Losing weight by simple calorie counting!

Options
2»

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    this has happened to probably most people on here.... that's why a lot of us get to where we were - from not counting what we eat and grossly overeating.....

Yeah I added up what a 'regular' day before MFP would have been, and it was right around 3000 calories. No wonder I kept slowly gaining weight.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,153 Member
    Options
    Yup. That is how I lost most of my weight. What I found is often the veggies become a preferable choice because I can have a huge serving of say broccoli for only 100 calories where one cookie would get me close to the same number of calories, but it is much smaller.
  • ericapage
    ericapage Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting and journaling my daily food intake have been the only thing that has ever helped me lose weight. It keeps you aware of what you're eating. If you pig out, it's a frightening site to see all those fat grams and calories in black in white staring at you! :tongue: For me anyway, it prevents me from wanting to eat poorly.
  • evelyngrice
    evelyngrice Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is exactly what I do.

I live with my boyfriend who is extremely skinny, and I cook for us both. So when I decided to lose weight, we agreed that we would not change any of the evening meals we have together, because it would not be fair on him. Occasionally I have a different side dish to what he has, but not very often :)

I work out a lot too, but I can go a week without working out & have a really good weigh in during that week off :)
  • Sho_Rowell
    Sho_Rowell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I am doing better with MFP than I had ever done on Weight Watchers. I think that losing weight by simple calorie counting is super simple.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new here :) I'm excited after reading you're message :) I've been doing weight watchers...from Oct 3 through January 2 I lost 16 pounds. I find that it's easier to keep up with what I eat using this site (and it's free!) than it is to write everything so I'm trying it out. Today is only my second day, but I'm finding that I'm eating WAAAAY less on a good day, than I thought I was. I've put in my breakfast and what I'm having for lunch and dinner and a snack...and well, I'm still almost 800 calories short for the day! I want to make better choices with what I eat (but I love that I can eat anything I want in moderation), but now it's hard...I know I'll be full after my meals....but feel the need to eat those other calories because it CAN'T be healthy to only eay around 600 calories a day! I'm finding myself asking what's not "too" bad that I can eat but will get rid of some of the calories. Anyway...I'm just excited to see that just by calorie counting you can loose weight ;) I'm excited for my weigh in next Tuesday after counting for a week :)

I have failed 3 times at Weight Watchers. It gets to be too time consuming trying to figure out your points, especially if you are cooking a meal and need to figure the whole recipe. I thought that Weight Watchers became more work than I wanted to put into my diet. With MFP it figures everything for you and there is an app on my phone for when I am not near a computer. I love the Recipe Builder and the food database on here is soo awesome! I have only been on here just short of 2 weeks and I LOVE IT!! I am doing better in the first 2 weeks of MFP than I did in a whole month of Weight Watchers.

One last note... The support and inspiring people here are amazing.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much anything. In general I'd say my diet is more protein and veggies than before MFP, because I'm more aware of those things when I have the numbers in front of me, but I eat carbs of every color, sweets, red meat, occasional soda or alcohol, etc. I just have less of it. I lost 13 lbs in 3 1/2 months and have maintained it for almost 6 months.
  • ksloop00
    ksloop00 Posts: 144
    Options
    I've lost 43 lbs. since April 11, 2011 with just calorie counting and a little exercise.
  • Mrs_ALM
    Mrs_ALM Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I know! I know! That's what MFP is for. lol However I was wondering if I was the only one this was happening to. What I mean is I still eat anything and everything (white bread, rice, meats etc...) the only difference is that I count all my calories, drink only water, rarely and rarely eat sweets. I tried incorporating more veggies and it hasn't totally worked out but I still try my best to do so. Anyways, the point is I managed to lose 10lbs in 2 months by simply counting calories and i try to make better choices but i don't absolutely limit myself! Has this happened to anybody?

It has for me as well...I think it's the fact that you are more aware of what you are eating and likely steering clear of the really horrible stuff. At least that's what's happening for me. :)
  • cpow81
    cpow81 Posts: 114
    Options
    I am simply counting calories as well and lost 25lbs in 4 months. I've been on maintenance for almost 1 month and doing great.

My #1 issue before MFP was portion control and using MFP has been a huge eye opener. I am still able to eat foods I love, but just 1 portion instead of 5 :)
  • amysuemartin718
    amysuemartin718 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yep... I still eat fast food- I just make different choices.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Reading the posts I have to agree, you can do it on calorie counting for awhile, but eventually you will realize that being hungry sucks and you will start exploring some of the fun ways to expand your veggie toolbox. Folks think too small on the veggies, just what they are comfortable with cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, etc. Go to a couple of healthy cooking websites, there are tons of really fun foods you can eat a ton of for few calories. As the weight comes off and you get closer to only having 1200 calories to play with then the veggies will go far to alleviate the hunger.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    P.s. you get more food if you make halthy choices...if your calorie goal is 1200 and you eat junk you only get very little food..but if you eat veggies, priteins etc...you will get WAY more AND be full lots longer!!

^This. Kudos to you, and genuinely no judgment here. But if you decide to go this route, you might be surprised how much more volume you're allowed when you make different choices. I'm a hungry girl with a big ol' appetite, so this matters a lot to me (along with other healthy outcomes beyond just getting skinnier).
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I cut back on junk a lot yes - but I still have it - in proportion.
  • alyssaguirguis
    Options
    I have changed a lot of what I eat bc as a previous poster said, if you make healthier choices you can eat so much more for your calories! I still eat pizza for example (and not pita pizza or anything...the real thing) but I have 1-2 slices and then have a big side of salad with no dressing or a big plate of broccoli with it. Not hungry when I'm done but didn't eat my usual four pieces of pizza to get there...
    Likewise when cookin home, my hubby will have rice as his side with stir fry, and I have a big plate of veggies under mine. I don't feel deprived (who eats stir fry for the taste of the rice?) of flavor or fullness.
    I'm old enough though to need to worry about health and not just weight, so I make sure to trade out a lot of my old junky foods for veggies, fruit and lean protein.
  • lovenhppnss
    lovenhppnss Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am trying to focus on ADDING good stuff in to my diet and not getting rid of anything. I do much better thinking I can have whatever I want, even if I don't have it. But by adding more veggies and fruit, I naturally eat less junk.

I've only been a member 10 days, but so far I love this site and everyone I've had the fortune to meet here.
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new here :) I'm excited after reading you're message :) I've been doing weight watchers...from Oct 3 through January 2 I lost 16 pounds. I find that it's easier to keep up with what I eat using this site (and it's free!) than it is to write everything so I'm trying it out. Today is only my second day, but I'm finding that I'm eating WAAAAY less on a good day, than I thought I was. I've put in my breakfast and what I'm having for lunch and dinner and a snack...and well, I'm still almost 800 calories short for the day! I want to make better choices with what I eat (but I love that I can eat anything I want in moderation), but now it's hard...I know I'll be full after my meals....but feel the need to eat those other calories because it CAN'T be healthy to only eay around 600 calories a day! I'm finding myself asking what's not "too" bad that I can eat but will get rid of some of the calories. Anyway...I'm just excited to see that just by calorie counting you can loose weight ;) I'm excited for my weigh in next Tuesday after counting for a week :)

I have failed 3 times at Weight Watchers. It gets to be too time consuming trying to figure out your points, especially if you are cooking a meal and need to figure the whole recipe. I thought that Weight Watchers became more work than I wanted to put into my diet. With MFP it figures everything for you and there is an app on my phone for when I am not near a computer. I love the Recipe Builder and the food database on here is soo awesome! I have only been on here just short of 2 weeks and I LOVE IT!! I am doing better in the first 2 weeks of MFP than I did in a whole month of Weight Watchers.

One last note... The support and inspiring people here are amazing.

I too failed miserably at Weight Watchers. I think they encourage way too much processed food (which I have now eliminated for the most part because I notice it actually makes me hungrier) and I was always starving!! If I'm hungry, I'm miserable and give up. This has been much better for me.

I've slowly made changes over the last few years to my eating habits without actively trying to lose weight until about a month ago. First I gave up soda, then I tried to incorporate more fruits and veggies into my diet and cut back on the processed food (the most difficult part). I cut waaaaaaay back on eating out and I am eliminating fast food (which I have done multiple times over the years, but hope it sticks this time). Now I eat almost all home-cooked meals and eat meat only 1-2x per week. This drastic change has come over a long time and I know not everyone can or will want to make such a drastic change but for me, all the processed food was really doing me in (I still eat processed things that are a pain to make yourself, like tortillas)! I can survive on a lot fewer calories and eat a ton more food now that it consists of mainly "whole" foods.

I think once you start to see the weight coming off, you may end up making more healthy choices and incorporating exercise, but hey if not, good for you if you can stick to it! I say, whatever works! :-)

Oh and I will still eat mac n cheese and pizza, let's face it I couldn't give those up completely! I haven't had any yet, but when I do I will be sure it's a once in a while thing and not a once a week thing!
  • trhops
    trhops Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I eat alot of sweets and snacks but I count it all everyday and rarely go over my allowed calories.