losing your period--NOT eating disorder but BODY FAT

Options
2»

Replies

• tunktunk5583
    tunktunk5583 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering about this yesterday.

I am on BC but I didn't get my "period" this week and I am a little worried (for that 1% chance of getting pregnant). This is the first time I didn't get it while on BC. My BF is about 18% at the moment and I'm at around 116lbs.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I don't have them now due to my depo shot, but back in high school i would get mine twice a year....once during the 2 week off season after softball and before basketball and once during the 2 week offseason after basketball and before softball lol.

makes perfect sense. rest = period. exercise = no period.

I have seen a doctor BTW. They're doing tests to make sure everything is working okay despite the lack of menstruation. We'll see but I think it's just exercise/BF % related.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Not sure on the body fat percent. but my last period was Sept of 2011..The dr contributes it to my big weight loss in 2011 (96 pounds), but Im not sure thats why. I have been maintaining since late Aug. They ran blood tests and everything came back fine. If I don't get it by March, Im suppose to call them again. We will see!! Glad to see Im not the only one in this boat!! :)
  • fevre
    fevre Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, it might be valuable to do a bit of research on Female Athlete Triad... caused primarily by too much exercise and not eating back enough of your exercise calories, the three symptoms are low energy (from not enough food, though it should be specified that even athletes who DO NOT have anorexia can still meet this), loss of period, and osteoporosis caused by the lack of period. It's pretty dangerous, and one of the big problems involved with it is that people who show the symptoms tend to be on athletic teams (hence the name) and assume that if it's happening to all of them, then it's okay - but it's dangerous!

Also remember that men's body fat percentage is very different from women's, as a woman's body REQUIRES a certain amount of body fat.
  • MaggieFit622
    Options
    I once didn't have my period for a whole year and then I took BC for a while in order to get it. But I stopped the BC b/c of the effects it had on my body...so now I have it every other month. I just contribute it to low BF. I have a percentage of 19 or 20%.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    conversely, i stopped getting mine with too MUCH body fat.
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, it might be valuable to do a bit of research on Female Athlete Triad... caused primarily by too much exercise and not eating back enough of your exercise calories, the three symptoms are low energy (from not enough food, though it should be specified that even athletes who DO NOT have anorexia can still meet this), loss of period, and osteoporosis caused by the lack of period. It's pretty dangerous, and one of the big problems involved with it is that people who show the symptoms tend to be on athletic teams (hence the name) and assume that if it's happening to all of them, then it's okay - but it's dangerous!

Also remember that men's body fat percentage is very different from women's, as a woman's body REQUIRES a certain amount of body fat.

This.

I would definitely get checked out by a doctor. I didn't have a period for a long, long time and am going to ask my dr for a DEXA (bone density) scan next week. My mom developed osteoporosis at a very young age.