How to get more protein into my diet?

Options
Hi guys! So I've been tracking my nutrients, and I've noticed that I don't eat enough protein during the day! Any suggestions on how to increase? I almost never crave it -- I'd rather have a salad or a piece of fruit.. help?

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, cottage cheese, greek yogurt.

ETA: Add protein to your salads. Chicken, shrimp.
  • docsallen
    docsallen Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    are you a vegetarian? I add chicken and shrimp to salads and make it a meal. If you don't eat/like meat, add hard-boiled egg to salad, egg whites for breakfast (low in cal and chol), glass of skim/low-fat milk, cottage cheese (I mix mine with yogurt), protein bar or drink. I am trying to follow a high-protein diet and I find it hard to get enough protein and still control my caloric intake. But I still manage to get about 100g/day of protein.
  • Lady_Chilli
    Lady_Chilli Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Tuna, Chicken, Beef, Eggs etc you don't need a lot adding to your meals to get enough protein in a day so it shouldnt be too bad.
  • FierceFitBeautiful
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, I just don't really like meat that much! I'm definitely going to try adding more to my salads because I have those just about every day, and I love the idea of mixing cottage cheese and yogurt! Sounds like a yummy breakfast :)
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I make sure to get in 30 grams with each meal or snack.....I put a scoop of whey protein powder in my coffee in the morning and it is delicious (just don't put it into extremely hot coffee or it will turn into rubber!). I also drink an RTD protein shake everyday on the way home from work along with an apple. I get them at Costco (premier nutrition). Right there alone is close to 60 grams already....it isn't hard. I end up with between 150 and 180 per day and I only eat meat twice a day. Yogurt and cottage cheese have great protein (especially before bed) and I also mix protein powder right into them. Edamame is also loaded.....so are egg whites. If you don't groove on protein powder, you can also make a protein smoothie with pasturized egg whites from the store. You don't need to cook them at all.....
  • FierceFitBeautiful
    Options
    Thanks! I might start mixing the powder into things I already eat often, like the yogurt, because I'm not a huge fan of it on its own!
  • Casi23
    Casi23 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Add some yummy-flavor of protein powder to dry oatmeal before adding the hot water. Depending on what flavor you add it can either hide really well - or make it taste better! I personally don't like oatmeal unless I add some to it..