Recipe Swap Week 15

Options
124»

Replies

• inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Are you still doing this? I would be interested as well?

Yes! I'll add you. Just check out the most recent week: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/434706-recipe-swap-week-16
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Fiesta Chicken and Rice

Generic - Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese, 0.5 cup
    Laughing Cow (Cheese Wedge) - Light Queso Fresco & Chipotle, 2 wedge 21g
    Members Mark - Chicken Breast - Skinless - Boneless, 4 oz piece
    Rice - White, long-grain, regular, cooked, 6 cup
    Great Value - Light Sour Cream, 0.5 container (30 tbsp ea.)
    Great Value - Thick & Chunky Salsa, Mild, 1 container (48 tbsp ea.)

It's a little heavy on the sodium. In a large bowl, combine cooked riced, cooked and shredded chicken, salsa, sour cream, and Laughing Cow cheese. Mix until well blended. Place mixture into a casserole dish and press out to edges with back of a spoon. Top with shredded cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.

Serves 8

Calories - 248
    Carbs - 42
    Fat - 4
    Protein - 9
    Potassium - 313
    Sodium - 842

Again... not the best on sodium, but it is low calorie and very tasty.

ENJOY!

OK, I just made this and it wasn't great. I used three times the chicken. The recipe as I read it calls for 30 tablespoons of sour cream which is just shy 2 cups and 48 tablespoons of salsa which is around 3 cups. I had the sour cream but only had 2 cups of salsa. As it was it was very pink. I should have backed off the sour cream since I didn't have all of the salsa. But if I had used all of the salsa it would have been soupy! So, did I read the recipe wrong? I was so looking forward to this but it just fell short. How did I get such a different outcome?
  • Thirstygirl
    Thirstygirl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Blubtrfly18
    Options
    Bumping. Add me please :)
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Bumping. Add me please :)
    S
    Sure! Just check out our most recent week: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/434706-recipe-swap-week-16
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be counted in as well!
  • karanmwk
    karanmwk Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Love this! Always needing new recipes. Please add me! Thanks!
  • IronCrossFitness
    Options
    I would like to join this I am going to make this chicken :D I am looking for friends here Nanc
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    OK, I just made this and it wasn't great. I used three times the chicken. The recipe as I read it calls for 30 tablespoons of sour cream which is just shy 2 cups and 48 tablespoons of salsa which is around 3 cups. I had the sour cream but only had 2 cups of salsa. As it was it was very pink. I should have backed off the sour cream since I didn't have all of the salsa. But if I had used all of the salsa it would have been soupy! So, did I read the recipe wrong? I was so looking forward to this but it just fell short. How did I get such a different outcome?

Was it bland? The salsa basically acts as the seasoning in this recipe, so you used triple the protein but 1/3 less flavoring, which might account for the unsatisfactory result.

Also it is just a bit soupy before it goes in the oven. You need to bake it, take it out, and then let it sit for 5-10 minutes to firm up a bit before serving. Most casserole type dishes benefit from a little time to "set" out of the oven. If you made this with fresh rice, it will probably require a bit less moisture than if you use leftover rice, as rice dries out some in the fridge.

Apart from that I don't know what may have happened. Did you make any other changed?
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Lebanese Rice and Lentil Soup (from http://www.tasteofbeirut.com/2009/10/red-lentil-and-rice-soup/)

2 cups of red lentils
    1/3 cup of white rice (I used the cheapest one and it worked well)
    6 cups of chicken broth or vegetable broth
    1 onion, chopped
    5 garlic cloves (my addition)
    2 tablespoons of oil (I used olive oil)
    salt, pepper to taste
    2 teaspoon of ground cumin
    1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes

METHOD:

Heat oil in a large pot
    Fry garlic and onion until golden
    Pour the broth and the lentils and all the seasoning minus the salt
    When the lentils are soft and have turned mushy, puree the mixture using an immersion blender (optional)
    Pour the lentils back in the pot and add the rice
    Return to a boil and lower the heat. Simmer gently until the rice is cooked
    Adjust seasonings and serve hot.

**I added plenty of lemon juice before serving... YUMMY!

This is tonight's menu. I have regular brown lentils in the house. Did anyone try it with another kind of lentil? Will probably add some carrots as we have some that need to be used up.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Adding the two newest requested :)
  • hwshah
    hwshah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i want to join please.
  • lisarawski
    lisarawski Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would like to join in! Thanks! This is a super idea and I can't wait to get cooking!
  • Sara1281
    Options
    Add me please, as well!
  • biddie1
    biddie1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Please add me to your mailing list, thank you
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Adding the new people
  • cowgirlnabby
    Options
    Please add me as well...Thanks!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Please add me as well...Thanks!

Welcome!
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options

Was it bland? The salsa basically acts as the seasoning in this recipe, so you used triple the protein but 1/3 less flavoring, which might account for the unsatisfactory result.

Also it is just a bit soupy before it goes in the oven. You need to bake it, take it out, and then let it sit for 5-10 minutes to firm up a bit before serving. Most casserole type dishes benefit from a little time to "set" out of the oven. If you made this with fresh rice, it will probably require a bit less moisture than if you use leftover rice, as rice dries out some in the fridge.

Apart from that I don't know what may have happened. Did you make any other changed?

I will try this one more time and use more salsa and hotter salsa. It has possibilities.