WHAT IS A CUP OF WATER TO YOU?

Options
2»

Replies

• tseecka
    tseecka Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I aim for 2 litres of water a day, on the assumption that a cup is 250 mL. It's working well for me, as I have a 1 L water bottle that I refill once a day from the cooler in the office. :)
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    8 fluid oz = a cup to me. :happy:
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I count by how many ounces I drink. I drink bottled water that's 20 oz so for each 2 bottles, I've had 5 cups of water.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I drink lots lots of water every say but never bother with how much...
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I have a 600mL cup on my desk that I count as two. Yes it's more but meh. I drink four of those a day, sometimes six. Makes me feel good.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I use a big *kitten* cup, and constantly refill it throughout the day. And since I know it's more than 8 oz., I mark it for two cups per drink.
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I log it every 8 oz I drink...during the day I drink from a large glass mason jar which has markers for 8oz, 16oz, etc. I like being very accurate.
  • Kslice39
    Kslice39 Posts: 146
    Options
    I log by oz. Every 8oz is one cup of water, water bottle is 16.9 oz then its 2 cups :)
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Drinking 8 x 32oz a day is excessive (unless you are doing something to sweat that much out).
    You can actually drink so much water as to dilute your blood. Bad things happen from there!
    2 of those a day would be plenty.
  • jodieb3
    jodieb3 Posts: 19
    Options
    For you BRITS! 1 Cup is half a Pint (of fluid)!!! :)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I have been logging wrong I've been drinking a little too much I think, thanks for taking the time to reply, I'll have to cut down before I get sick!!

Drink to your thirst. It's not likely you'll get sick from drinking too much water unless you massively over hydrate. 8 cups is the recommendation based on an average weight person, engaged in average activity. If you weigh more than average, if you're physically pretty active, you need more than that.

I have a cup of something fluid-ish pretty much once an hour. A little less when I'm busy and running about, but by and large, I find that keeps me comfortably hydrated.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It'll take a lot to actually get sick from it, provided you don't flush out too many electrolytes. Most people on here drink too much as they forget/don't count the water they get from tea/coffee/juice/milk/fruit/veg anyway. It takes a LOT to actually be too much, but it will give you additional trips to the toilet, which can get annoying!

It also matters how fast you drink it. like if you realize at 8pm that you only had 2 cups and you sit there and guzzle 6 cups in 10-15 mins that could cause problems.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    I go by the ounces. 8 ounces is a cup. I drink from 16oz water bottles so every time I polish one off I record it as 2 cups of water drank.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Three trips to the bathroom! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I have been logging wrong I've been drinking a little too much I think, thanks for taking the time to reply, I'll have to cut down before I get sick!!

FYI - it takes a LOT of excess water in a short period of time to make you sick. Unles you're downing a gallon of water in one sitting, the worst that will probably happen is you having to use the bathroom a lot.

Many people regularly drink upwards of 12-16 cups a day - way over the recommended minimum of 8 cups, and they are perfectly fine.