Protein powder - when is it needed?

Options
I'm after some specific advice.

I've been losing fat for some time now but have not been doing a lot of exercise. Previous to the weight-loss I used to do some weight lifting, which I would like to take back up, but I'm not sure how I should alter my diet in order to keep losing fat, but not risk losing muscle mass.

It's been suggested that I use a little protein powder as I don't get 'quite enough' protein from my diet, and to be honest, I never feel like I could really have ate any more.

How do you know whether or not you're eating 'enough' protein?
Is not being able to eat enough protein in your diet enough of a reason to supplement it (whilst doing resistance work)?
Is there any chance that I will put weight ON?? I'm still going to monitor total calories and macro nutrients when I start working out.

BB

Replies

• tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Just adding protein will not cause you to put weight on - assuming you are accounting for the calorie count of the protein powder.

Starting Strength Training can temporarily cause you to "add" on weight on the scale. but it is water weight, related to the new stresses you are adding to your muscle tissues, and this is related to the repair process, and perfectly normal.

After a few weeks, it balances out and you will lose the water gain. But every time you change out your routine, or add heavier weights, you may see it again. This is true with other exercise forms also, when you make changes.

but is not a bad thing.

Scale weight alone should NEVER be your main guide. As it cannot adequately measure body composition, it measures everything, undigested food, water weight, fat, muscle, bone, the glass of water you just had. :)

Much better to also use a tape measure (especially when weight lifting) and measure inches lost also.

Often I do not lose scale weight, or may gain a pound or two - but my clothing fits looser, I look smaller, and tape measurements show I have lost thickness and fat. I weigh much heavier then I look based on my clothing, and inch size. This is because of the amount of lean muscle I carry - which makes me look tighter and more toned.

Thats really what you want, to "look" better. No one cares how much you weight in numbers - but they notice what you look like. And your Body Fat levels should be dropping, which is needed for better health.

If you are are losing weight, and more so adding on strength training - you SHOULD have higher protein levels to maintain lean muscle mass.

For me, I actually lose fat weight faster, and feel better over all, and improve in strength gains when I have higher protein amounts. When my protein drop, fat loss stall, I also stall in exercise improvement, tiredness feelings increase.

Typical rule of thumb is 1 gram per pound or lean body mass.

If you are cutting cals to lose weight, you will probably need to supplement with a protein drink or bar once or twice a day to meet your needs. Just depends on your diet, and how many calories you are allowed.

Their are many good options about 120-150 cal per scoop with 20-24 grams or protein that taste yummy. ON Whey Gold, BSN Lean Dessert are two I like. BSN Syntha -6 is also good, at 200 cals a scoop 20 or so grams of protein.

You can use this formula to calculate Lean Muscle Mass for you.
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/body-fat-chart.php

Or use your goal weight, and eat 1 gram per pound of that, but it WILL be higher then the Lean mass calculation option, so may be harder to reach, with calories you have available.
  • BarbelleBaby
    Options
    Thanks for all the effort you've put in. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it. I might look into buying some then, though I might first have a week of trying to eat enough protein - guided by 1g per lb of bodyweight.

At the moment I'm lifting light due to easing back into it so will consider it more when I up the weights. I've taken a range of measurements so hopefully these will help to be y new guide. I agree with what you said about the weight itself not being a great guide, but lately it's all I've used so I'm desperate to keep the feeling of achievement up!

I guess I should just get on with lifting, after all, it can only help with fat loss.

Thanks again
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    No problem - do take measurements. It helps more then you can imagine, especially when the scale does not move for three-four weeks.

(Happens to me all the time - especially common when you are close to your goal range)

But you see you have lost an inch on your waist, or whatever. At least you know you are still progressing.