struggling with being more attractive

Options

Replies

• CRMrunner
    CRMrunner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I think that hardest thing to learn is how to be confident without seeming arrogant. When we deal with self-image issues, we don't always adjust on the inside when we change on the outside. Most of us form opinions of ourselves when we are younger by the way people treat us. When we change our environment or our appearance, we can expect a change in how we are perceived.

Don't be afraid to smile, look someone in the eyes, and tell them that you prefer not to listen to that kind of talk. If they have any sense, they will adjust their tone. They probably just don't want to seem like they lack confidence, so they overdo it.
  • unicornassassin
    unicornassassin Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    For starters congratulations on the loss quite impressive if I do say so myself. Second of all, looking at this from the other side I'd say I'm dealing with somewhat the same thing (but not exactly haha) I mean that I find myself somewhat nervous when it comes to approaching girls because I'm so used to being that chubby/fat guy that I just feel like I'd instantly get shot down. Whether or not this is the case is beyond me but just know that it plays out on both ends. I've definitely felt as if this has held me back quite a bit but on the same token I'm not the kind of guy to just walk up to a random girl and strike up a conversation. I don't ever want to be that creeper that girls so often talk about with their friends, just not my style.

You look very uncreepy in your picture. Honestly, and awful as it sounds, if you are attractive, you pretty much won't be a creeper, we girls only don't like attention from people we don't want attention from! If you are pushing yourself on someone who is clearly not interested, that's when it becomes creepy.

I really back off from people, male and female because I am terrible at judging when I am being over friendly or not, and am terrified of being seen as a pain. So I tend to keep everyone at arms length to be on the safe side, which is a sad way to live.

Oh, that is sad :( I hope you find some comfortable ways to reach out to people.
  • Take a self defense class! That way when you're rockin' that hot new bod and a guy steps into your comfort zone, you know exactly what to do to protect yourself. They're very empowering!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Apparently men find women who have lost weight more attractive than those who have always been thinner.

I don't know. I don't get hit on, but I admit when I started losing weight I worried about the same thing. Not that I think I am attractive, but I used to get hit on a lot when I was in my 20s, and it seems to me that men have got more aggressive in their flirting in the last decade. Maybe I just notice it more now I have children to look out for.

I'm not sure what you mean by the men finding women who have lost weight more attractive than those who have always been thinner thing... I don't think that's true.... hmm.

All I'm saying is, being looked at as an attractive woman is a new experience for me, and it's uncomfortable, and I'm trying to find ways to get used to it. I'm not trying to say that I think I'm hot stuff,. But losing 73 pounds is going to make a person hotTER stuff than they used to be.

It was in a New Scientist my husband had kicking around about a year ago, but I can't find a link to it on their website.
  • unicornassassin
    Options
    Thanks everyone so much for your kindness and support! Reading all these posts has really brightened my day. :flowerforyou:
  • stephevers1227
    stephevers1227 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    For starters congratulations on the loss quite impressive if I do say so myself. Second of all, looking at this from the other side I'd say I'm dealing with somewhat the same thing (but not exactly haha) I mean that I find myself somewhat nervous when it comes to approaching girls because I'm so used to being that chubby/fat guy that I just feel like I'd instantly get shot down. Whether or not this is the case is beyond me but just know that it plays out on both ends. I've definitely felt as if this has held me back quite a bit but on the same token I'm not the kind of guy to just walk up to a random girl and strike up a conversation. I don't ever want to be that creeper that girls so often talk about with their friends, just not my style.

You seem very uncreeperly to me, :smile:

Yeah, I think it is definitely the same issue, just different side. I can identify with what you're saying- you still think of yourself as that fat dude.

When I told a friend of mine who I've recently met that I used to be really overweight, she said "I would have never guessed you used to be fat." And I was kind of confused because I think I'm still fat, but I guess not really? What? And this REALLY insanely hot guy is interested in me and I think we're going out for coffee this weekend, and part of me is suspicious and wonders what the heck is wrong with him if he wants to go out with me... but then I realize it's because I'm an awesome person and I have a pretty awesome body now.

It's weirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd.

It seems like you haven't "emotionally" caught up with your weight loss. I had a friend that lost over 100 lbs and said she was frustrated because she still walked like a fat girl even though she wasn't fat. You've got to find a way to wrap your brain around the hot creature that you are...and you are deserving of a hot guy...because you are hot yourself. ;)
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    I remember one time this guy came up to me and than proceeded to grab my *kitten*.

Uh creepy and violating.

Just set up your boundaries. If a guy comes on too strong just learn how to use your words. (It was hard for me to at first because I was kinda shy...now i am sarcastic)

Love your new body and speak up if someone is doing something you dont like :)
  • unicornassassin
    Options
    Apparently men find women who have lost weight more attractive than those who have always been thinner.

I don't know. I don't get hit on, but I admit when I started losing weight I worried about the same thing. Not that I think I am attractive, but I used to get hit on a lot when I was in my 20s, and it seems to me that men have got more aggressive in their flirting in the last decade. Maybe I just notice it more now I have children to look out for.

I'm not sure what you mean by the men finding women who have lost weight more attractive than those who have always been thinner thing... I don't think that's true.... hmm.

All I'm saying is, being looked at as an attractive woman is a new experience for me, and it's uncomfortable, and I'm trying to find ways to get used to it. I'm not trying to say that I think I'm hot stuff,. But losing 73 pounds is going to make a person hotTER stuff than they used to be.

It was in a New Scientist my husband had kicking around about a year ago, but I can't find a link to it on their website.

What? Dang... well that's just crazy. Good to know!

I have to eat a little crow here and admit that I thought you were trying to make some kind of snarky remark, I didn't realize you meant it as fact.
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    Hahaha, I don't have a problem of women hitting on me - wish I did though :smile: Even the creepy one would be nice - at least it would somewhat boost my ego :smile: As long as the creepy ones dont invade your space and place their hands on you, take it as somewhat as a compliment that people are finding you attractive.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I've had stuff like this happen to me a lot throughout my life. I even got hit on at a liquor store, and one summer when I lived about four blocks from my college campus and walked there every day, I would get guys stopping and asking for my number ALL THE DAMN TIME. What was even creepier was when guys would circle the block, come back and ask for my number, and when I explained I was already seeing someone they were like THAT'S NOT BIG DEAL, HE DOESN'T NEED TO FIND OUT. That coupled with the fact that I lived in a sketchy area of the city... I understand. Recently, I got looked over so blatantly by a guy at WalMart this random man next to me looked and me and commented "Did you see that?" I get it. There are creepers.

If the guy is nice about just take it as a complement. If he's creepy about it, don't be afraid to put on your ***** face. Guys stopped asking for my number that summer I was walking to campus because I learned to walk with an air of "Do not talk to me." If a guy is approaching you creepily, again, don't be afraid to be stern and put on your ***** face if you need to. Or tell them your a lesbian. That's fun too.
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options
    Hahaha, I don't have a problem of women hitting on me - wish I did though :smile: Even the creepy one would be nice - at least it would somewhat boost my ego :smile: As long as the creepy ones dont invade your space and place their hands on you, take it as somewhat as a compliment that people are finding you attractive.

Haha! This is great!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options

I have to eat a little crow here and admit that I thought you were trying to make some kind of snarky remark, I didn't realize you meant it as fact.

Ha ha! See why I keep people at arms length!? I don't generally make snarky remarks without provocation. It really is true. Though sadly in the same article they claimed that women don't like other women who have lost weight. Probably for the same reason. Competition!
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Guys always hitting on me too... OW.. stop hitting on mEH!:wink:
  • jellyfishbones
    jellyfishbones Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Ha ha! See why I keep people at arms length!? I don't generally make snarky remarks without provocation. It really is true. Though sadly in the same article they claimed that women don't like other women who have lost weight. Probably for the same reason. Competition!

Haven't read the article but it makes sense to me. Women who have successfully lost weight have confidence that those who are naturally thin may not always have. Confidence in oneself and one's abilities is attractive.
  • CiciPorcayo
    CiciPorcayo Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I will say! If your gonna look good your gonna get creepers. People are weird more now then ever before... honestly choose the places you go out better. But honestly just stick up for your self and be like "BACK UP!!" or something I would have punched him but that is just me! Good luck!
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Yep it's normal. There are serious freaky creeps out there and some really awesome guys out there too. Take it with a grain of salt and dismiss the losers. It's just a reality that usually the ones who come out the gate first (so to speak) are the disgusting ones, or are trying to beat their friends to get to you. Smile, say "I don't think so" and walk away. I am not sure where you are meeting guys or getting noticed, but in a bar especially with alcohol in play, men often get a little pushy. Be proud of what you have accomplished with working on you.
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options
    Thanks everyone so much for your kindness and support! Reading all these posts has really brightened my day. :flowerforyou:

Congrats on your success! You will learn how to deal with the extra attention. Like other people have mentioned, do NOT feel bad about turning attention down. Especially if the guy oversteps his boundaries. There is nothing wrong with a creeper thinking you are a bit**. Let him bother someone else. Chances are, he's hitting on anything with boobs and a pulse. Save your energy for a guy who actually has something good to say rather than trying to get right in your pants. :smile:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Pretty please, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all, ok? I'm exposing some vulnerabilities here, so I'd appreciate it if everyone would try their best to be kind. Thank you.

I've lost 73 pounds total. 40 in the last year. Dudes are looking at me. It's fun and cool, for the obvious reasons. But I'm a little uneasy because it's never really happened before, and for some other reasons. I just had a really nasty experience with a guy hitting on me- he had terrible boundaries, and the way that he approached me was incredibly creepy and it really, really upset me. I'm worried that there is more of this in my future. I still have a lot to lose yet, so I'm worried that if this is what I'm experiencing already, it's going to just get nasty.

Has anyone else experienced these feelings, and what helped you to deal with it and feel more comfortable with your body?
    Welcome to the new world.
    Get used to it.

And remember this. We must go through the bad to get to the good.
  • vox23
    vox23 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't have this problem. No one ever hits on me.
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    IT WAS DEFINITELY WEIRD FOR ME AT FIRST WHEN I STARTED GETTING ATTENTION. I USED TO AVOID IT AND NOW AFTER SETTLING INTO MY BODY I JUST SAY THANK YOU, LAUGH AND WALK AWAY. I'M A BIG FAN OF THE "I AM IN A RELATIONSHIP" IF THE PERSON IS JUST PLAIN CREEPY. SMILE SAY THANK YOU AND GET THE HELL OUT. I'VE STOPPED GOING TO CLUBS BECAUSE MEN GT PRETTY GRABBY AND HONESTLY TOO PUSHY IN MY OPINION.
    I WORK IN A HOSPITAL AND WHEN I WAS A TRANSPORTER I GOT HIT ON A LOT. WE PUSH PATIENTS AND I'M NOT GOING TO LIE, MY *kitten* DID LOOK PRETTY AWESOME IN MY SCRUBS BUT IT GOT AWKWARD SOMETIMES. I WOULD HAVE MALE NURSES JOKE ABOUT NEEDING TO WALK BEHIND ME TO SEE HOW IT'S DONE. ONE CREEP SAID HE WISHED HE COULD "BE BEHIND ME ALL DAY" HEY PERVERT.... I'M PUSHING YOUR ICU PATIENT, STFU. EVEN HAD A TECH PULL MY HAIR AND BRUSH THEIR HAND ON MY *kitten* WHILE I WAS PUSHING A BED AND RUN OFF LAUGHING.
    IT SEEMS LIKE TODAYS GENERATION OF MEN WANT IT EASY AND QUICK. AND IF YOU GIVE A GUY YOUR NUMBER THEY TEXT YOU AND ASK FOR SEXY PICTURES. AT LEAST IT SAVES ME TIME FROM WEEDING OUT THE ONES WHO ARE SERIOUS RIGHT?
    IT WILL GET EASIER AND YOU WILL LEARN WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU IN THOSE SITUATIONS. BE MINDFUL OF HOW YOU DRESS AND HOW YOU PRESENT YOURSELF. HOPE THAT GUY LEAVES YOU ALONE NOW THAT YOU'VE EXPRESSED YOUR FEELINGS.