Sparkling water, yay or nay?

jadedone
jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
I need to come clean. I am addicted to sparkling water. I mostly quit soda at around age 12 -- I think I OD on them. I switched to tea and lemonade. Since then, I might have one a month. Maybe. If the flavor sounds great I'll have one. So 90% of the time, if I am out I'll drink water or unsweetened tea (or very lightly sweetened) with occasional treats of "sparklers" or fresh juice.

But some time in recent years I became enamored with sparkling water. I would have it occasionally here and there if I felt like a drink with a deli lunch. Lemon or lime. One of my local stores has mint and also pomegranate.

Over the holidays I got a Sodastream. Mostly for the sparkling water, but I do plan to experiment with my own homemade syrups when the weather gets warmer for special occasions. I like to mix sparkling water and iced tea too.

Anyway, my question is. Do you think I should cut back on plain sparkling water as I am trying to lose weight? I drink about 1-2 liters per week.

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    If you watch calories and carbs there wouldn't be a need to cut back or stop. I love my soda stream. And if you check reputable websites (mayo clinic) they have that "diet" drinks have not been proven to affect weight loss.
  • Hikaru37
    Hikaru37 Posts: 177 Member
    It's just carbonated water, it'll give you all the benefits of still water and have the same zero calories but just be fizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy

Unless it does have stuff added in which case it may have the teeniest amount of cals
    Personally I think there's nothing wrong with it, you're still picking a better option than coke and stuff :D
  • jadedone
    If you watch calories and carbs there wouldn't be a need to cut back or stop. I love my soda stream. And if you check reputable websites (mayo clinic) they have that "diet" drinks have not been proven to affect weight loss.

I think diet drinks are gross! The new school coke zeros and sprite zeros are a little better, but I can rarely finish more than 8 oz of any soda.

My friend brought me coke from japan, it was made from sugar, less sweet and in a 7 oz can. It was perfect! :)
  • Watch out for sodium in bottled seltzer (you can probably avoid this with the sodaStream). Around here we have Polar which is relatively sodium-free. I used to drink seltzer/club soda all the time, but have switched to plain water. I do not drink any other sodas (too sweet for me - as if there is such a thing!)

PS: My kids love Mio and have that occasionally, but I wish it didn't have so much dye/chemicals. Can you get dye/chemical-free flavoring for the Soda Stream?
  • jadedone
    Watch out for sodium in bottled seltzer (you can probably avoid this with the sodaStream). Around here we have Polar which is relatively sodium-free. I used to drink seltzer/club soda all the time, but have switched to plain water. I do not drink any other sodas (too sweet for me - as if there is such a thing!)
    I noticed that! I usually get Pellegrino or Whole Foods brand.
    PS: My kids love Mio and have that occasionally, but I wish it didn't have so much dye/chemicals. Can you get dye/chemical-free flavoring for the Soda Stream?

The Sodastream packaged ones have dyes and artificial ingredients. They also have spenda in all of the flavors. Supposedly there is an all natural syrup coming soon or out. I haven't even opened the Sodastream ones. :)

I am more interested in making my own syrup. I have one so far: cinnamon, ginger, vanilla!
  • cafel3
    cafel3 Posts: 89
    I usually buy Vintage or Giant brand seltzer (both 0 cal, 0 sodium, 0 sugar).
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Sparkling water, unless it contains sodium as some bottled ones do but that won't be an issue with your soda stream, are just as good for you as plain water, so drink it up! I just got a sodastream myself and am in heaven! All the fizzy water I want, whenever I want!

And even with the sodium, seltzer is far better for you than soda. I'm also working on experimenting with making my own flavor mixes to use with my soda stream, usually I just use a little juice if I want something more than water. But I made a really good gingerale the other day and am working on a 'cola' type thing. You can find some really good recipes online.