North/South Carolina

Options
2»

Replies

• kattydid65
    kattydid65 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I can't really comment on the school system but I absolutely love the Outer Banks in NC. I believe the school system is what you make of it. Everything has it's ups and downs. Like people say the grass is always greener...lol..
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I have been seriously contemplating making a move from New England to North/South Carolina. I don't know the area at all, so I am going to turn to you to give me some ideas where to start looking.

My criteria.....it has to be on the ocean! I am looking for a small town ( <30,000 population) with very good schools and where there are lots of things to do in the community.

Any information you can give me would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

As life-long New Englander (53 years), I am with you. We love all the beach towns south of Myrtle Beach to Charleston. I also love the Cap Hatteras area, but I am not sure that I could find work there.

I love the Ocean!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    *ahem* York County is excellent.
    but it's not near the shore. *sad face*

LOL...she could move somewhere between the two of us...although neither are at the shore. Wouldn't that be a party, though??

Haha! I need to be no less than 10 minutes from the beach at all times! Being in the same state or at least the same region means get togethers for sure!

My family and I visited Edisto Island near Charleston, and that area was lovely. However, that was in October...AFTER tourist season. I'm sure summer time is not quite that peaceful, and I don't know anything about the school systems down that way. I am sure cost of living is pretty steep down that way, also.

My mom lives in the Raleigh/Durham, NC area, and there is lots to do around there. However, it is more than an hour from the beach. I've visited the Outer Banks and Carolina Beach. Both areas are really pretty, but, again, you run into the problem of crowds during the summer months.
  • sullivann
    sullivann Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I live in Calabash, which is 5 miles from the beach. Right in between Myrtle Beach and Wilmington. I work in Myrtle too.

All I can say it's lovely around here. :)
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I currently live in Jacksonville NC, and the Cape Carteret area is nice, and the beaches are great. It's a costly area, there are a total of 4 military bases in the surrounding area, which jack up the price of living. Government jobs are plentiful though. It's about an hour and a half away from Wilmington, and around two and a half hours away from Raleigh.
  • lmvince
    lmvince Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I moved from Summerville, SC to Wilmington, DE a little over 2 years ago. However, I love the place so much, I still have my home there. I would recommend Summerville, SC. It's a suburb 30 miles from Charleston and several beaches. Lots to do in the area, and still driving distance from major cities like Atlanta or Charlotte. There are lots of beautiful homes (new construction or older) to choose from, and plenty of shopping

The school district is Dorchester District 2, the best in the state. There are a lot of SC schools listed on the worst 100 list, but there are so many more that aren't.

Visit the website at www.dorchestercounty.net and look at the video tourbook.
  • InStabilityKills
    Options
    I just moved to Wilmington, NC from New Jersey. it has it's pros and cons. I love the big city feel crossed with the country. Tons of things to do but there are a bit of cons. My sister moved to Myrtle Beach, SC 2 years ago and absolutely loves it. If I was you I'd focus more on South Carolina than North. North Carolina is lower pay wage but everything else (but rent) is more expensive. Our Gas tax is a killer! Being a Jersey Girl at heart I absolutely love it down here though!
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on your personality as to where you'll be best suited. I've spent time on a few parts of these coasts. I find Myrtle Beach heavily caters to tourism... partying, golfing and fun crowd. The Outer Banks is also all about tourism but there is more focus on family and a family environment. There are many areas throughout that are secluded/private/peaceful too. Morehead City is nice (what I saw of it) but surrounded my military - which, obviously, is a different feel. I, personally, am not a fan of Wilimington. To me, it felt run down and not terribly friendly... and that's from visiting regularly while my husband was stationed at Camp Lejeune. Charleston, SC was kinda nice when I was there. Plenty of art/culture/food/fun. These places are none alike so I suggest picking a few and visiting before you move, if you can.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    One word of caution, don't make comparisons between schools in different states. Different curriculums completely, at least for now.
    [/quote]

Thank you for making this statement. I am a teacher in SC, and often hear how SC schools don't measure up to other schools around the US. NOT TRUE!! First, all states give different end of the year assessments, so this makes comparing them difficult. Not only does each state create their own test, they also set their own standard for what is considered passing. SC has some of the highest standards in the nation. Therefore, the requirements for students to pass our test are higher than what other states require of their students. Two years ago, the SC state dept. lowered the standards a little b/c of the negativity surrounding our schools. But, it is still well above the standards for other states. Google and you will find a lot of information about this.

I live in Columbia, SC and teach in Richland County School District 2, one of the best districts in the state. And, I'm not just saying that :happy: But, we are in the middle of the state about 2 hours from the beach. Love Columbia!