Core exercise = hard

Options
So I did situps TWO days ago right and I just tried to do it again and my abs are still sore and I know ill cramp up if I try to do them today! My question is how do people work them out everyday?

Replies

• chicklidell
    Options
    I'd more likely question why they would. It's not necessary. You excersice your abs no more or no less then you would any other body part. Remember as well, when you lift weight, your core is put into action and is working to stabilize.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to just added the Les Mills CXWorks program which is a 30 minute core program and I do it 2-3 times a week and have really noticed a difference! I was definitely sore when I first started but I'm getting better at it and I'm generally not sore the next day. They are going to be launching the new set though this week so that might change!
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Ab soreness is the worst, man! Everything you do engages the core.

I had no idea how weak I was in that area until the first time I did abripperx.
  • rwobschall
    rwobschall Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    And also remember not to push yourself to hard that you are sore for that long. You need to build up to that just like you do the first time you lift weights if you haven't lifted weights in years and go to the gym for the first time and lift heavy or try to lift like you have been lifting for years your body will be sore and also you risk the chance of injury so take it slow and everything takes time but keep at it.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    So I did situps TWO days ago right and I just tried to do it again and my abs are still sore and I know ill cramp up if I try to do them today! My question is how do people work them out everyday?
    They do it to their own detriment.
    I hit them twice a week - that's enough.
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    the stronger they get, the more often you'll be able to do them without the soreness.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I work my abs by doing front squats.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    the abs are a muscle just like the chest, back, shoulders, quads, etc. the same muscle should not be stressed on consecutive days. a lot of folks overwork their abs believing, in some way, that ab work will help them get a tight stomach. it won't. you have to burn the fat away first. still, its important to have a strong core and doing some core exercises has its benefits.

sit-ups are unnecessary and potentially do more harm than good. switch to planks and ball roll-outs. pikes on the stability ball are considered one of the best core exercises.

there are also some compound exercises that are great for the core (and other muscles). burpees. mountain climbers. medicine ball smashes (my fave).
  • chicklidell
    Options
    My opinion on ab exercises, hanging leg raises...no ther ab exercise necessary. Planks are great for beginners, I can hold one forever though even with weight on my back and doing walkouts, still very easy..but the hanging raises, get me everytime.