alli?

Options
i have a friend who just started taking alli. what do you guys think about it? i dont know much about it. i have heard that it just helps you eat healthy. I'm skeptical though. what do you think?:huh:

Replies

• kleimola
    kleimola Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i have a friend who just started taking alli. what do you guys think about it? i dont know much about it. i have heard that it just helps you eat healthy. I'm skeptical though. what do you think?:huh:
    I have been using Alli since February and I have lost 28 pounds. I love it because it works int he digestive system as a fat blocker and doesn't affect the brain or the heart. It does force you to be honest with yourself. If you do not follow a low fat healthy diet you can have side effects. If you do have those effects, it is your own fault. The upside is if you know ahead of time that you are going someplace that does not serve healthy food you can skip the pill. Of course that is the exception not the rule, you can't pick and choose and expect it to work. You have to stick to that good for you diet. The program is really great but I still prefer to log all my info here rather than the Alli site. They have a lot of great tips and they have meal plans too. I create my own meal plans though as long as I stick to my limit. They also have good recipes.
  • lisapisa81
    lisapisa81 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

i tried it and i wouldn't say it "helps" you eat healthy, more like "scares you into" eating healthy. the side effects are real, and not pretty if you overdo it on fat. let's just you can't really be discrete about letting out a toot or two.

if you do the math, based on the recommendations by alli you're eating only 1200 calories a day or so if i remember correctly...and that's why you lose weight. if you need to be scared into eating right, then it may be a good thing to try. i'm trying to just use sheer willpower this time, and then i don't have to spend $40 a bottle on it either!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Wholely and completely unnecessary! You don't need it, it's a crutch, if you can lose weight with it, then you can lose weight without it! Why put a chemical in your body that changes your body chemistry when you can do the same job without it? Maybe it will take a little longer, but really, is this about health, or is it about speed? You're eventually going to have to stop taking it, then you'll need to adjust your eating habits again anyway, or just regain the fat you lose while taking it.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Well, eventually you are going to have to learn to eat right and exercise and alli may be FDA approved but so have many other diet products that end up having horrible health side effects and they are pulled off the market.........Phen fen being one of the biggest ever.

It has been awhile but I think the greatest thing ever said about alli and it's side effects was a woman that was using it and went to a work function and was eating her dinner and when she got up from the table a co-worker gave her a sweater and told her to tie it around her waist, when she asked why her co-worker told her that her that there was something big on her pants. Turned out she had some leakage while eating and didn't even feel it and it was the fat that she had eaten at this dinner running through her. She quit after that.

There is NO magic pill, there never will be. It may work now but when you stop where will you be. Pills are not the answer to all of our problems. YOu have to learn to eat and exercise if you want to battle this.....not to mention the money :noway:
  • kleimola
    Options
    Just to clarify, the amount of calories you are required to consume on Alli are calculated the same way they are on this site. Everyone is different so not everyone will have a 1200 calorie limit. What they do limit is the fat, no more than 15 grams per meals. Currently my goal caloric intake for the day is 1800.
  • altazin0907
    altazin0907 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Wholely and completely unnecessary! You don't need it, it's a crutch, if you can lose weight with it, then you can lose weight without it! Why put a chemical in your body that changes your body chemistry when you can do the same job without it? Maybe it will take a little longer, but really, is this about health, or is it about speed? You're eventually going to have to stop taking it, then you'll need to adjust your eating habits again anyway, or just regain the fat you lose while taking it.

Well said :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Options

I knew banks would have a short and sweet response! Well said :love:
  • kleimola
    Options

Obviously not everyone is as well informed on how Alli works. Some people NEED a crutch to help them get started. Everybody is different and Alli is not for everyone. It is nothing even close to Phen fen.
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    I started taking it, but quit. I didn't notice any big lose or that it helped in any way. I only had a side effect if I ate a fatty meal. didn't do that to often so it seemed to be a waste of money. Sometimes if I know I will be eating a fatty meal and will be at home the next couple of days, I'll take it just to do a "CLEANSE" of my system. for that it is great!!:laugh: I've heard that it helps some people, but not for me. I'm loseing the old fashion way, hard work and low everything....:wink::wink:
  • kleimola
    Options
    You still have to do all the hard work, it is not a copout. All it is is a fat blocker that blocks some of the fat you eat. You still have to eat healthy and exercise. It is somthing that helps you to stay honest to watching what you eat.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Obviously not everyone is as well informed on how Alli works. Some people NEED a crutch to help them get started. Everybody is different and Alli is not for everyone. It is nothing even close to Phen fen.

I'm not sure I follow this statement, as I am VERY well versed on exactly what alli does. And I disagree wholeheartedly that people need a crutch. Not this kind of crutch for this kind of problem. What they need is good, solid information on how to eat right, exercise, and how their metabolism works.
    Maybe some people THINK they need a crutch, but that's very different from really needing one.
  • Nich0le
    Options

The point is that the FDA has a long standing history of approving pills for diet and just as long a history of having to pull those pills off of the market for a variety of health issues. Taking a NEWLY approved FDA pill in the first 10 years of use puts you into the guinea pig stage of the pill and you have to decide if you want to put yourself in that risk category. :noway:

It is a personal choice, use it if you want but inform yourself completely and ask your doctor if the pill is something you personally should use BEFORE taking it, the opinions on this website or any other are just that and should NOT be used to make a final decision in something like this.
  • kleimola
    Options
    Wholely and completely unnecessary! You don't need it, it's a crutch, if you can lose weight with it, then you can lose weight without it! Why put a chemical in your body that changes your body chemistry when you can do the same job without it? Maybe it will take a little longer, but really, is this about
    I'm not sure I follow this statement, as I am VERY well versed on exactly what alli does. And I disagree wholeheartedly that people need a crutch. Not this kind of crutch for this kind of problem. What they need is good, solid information on how to eat right, exercise, and how their metabolism works.
    Maybe some people THINK they need a crutch, but that's very different from really needing one.
    [/quote]

You are right there is a difference. Alli is mostly about eating healthy and exercising, truthfully the pill is just a crutch, side item to the program, and yes I want it. Sorry that is just the way I feel.
  • kleimola
    Options

The point is that the FDA has a long standing history of approving pills for diet and just as long a history of having to pull those pills off of the market for a variety of health issues. Taking a NEWLY approved FDA pill in the first 10 years of use puts you into the guinea pig stage of the pill and you have to decide if you want to put yourself in that risk category. :noway:

It is a personal choice, use it if you want but inform yourself completely and ask your doctor if the pill is something you personally should use BEFORE taking it, the opinions on this website or any other are just that and should NOT be used to make a final decision in something like this.
    My doctor reccomends it for anyone who needs to loose more than 50 pounds. It is not formulated like past pills on the market.
  • Jewlz
    Jewlz Posts: 135
    Options
    well i think i will just play it safe and not take it. it's expensive anyway. thanks everyone:smile:
  • easy2lov3
    easy2lov3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I used alli for 3 months and i dont think it is worth the scare. Yea it is FDA approved but i just dont trust the pill. you can do it on your own. its all about portion control and what you eat.
  • traska
    traska Posts: 18
    Options
    I started it about 2 weeks back. The second day it was rough but have had no problems since and I am sure I have consumed more than 15 grams of fat per meal. I have a friend who lost a lot of wt. on it but so far I have lost nothing.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    It worked for me it gave me the help I needed at the begining - and I kept the weight off because I also changed my eating and excercise habits.

You know I was a smoker for 28 years and when I quit I used the patch to help me get through
    and get me started so I guess that patch was a crutch.

However it doesn't invalidate my outcome wether it be weight loss or quitting smoking - If it takes a pill or a patch to jump start you to you change your behaviors long term then I say go for it.

It's doesn't make you any less tuff or change that fact that you've worked just as hard to get to your goal.
    Eating healthy and excersing for the long run is key.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    The answer to the original post: No, it does not "help" anyone to eat healthy. YOU help YOURSELF to eat healthy. No pills, no patches, no exotic diet from Dr. Quack. Attitude and responsibility are the things that will set you on a path to good health. Pill makers are raking in billions of $$$ preying on frustrated people who are desparate to lose weight with little or no effort. It takes effort...it takes patience...and it takes a big dose of common sense.
  • kleimola
    Options
    It worked for me it gave me the help I needed at the begining - and I kept the weight off because I also changed my eating and excercise habits.

You know I was a smoker for 28 years and when I quit I used the patch to help me get through
    and get me started so I guess that patch was a crutch.

However it doesn't invalidate my outcome wether it be weight loss or quitting smoking - If it takes a pill or a patch to jump start you to you change your behaviors long term then I say go for it.

It's doesn't make you any less tuff or change that fact that you've worked just as hard to get to your goal.
    Eating healthy and excersing for the long run is key.
    Thank you! I have worked hard to get where I am, eatign very healthy and working out. I guess some people think that everyone who takes a pill thinks that is all they are doing to loose weight.