whats the first thing you did after your divorce???

Options

Replies

• gini2407
    gini2407 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My friend was actually having a bachelorette party and decided to include me in that. She wore the "Bachelorette" sash and I had on the "Divorced" one. Went out to a piano bar with a bunch of friends, got tons of free drinks and took loads of pictures. It still hurt, but that night I realized how many other amazing people I had in my life for support. Whatever you decide to do, make it a fun and happy time! :drinker:
  • gini2407
    gini2407 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i went to my ex-husbands divorce party!
    i walked in the bar, watched his parents literally fall off their bar stools when i walked in. i stayed, had a few free drinks on him, then i left.
    ~what? i was invited! the invite was posted open to everyone.....lol

THAT is awesome!! LOL :laugh:
  • sbear867
    sbear867 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I filed in April and wasn't final till September, but I still had little victories through out the summer. I got my hair done, I treated myself to a Personal Trainer 5 times a month, I bought new running shoes and I started getting healthy again. I lost 160lbs (of husband) and I felt fantastic. I still do. The day I finalized I looked smoking hot in a fitted grey cow-neck 3/4sleeve dress with thin black belt that came just under the bust and nude 3in heels. I never dress like that (work in the medical field) but I felt amazing. I turned heads at the courthouse. And even though there was a bitter sweet edge to the day, I still took my parents and daughter to dinner and talked about everything in life BUT him. It was wonderful. Good Luck!!! Took me 2 years to file, it was long over due.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Went back to school. Dated. Learned to swing dance.

I did cry when it was final. I had to go to court, and I was the only one there. Just me, the judge, and the clerk. I was cut free at 1pm, October 21, 1997.

I've been married to my best friend since May 99. :happy:
  • kristimartiny
    Options
    Went to Vegas and later that year got a convertible...:)
  • kaf330
    kaf330 Posts: 61
    Options
    It was a relief for me that it was over. My ex was abusive and very controlling, down to my hair and clothes etc. He hated blonde hair and short hair - mine was down to my hips because that's how he liked it. So I went to the hairdresser, and went blond and cut half it off! :) Felt great.

my ex insisted i have blonde hair and long nails. so i went to hairdresser and said find the roots and color it that color and removed the fake nails.
  • twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I threw a HUGE damn party! My friends and I all went out for drinks, I had a sash that said 'Just Divorced' - it was awesome! He asked for the divorce on the 5 yr anniversary of us being together, and I filed on our 4 yr wedding anniversary! It took 12 days shy of one year from the time he asked for the divorce for it to be finalized....because I told my attorney in August, that come year end I'd either be divorced or widowed! It was final less than 30 days later! lol
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I met a college boy who was (as my mother says) young, dumb and full of.....
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I did my ex-bartender from a club I used to go to. (Ironically enough, it was the club where the ex and I met.) :laugh:
    I hadn't been touched since I was 3 months pregnant and at the time, baby boy was 13 months old...I needed some!!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    All of this really depends on if you actually wanted the divorce, and who started it.

If you were on the receiving end of it, being shocked, and not wanting it, you have my condolences...

But, if YOU were the one who wanted it, then it really is a time to celebrate the start of your new life! First thing I'm going to do is ... well, dont know the actual FIRST thing, but I'll be happy that chapter of my life is over, and in the past, and can finally relax and enjoy my new life!
  • kk0223
    kk0223 Posts: 179
    Options
    it is definately going to be a day for me to celebrate...he has been ugly and abusive to me for many of these 19 years and i was told daily that i would and could not make it without him...and you know what? i am making it, so i will celebrate, thank you!!!

Wow, divorce after 19 years? That's terrible in ways but if he was abusive, etc then it's best. I'm glad you got out! I always see girls too "afraid" to leave cause he might hurt them or something.

I always say if a man ever hit me I'd be gone just like that. But, I haven't been in that situation. Hope I never am.

I thnk you should celebrate in your own way. Even if it's going shopping or something just to make yourself feel better and help yourself know you can do it without a man.

Some women just have to have a man and I think that's silly. Don't get me wrong. I love the attention and affection but I know I can be happy without one.

Good luck :)
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I cut my hair. He always would get pissy if I talked about cutting my hair and loved it long. It was very long when we split up and I cut it to my shoulders and sent him a picture haha.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The ex and I went out and had a couple beers after our final hearing and had a great time... Probably not going to work for you, but it did for me :bigsmile:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I celebrated by living my life in just the way I wanted it. I moved downtown in to a teensy apartment right in the heart of the city, I started homebrewing (something my ex thought was too involved and messy), I went out with friends, I practiced playing the trumpet whenever I wanted (as long as it wasn't during sleeping hours.. I did live in an apartment!).. and well, I just started living well.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I celebrated by living my life in just the way I wanted it. I moved downtown in to a teensy apartment right in the heart of the city, I started homebrewing (something my ex thought was too involved and messy), I went out with friends, I practiced playing the trumpet whenever I wanted (as long as it wasn't during sleeping hours.. I did live in an apartment!).. and well, I just started living well.

He wouldn't let you brew b/c it was too messy? WTH, did he have a vagina??
  • krista010105
    krista010105 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I celebrated with a birthday party. i got divorced december 14th 2005 the same day as my grandpas birthday.

then after that i just went on about my life and went to the army office that day as i was in the process of being enlisted into the army.
  • krista010105
    krista010105 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I cut my hair. He always would get pissy if I talked about cutting my hair and loved it long. It was very long when we split up and I cut it to my shoulders and sent him a picture haha.

awesome!!! my hubby hates my hair short too
  • chicklidell
    Options
    Me and my girlfriend went on a Caribbean singles cruise...had the best time ever!
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Hi

It was a long time ago but I pawned my engagement ring and paid for my waist length hair to be bobbed and new clothes and a few nights out to 'celebrate' getting rid of the cheating so-and so!!!

martyxx
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I had an EPIC divorce party that everyone (except me) remembers. *laugh* Fortunately there was video. I even burned a copy of my marriage license/record on the bar!!