but apparently they just suck! haha I guess I won't be attempting them again. Thanks for everyone's input!
  • vox23
    vox23 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    i hated them.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    The people saying they taste great obviously eat some nasty ****. Gingersnaps taste great. These noodles are serviceable.
    LOL! I feel the same way when people rave about "food" that tastes/feels disgusting. I'm like, "No, the homemade from scratch brownies that I'm currently double-fisting taste great."

OMFG HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I like these noodles and use them often, but I also make sure I purchase a brand that I get consistently from a local asian market (though the name escapes me at the moment). As others, I make sure I rinse them well and I rinse in warm water, then microwave and dry exceedingly well. I start the noodle rinsing & drying process before I start cooking anything else and let them sit in a collander in the sink that is filled with paper towels. Then I get a new set of paper towels and squeeze them! The texture is something that one has to get used to. It's not the mushy processed flour feel of regular noodles. I'm okay with that. It reminds me of spaghetti squash a bit. Tougher to chew, but for the lower calories, it's totally worth it in my book. I also make sure I use scissors and cut my noodles into smaller pieces so I feel more accomplished while chewing... i.e. I chew a bit less that way.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I don't consider those food. Then again, I don't consider most of the processed crap Hungry Girl pushes as food, either, so I might not be a good info source.

they are made from yams. ya know, sweet potatoes.............uh food!

i found they work best prepared in asian dishes. i dont eat them often but w/ the packs i bought before, i tried italian, indian, and asian.

No they are a processed food product. Like all noodles. They are made from yams but don't look like yams. They are processed.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with the texture. I suggest you get the angel hair pasta size. The larger the noodle size the more rubbery they feel to my teeth. IF you can get past the texture and remind yourself of the actual real nutritional value and nearly nothing for calories -- these do really well with sauces. One of my favorite meals is Shirataki Noodles with pasta sauce and Morning Star Chix patty (made like chicken parm). You may also consider using the noodles with something like broccholi slaw...because that has a crunchier texture...if you combine the two into a stir fry the combination of textures might be enough to help you forget it's a little rubbery.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    i like them, especially the house foods tofu ones, 40 cals a package

Yes! I buy this brand. I rinse them under very hot water for about 1 minute. Then I shake them dry and toss them in with my stir fry. They taste just fine to me. Like most tofu, they taste like whatever you put them in. I don't mind them at all.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I don't consider those food. Then again, I don't consider most of the processed crap Hungry Girl pushes as food, either, so I might not be a good info source.

Well I'll start by saying the konjac yam is nothing like a sweet potato. And these are made of water and glucomannan. Glucomannan is a soluble fiber that can be derived from the konjac yam, and is also derived from wood pulp from pine trees. It's a completely processed food item.

Answer this, even if they were made from sweet potatoes, sweet potatoes have calories, so where did the calories go, since these supposedly have none? They can't just disappear.
  • DizsJourney
    DizsJourney Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I really like the shirataki noodles. they don't taste like pasta, so if you go in expecting that, you will automatically be disappointed. Like others have said, the smaller the size of the noodle, the better the texture. I also go to an Asian Supermarket to get my noodles. I like them much better than the miracle type noodles. While i will occasionally eat these as regular spaghetti noodles, most times I eat them in a stir fry. the most important thing to remember is that like tofu, they take on the taste of what you cook them with. i rinse them a couple times (nothing major) and i'll throw them in a really hot pan for a minute or two, stirring them around. I add sesame oil and cook for a couple more minutes. This is my standard way to prepare the noodles. then i'll add what ever meat & veggies im in the mood for, season and stir fry. the last recommendation i would give is not to give up on them after the first taste. they may not work for everyone, but like i said, i really like them.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options

i found they work best prepared in asian dishes. i dont eat them often but w/ the packs i bought before, i tried italian, indian, and asian.
    Side note: Yams and sweet potatoes are not the same thing.
  • bsalazar24
    Options
    I just made a Asian recipe (which I got off my fitness pal) and used Shirataki noodles, but the Tofu based noodle which were OUTSTANDING! You must and I mean must rinse and dry them, then dry fry for about 5 mins using non stick spray, then just add them to your sauce. I bought Yam style but haven't cooked them and not sure I will like them from reading the reviews on the Yam based noodles. Good luck and give them another try, but get the TOFU style.