Is Wii Dance any good for losing weight?

Options
Hi,

I'm looking for ways to exercise that doesn't involve the gym or sport, both of which bore me. I was thinking about trying Wii Just Dance, or probably the ABBA one as I'm a big ABBA fan. Maybe the Broadway one too, especially as that always seems to be reduced.

I have no coordination and know I will look like a total plonker doing it, so wll have to brick up and double layer board up all windows and doors not even allowing sunlight into the room to witness the embarassing spectacle of me attempting to dance. :embarassed:

Whilst I'm sure they are great fun, are they actually any good for helping to lose weight? I know there are a couple of Zumba ones and Zumba is very popular at the moment but that music drives me much. If I get one of these things it's going to have to be mor pop music, although I haven't heard of half of the songs as i don't follow the charts.

So Wii Just Dance and their like (excluding Zumba) good for losing wright or just a fun game?

Thanks for any replies. :smile:

Replies

• tracylee679
    tracylee679 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Just Dance games are great fun. They have a good mix of older and new hits and the moves for the most part are pretty straight forward. As for helping to lose weight I think that anything that burns calories will help you lose wieght and if you are having fun in the process even better! You can even compete with yourself to improve your high score which is cool. Hope this helps!

Tracy
  • Mmeeker09
    Options
    After one song on Wii dance I am sweatin! I think it is a great work out! I try for atleast a half hour of it. It really all depends on how much effort you put into it though. If you really get into it and do the moves with a lot of energy you will burn a lot more. My fiance just bought a Kinect and the dance central for that is awesome because it moniters your hold body not just one hand.
  • jsharpnack
    jsharpnack Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    the Wii Zumba is an AMAZING work out. Each song is only 2-3 minutes long but you really feel it. It has three levels of difficulty for you to choose as well. Have fun!
  • cpar621
    cpar621 Posts: 26
    Options
    Anything that gets you moving and motivated will help you lose weight! Sure, some "Shred" or "Intensity" workout is going to burn a lot more calories, but the key is consistency--it adds up! Good for you!
  • TGSgirl2017
    TGSgirl2017 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just dance 3 has options for more sweating exercises to get a bettsr workout
  • Pete1471
    Pete1471 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks for all the various replies.

Today I took the plunge and bought the Abba one to get in touch with my inner "Dancing Queen" :laugh:

Hopefully I'll get to try it out tomorrow. but I have 3 weeks homework that needs to be done by Monday morning so I may have to hold off for a little bit.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I burn pretty good calories in Just dance 2. I want to get Just dance 3.
  • Pete1471
    Options
    Cool,

I wonder how many of these games they can release before people start to tire of them?

I'm not very techy at all. If your Wii is connected to the internet can you play against people online?
  • AngieELS
    Options
    I agree about Wii Zumba. Check out this Zumba calories calculator..

http://www.zumbacalories.com/
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've worn my HRM while plahing Just Dance 2 and get a good burn with just three songs or so. Of course some songs are tougher than others. I haven't tried Just Dance 3 yet, but Kriss Kross' Jump on JD2 is a tough and gives a great burn with all that jumping! And it's fun. :)
  • yoshi91610
    yoshi91610 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

So Wii Just Dance and their like (excluding Zumba) good for losing wright or just a fun game?

Thanks for any replies. :smile:

Sorry I don't know about Just Dance, I have Zumba 2 :( But it is amazing! I look ridiculuous trust me, but it is so fun i hardly realize it's exercise! I am sure that Just Dance would be just as fun, and anything that gets your heart rate up is cardio.
  • Pete1471
    Options
    Having seen various people looking silly doing this game on Youtube it does look like it's a good laugh.

If it's possible to play against each other online perhaps some kind of competition tournament could be set up with all the people on here.
  • yoshi91610
    yoshi91610 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I agree about Wii Zumba. Check out this Zumba calories calculator..

http://www.zumbacalories.com/

OMG thank you for this! I have literally been searching on the internet all last night for something like this, since I didn't finish my workout my Zumba 2 didn't tell me how much I burned!
  • longoverdue
    longoverdue Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have Zumba and Just dance 3, I like the just dance better. I get a higher burn with just dance than Zumba (I have a body media to track). My kids also like just dance so I get to work out with them.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    My daughter recently broke out her Just Dance 2 again, and I do some songs along with her just for fun. The only problem is...the fun wears off after about 3 minutes, because that definitely IS a workout.

My fave song to dance to is S.O.S btw.
  • Foxywake
    Foxywake Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have Zumba 2 and absolutely love it!! As long as you are moving, it doesn't matter what you look like. I frighten my cats with my attempts at looking like a zumba pro!!!

11030115.png
  • Pete1471
    Options
    Whilst looking online for games I saw that in the UK they are realeasing Strictly Come Dancing (Dancing with the stars in the US) which is a bit of a puzzler as to how you do it if you don't have a partner to dance with.

I went off to Youtube to see if I could find a trailer but nothing. I did find that there are two Dancing with the stars games on the Wii in the US. I looked at the trailer for the first one and it looks bloody hard. Not only do you have the hand controls you have to use a dance mat as well for all the different foot steps.
    I would imagine that you burn serious calories doing that one, but it's going to make you eran them. Just out of interest has anyone tried this game?

If you haven't seen it do a search for Dancing with the stars - Wii trailer on Youtube.
  • blen85
    blen85 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I burn pretty good calories in Just dance 2. I want to get Just dance 3.

I have Just Dance 3.. its ALOT of fun (:
  • kristinamc90
    Options
    I use the just sweat option in Just Dance 2. It has helped me because I hate going to the gym. I'd rather dance. I also do the Michael Jackson experience because, come on, that man has got some killer moves and you sweat like crazy.