Thanks TamTastic! Eat more, Weigh less!

Options
So, I read a post by TamTastic and she said that she always ate around 1400 cals (and at least half her exercise calories, if I understood correctly).

Well I thought that was a splendid idea because it always seemed like I was so hungry on non-workout days. So this week, I changed my cals from 1200 to 1400 and .....

I LOST 5 LBS this week!!!!!!!!!!

Now I know that some of it is water weight...but still, that was fantastic!!!

I like the idea of eating more and weighing less.

So THANKS TAM and EVERYONE ELSE AT MFP for your excellent advice and your examples!!!

Replies

• hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Woot, glad you took the plunge. I bet you're feeling better too :flowerforyou:.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Way to go, you are doing awesome :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Woo!! So happy to heart it!!!!! :flowerforyou: Congrats!!!

I love it when people realize they don't have to be hungry to get the weight off. Fueling your body with the proper amount (enough but not too much) is the way to go! :wink:

:heart:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Thanks! And that's the great thing about it....you can lose weight and not ever be hungry either!!! now cravings are another story....

LOL
  • holpak
    holpak Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You go girl... that's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bigsmile:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Thanks! And that's the great thing about it....you can lose weight and not ever be hungry either!!! now cravings are another story....

LOL
    Oh! Tell me about it girl! I'm pregnant!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • p_carter69
    p_carter69 Posts: 6
    Options
    How do you eat more and weigh less? I'm on a 1650 calorie diet and i hardly ever consume all of that. Do i need to reduce my calorie intake or always try to eat my limit? I'm confused....
  • annaliza
    Options
    p_carter,

I was on a 1200 calorie plan set up by MFP because I have about 60lbs to lose. I increased my MFP plan to 1400 by changing my goals because I always seemed to be hungry and others have used it and it worked. I basically indicated that I was lightly active (rather than sedentary) and I decreased my loss per week to 1 lb a week. And of course I exercised (that's a must) (I eat my exercise calories, too).

1650 is a pretty good amount to eat. But more importantly is the kind of foods that you are eating. I've been trying to "eat clean" meaning that I don't eat a lot of processed food, fast food, etc. I eat mostly fruits and vegetables, whole grains, etc which fill me up. And I drink my water :drinker:

You will have to figure out what is right for you because everyone is different. It was a hard decision for me since I was scared, and like ghanie said....I took the plunge and it paid off.

I'm no expert and there are a lot of people on this forum who could give you better answers. All I know is what is working for me.

Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    You will have to figure out what is right for you because everyone is different. It was a hard decision for me since I was scared, and like ghanie said....I took the plunge and it paid off.

When I took my plunge, I went from eating 1450 max to 1800 minimum. Talk about scared, I felt like I was daring myself to gain weight! Alas, the pounds and inches have been melting away since.
    How do you eat more and weigh less? I'm on a 1650 calorie diet and i hardly ever consume all of that. Do i need to reduce my calorie intake or always try to eat my limit? I'm confused....

If you're losing weight ok, don't worry about it too much. A 1650 baseline gives you a pretty large margin of error. If you'd like to try to hit your goal without stuffing yourself, you can try adding or swapping for more calorie dense foods like cottage cheese, fish, peanut butter, protein shakes, etc.
  • annaliza
    Options

When I took my plunge, I went from eating 1450 max to 1800 minimum. Talk about scared, I felt like I was daring myself to gain weight! Alas, the pounds and inches have been melting away since.

[

WOWEE! You are amazing!! That's a huge leap. Tell me your secret please! How do you eat so much and have the pounds melt away? Do you exercise most of them?
  • hiddensecant
    Options

[

WOWEE! You are amazing!! That's a huge leap. Tell me your secret please! How do you eat so much and have the pounds melt away? Do you exercise most of them?

I burn off anywhere between 400 to 600 monday through saturday with P90X videos. It's 3 days of heavy strength training, 2 days of heavy cardio, 1 day of intense yoga ... and on the 7th day we can either stretch or rest. Their meal plan requires 1800 per day so I adjusted my net to 1400 in order to eat 1800 minimum.

So I have around 1850-2000 on workout days and on Sundays I might go under a little (around 1700) because I found that if I cut it too much on rest day I was more likely to teeter upward by Monday.

To get the extra calories, I cheat! Basically, I'll have chocolate milk after workouts and a protein shake within 30 minutes of working out as a snack. If I'm feeling extra hungry that day I'll swap out some protein powder with real food. And on Sundays, I just do without the chocolate milk.

I've never lost 5 pounds in a week before, hehe. It's more of an inches program than a pounds program. But they are coming off.
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Chocolate milk and pb&j's are two of my favorite ways to get some calories in (plus good protein)...especially on workout days.

I ate around 1900 on workout days when in lose mode....and I would often enjoy a nice plate of pasta those days. AHH! Eating well and losing weight! What a concept!!:wink:

Seriously though...yes it's important to cut calories to lose weight but it's just as important to make sure you were giving your body ENOUGH fuel as well. Even 200 cals can make all the difference in that...AND in how you feel at the end of the day.
  • p_carter69
    Options
    I feel as though i'm stuck on my current weight. Also, i'm starting to feel a little more hungrier than i once was, so do i need to increase my calories at this point? I was doing good, i wasn't hungry and i was working out and losing weight. Now i still work out and eating like i have been but i don't think it's working right now. Help!!:smile:
  • staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk and pb&j's are two of my favorite ways to get some calories in (plus good protein)...especially on workout days.

I ate around 1900 on workout days when in lose mode....and I would often enjoy a nice plate of pasta those days. AHH! Eating well and losing weight! What a concept!!:wink:

Seriously though...yes it's important to cut calories to lose weight but it's just as important to make sure you were giving your body ENOUGH fuel as well. Even 200 cals can make all the difference in that...AND in how you feel at the end of the day.

I have a question for you. I'm eating around 1200 calories, but I up that when I workout, and if I go over 1200, I'm not too worried about it. I'm going to weigh-in tomorrow, so I'm not sure how I've done with that this week. The thing is that I'm eating healthy and I'm usually feeling satisfied. On the days where I'm hungrier for some reason, I eat something healthy. I'm never depriving myself. So I'm wondering what you think about it. Should I stay at this level, or would you suggest eating more calories? I know every body is different and that you don't really know how I operate, but I'm just wondering what your thoughts are.

Also, changing subjects, have you checked out any pregnancy forums at all? I had my last baby in June and I still frequent the forums. The one that I go to is www.whattoexpect.com, but I know that there are others out there. I've made friends and have found great support there!
  • staclo
    Options
    WTG!! :happy:
  • annaliza
    Options
    ghanie, I've heard so many good things about P90X and I've always thought that it was a little too pricey for me....but I'm beggining to think that the investment might be well worth it. Of course my husband's going to have a fit when I have to buy yet another weightloss/get fit journey item LOL

I did chocolate milk yesterday after my run (based on your suggestions...I've been reading about your chocolate milk recovery articles for awhile now, just haven't had the chance to try it since I kept forgetting to buy chocolate milk lol). Boy it sure was a treat!!!

TamTastic, the 200 cals did make a big difference. I've had a lot more energy this week and I seem to have that little extra gumption in my workouts, so the extra calories were a good choice. For me right now, almost all foods taste great since I quit smoking. Mmmnn, pasta! And I can't remember the last time I had a PB&J - mmmnnn.

p_carter69, can you give us more information and hopefully one of the experts will be able to assess it for you (I'm still new to this too and am learning like you)? Can you post what you eat on an average day, how you work out (what exercises), age, weight, height so that we can get a better understanding of what you are doing (this is what I've seen Banks ask people many times when he's looking at helping someone).

Also, you might want to read some of the newbie posts, such as this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

I found it most helpful when trying to make my decisions on my eating and workout habits. I hope you find the answers to the questions you are looking for :flowerforyou:
  • p_carter69
    Options
    Annaliza,

In the morning i drink a slim fast optima, snack in the morning is usually a banana and sugar free instant pudding, for lunch i eat a lean pocket, afternoon snack is sugar free jello, then for dinner i usually eat something baked or grilled with a few fries or baked potato and of course some type of bread, but i usually don't eat a large portion of any of this. My workout consist of 50min treadmill, 20 elliptical, some strength exercises such as back extension, leg press, hip abduction, leg lifts, torso rotation. I try to go to the gym at least 4-5 times a week. Does this sound like a good workout or do i need to do something different? I have lost 19 lbs. in about 6weeks.
  • staclo
    Options
    Annaliza,

In the morning i drink a slim fast optima, snack in the morning is usually a banana and sugar free instant pudding, for lunch i eat a lean pocket, afternoon snack is sugar free jello, then for dinner i usually eat something baked or grilled with a few fries or baked potato and of course some type of bread, but i usually don't eat a large portion of any of this. My workout consist of 50min treadmill, 20 elliptical, some strength exercises such as back extension, leg press, hip abduction, leg lifts, torso rotation. I try to go to the gym at least 4-5 times a week. Does this sound like a good workout or do i need to do something different? I have lost 19 lbs. in about 6weeks.

I can't speak to the slim fast, b/c I don't know much about it, but I wanted to comment about your other choices.

In the morning, if you want to have a banana (which is higher in carbs), combine it with some natural peanut butter (protein/fat). Nutritionally, you aren't doing much for your body with the pudding, and eating carbs alone won't help either.

Lunch: I personally try to stay away from anything processed or prepackaged, frozen foods. They might help you stay in your calorie range, but again, they aren't nearly as healthy as something else (I love whole wheat wraps, personally).

Afternoon snack...again, there isn't much that is good for you in jello, even sugar-free. Try eating cottage cheese, or some other healthy snack.

For dinner, the grilled meat is probably ok, but I would have sides like steamed veggies or salad instead of potatoes and fries. I also don't hardly ever eat bread.

How do you do with your carb intake every day? Do you stay below the allowance? Also, how is your protein? Try to eat as much of a balanced diet as possible. Remember, this is a lifestyle change, not a temporary way to lose a few pounds.

The gym routine sounds great!
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have read all of your posts. I agree that we need to fuel for energy. But I have such a hard time keeping it in caloric range when I start increasing carbs. By dinner time I am close to out of control.

I think I should go back to eating an ounce of oatmeal, sugar free syrup, cooked with a small apple before exercising. That seems to work for me.

(I have to watch my carbs because of diabetes. Oatmeal seems to work for me and chilled it kinda tastes like apple pie. I HAVE A GREAT IMAGINATION! HA.
  • p_carter69
    Options
    As far as the carbs go, i haven't been counting those. The protein count i think is probably ok, but as far as a number i really don't know. I know eating fries and the baked potato probably isn't the way to go, but as far as salads, can't stand them, and steamed veggies, don't like them either:noway: . I am a very picky eater. I have tried several different diets and they wouldn't work for that reason. I also eat some other fruit and veggies. I know processed food isn't the way to go, but i only have 30 min for lunch and we have to be as quick as possible. I also drink plenty water all day. :drinker: Thanks for the info and i'll try the whole wheat wraps. I'll try to change my diet up some and see if that will help out any. You guys are great!!!:bigsmile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!